Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

First off, I want to thank everybody in these HI forums. It's such an interactive and informative forum. Threads I have posted in this or threads I just read are full of great info with lots of feedback!

I posted quite few posts in both Oahu and Big Island forums about spending time in both islands and many people kept saying that I should only do one island. Well we have decided that's the way to go. We are going to spend our entire time on Oahu and skip the BI for now.

Now, we don't travel like most people. We move around a LOT and rarely stay in a hotel for more than 2 days and more often than not it's a different hotel every night. .

So while we are staying in many locations in Oahu, this will actually be one of our more relaxing trips since we are spending larger chunks of time in areas than we normally do.

But I would still like some feedback on our itinerary because I look at everything people say.

We are flying from Washington DC to San Diego staying two nights in San Diego and then will arrive in Honolulu on a Monday afternoon in July.

2 nights: Hilton Hawaiian Village resort (paying extra for Rainbow Tower with view of Diamond Head/ocean)

2 nights: Sheraton Waikiki resort (Also paying for that view of Diamond Head/ocean)

4 nights: Whole Beach House rental on North Shore near the Polynesian Cultural Center.

2 nights: Turtle Bay resort on North Shore

Will fly to San Diego for another 2 night stay before a flight back to DC.

I'm a photographer so that's one reason we are staying in two resorts in Waikiki. I want to get some really good photos from the balconies of both towers. The other reason is we would like to see both resorts.

We will have a car so while on the north shore we can do anything anywhere on the island. The beach house has AC (july) and is right on the beach.

We want to check out Turtle Bay and will be staying in the ocean cottages.

I think we might only rent a car after we leave the waikiki resorts but have not decided that yet.

We plan to do everything we can so even ten days, it appears, we will have a pretty full schedule but will reserve plenty of time to relax.

We are staying in San Diego to break up the long flight from the east coast and to spend time in one of my favorite cities and for photography reasons.

So anybody have any thoughts, advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

So anybody have any thoughts, advice?
Sounds like fun.

What sort of advice are you looking for specifically?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sounds like fun.

What sort of advice are you looking for specifically?
One big question is rental car. Cab from HNL to Waikiki is about $45, does that sound right? Should I go back to HNL to rent the car after a few days in Waikiki? I will need to drop it off at HNL. I'm not hearing great things about renting from the Waikiki area hotels.

Without listing all the things we have looked at doing, I think it might be better to just solicit ideas. It seems like every time I read a new post, I see something new to do or see. We will be doing Pearl Harbor for sure but nothing else is set in stone. I think I might even save Pearl Harbor for a day while we are on the north shore and just drive there rather than mess with the shuttles and won't have time to bring the car back there if it's a huge fee to bring it back to a different location.

I think we will be renting bikes for much of trip so I'm looking for a good place to rent bikes long term and some great trail options. I have not found a good comprehensive bike trail map of Oahu yet.

Local food. We have never been to HI, so while I'm not typically into tourist areas of cities, this is one exception. Gotta spend time in Waikiki. However I want to get out and explore the real parts of the island and find some nice local places to eat and shop.

Best parks and times to go to them. We want to see dolphins etc if possible. We will also be doing tours, but want to place to drive to and see for ourselves as well. Should we save Diamond Head for when we are on the North Shore and drive there or do it while we are in Waikiki?

Polynesian Cultural Center? Good place to go?

My kids are 16 and 18 and very mature and well traveled, so nothing too "family" oriented or too cheesy.

Is a day trip to Big Island worth it? It's still a possibility to try to fit a day trip in. We originally were going to spend 3-4 days there. I know they wanted to see the Volcanoes National Park and we may never get back, so there is still a remote chance of taking one of those long day trips to fly out and back the same day. I just don't want it too make the trip too busy and tiring and spending 2k for a day trip to see a mountain seems hard to justify.

Thanks!

Last edited by kcmo; 04-24-2016 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 11:48 PM

Cab from HNL to Waikiki is a good $45 + tip. Some people uber in, but you'll need to get off the airport property. Many people take the shuttle bus to Thrifty and catch an uber from there - a pain though with family and kids.

Do not rent a car from the airport if you can avoid it. Special airport taxes really drive up the rate. Rent from a brand name if possible in Waikiki or check out Enterprise (not at airport).

Honolulu/Oahu isn't very bike friendly.

For a day trip to BI. If you do it, do a tour for the day trip. Your concierge at the Hilton or Sheraton can arrange it. Or, you can plan it yourself. Volcanoe is the most popular day trip from Oahu. It will be pricey - probably $300+ per person.

Do Diamond Head hike while in Waikiki. Take an uber. Would not make sense to drive from north shore.

Try Polynesian Cultural Center while on North Shore.

You should check out Pearl Harbor on way to North Shore. You need tickets in advance.

Try Yelp for food options. Very active on Oahu. Waikiki isn't all tourists but you can uber just about anywhere for other food option from Chinatown to Kahala.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Polynesian Cultural Center? Good place to go?
YES!
At the Polynesian Cultural Center get their Super Ambassador package. It's worth every penny to have the tour guide with you. You will have reserved front row seats to everything and they know how to plan it out so that you will see everything possible in one day. Also, save your tickets and you can go back a 2nd day free.
We did this and it was wonderful. We learned a lot, participated in many activities and got to taste fun treats from around Polynesia.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 AM

70 posts, read 98,656 times
I may be in the minority regarding the Polynesian Cultural Center, but if you don't want anything too family oriented or cheesy, you may not like it. My wife and I went 2 years ago (we don't have kids), and we found it boring, the food was mediocre, and the nighttime show was simply too long. I think it would be better suited for young children, but I don't imagine teenagers would be that impressed. That said, it is very popular.

Something else to consider, since you like to be on the move, is to only do 2 nights in Waikiki and then spend the other 2 in another part of the island. If you stayed at the Marriott at Ko Olina you would have true sunset views. You'd also have the option of the Paradise Cove luau, which would be an alternative to the PCC. Another option is a vacation rental in Kailua, which has a beautiful beach and is right next to Lanikai. It's more residential and less resort-y than Waikiki or Ko Olina.

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong, I know you will love it.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM

19 posts, read 21,276 times
If you haven't book your hotels yet and your wallet needs to lose weight, then another option is the Kahala Hotel. It's a 5 star hotel with all of the 5 star services and will give you nice views of the Koko head. The beach there is nice/quiet and you'll be away from all of the tourists. They also offer free bike rentals as an amenity. When we stayed there, we biked to diamond head which was 10 mins away. But yes, once you get into Waikiki, it's not as bike friendly and you'll be dodging other tourists taking selfies while driving

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
I'd spend two nights at the Royal Hawaiian over the Sheraton. Maybe more expensive, but it's steeped in history. Mai Tai bar is a,,, uuurrrppp, scuze me, must visit spot.

Okolemaluna

Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM

181 posts, read 274,059 times
Yes, $45 HNL / Waikiki is a normal rate. You DO NOT want to rent at the airport, not only for the fees. Coming from the mainland, you'll just get to the hotel, get dinner, see the sunset and crawl into bed, so renting a car would be a wasted day. You'll be awake at 4 the next morning. Be ready for some spectacular sunrise photos. If you're in Waikiki, wander down to say hello to Duke (and if the webcam is working, you can call your friends at home, have them look while you wave).

Talk to the various rental companies. Tell them what you want to do, and ask what deals they can offer you. Play them off of each other. You have time to make these arrangements, and this helps them plan.

Normally, I advise against renting a car, but if you're planning photography, it may be worth the hassles in order to be where you want, when you want. DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING IN VIEW, and do all of your getting into the trunk a couple of miles away from where you plan to park the car.

PCC: Absolutely! But don't look it as a tourist attraction, take advantage of the opportunity that you have to talk to people about their home cultures. PCC is a living laboratory, a chance to find out about things you might not ever have a chance to compare anywhere else. And your money goes directly to fund scholarships for the students who staff PCC (they work there while studying at BYU Hawai'i, next door).

The day that you go to PCC, I suggest going to La'ie in time to set up for sunrise shots from the end of La'ie Point, not only of the ocean and the Mo'o, but of the Ko'olau mountains. You can shoot the sunrise there for a year and never get the same photo from two different days. You can also get some great photos of the LDS Temple, go to the Visitors' Center for more information, and scout photo spots. PCC opens fairly late (to accommodate the tour buses from the Stinky Side of the island).

While on the Windward Side, you will find it easy to believe that God lives there -- and that He put the Ko'olau there to block the Honolulu Aroma.

While at the Turtle, you should talk to some of the staff about Kahuku and the Windward Side. There's some history there. For instance, the radar station which spotted the Japanese planes on 7 DEC was just above the town. Everyone talks about the North Shore, but Windward and the East Coast are no less beautiful.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I'd spend two nights at the Royal Hawaiian over the Sheraton. Maybe more expensive, but it's steeped in history. Mai Tai bar is a,,, uuurrrppp, scuze me, must visit spot.

Okolemaluna
If you like to hang out at the pool the Sheraton super pool and edge pool win hands down over the RH mini-pool. RH charges for beach chairs on top of the already high rates.

Room upgrades are easier at the Sheraton. Lastly, some of the RH rooms are smallish. (And one can stagger to the room easily after a few scratch Mai Tais at the Mai Tai bar.

Written by a Starwood lifetime Platinum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu