Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM

96 posts, read 112,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupyourownmind View Post
Make up your minds already regular transplants on this forum either food costs more because of shipping and the Jones act or it's about the same cost as the mainland? Can't have both. The same members are saying on here it's the same but on different thread they say food prices higher because of shipping. Pupule!
The OP was asking about Whole Foods, and I couldn't even tell you where a Whole Foods is, so if that's what you are after, stop reading now.

My perspective is one of somebody coming from a place where groceries are cheap. Also, I live in an area on Oahu where I have a lot of shopping choices, and I take advantage of that. It really depends where you shop and what you buy. Sweet corn cost 5x more here, but pineapples are pretty cheap. Beer is pretty cheap here, unless you buy it while it's not on sale at Safeway, then it is 10% - 20% more than mainland prices. I was looking at boneless, skinless chicken breast at Sam's Club the other day, and it was $2.28/lb. I can't imagine that chicken gets a whole lot cheaper than that. To me, the most obvious differences in price are on common fresh produce items, like tomatoes and green peppers, at stores like Safeway and Walmart. Other stores have better prices on produce. The Walmart stores here seem to have less food, especially produce, than mainland Walmart stores. I assume that the mainland business model doesn't work as well here for Walmart since grocery margins are so thin. Times and Foodland have good produce selections, and it seems like they have a good bit more Hawaii grown stuff. What people say about farmers' markets is for real. There are regular little farmers' markets in certain places any day of the week. You just have to know what is a good deal where, just like on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:52 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
The OP was asking about Whole Foods, and I couldn't even tell you where a Whole Foods is, so if that's what you are after, stop reading now.
One at Kahala, one at Kailua and one going in at Ward's.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the Ewa Beach location

Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I find Costco and Walmart cheaper (or roughly the same) than NEX these days.

Check out the new Foodland Farms at Ala Moana.
I still find the commissary (if that's what you were referring to when you mentioned the 'NEX') a good deal cheaper than Walmart or Costco for most items. Of course, there will be some things that Costco and Walmart do cheaper/better than the commissary, but, despite being a Costco member (mainly for the gas), I still do the overwhelming majority of my grocery shopping at the commissary.

And I will check out the Foodland Farms!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I still find the commissary (if that's what you were referring to when you mentioned the 'NEX') a good deal cheaper than Walmart or Costco for most items. Of course, there will be some things that Costco and Walmart do cheaper/better than the commissary, but, despite being a Costco member (mainly for the gas), I still do the overwhelming majority of my grocery shopping at the commissary.

Yes, NEX is the Navy Exchange

Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

I would never shop at the Commissary and Whole Foods for the same type of products. Whole foods is all organic with beautiful meats. The commissary has a small organics section and in general, I will not buy meat from there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yes, NEX is the Navy Exchange
I know what the NEX is. I was just a little confused that it was brought up in a thread about Whole Foods and grocery shopping.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 09-13-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I know what the NEX is. I was just a little confused that it was bought up in a thread about Whole Foods and grocery shopping.
Probably including the commissary that is there.

The Commissary, CostCo and WalMart are my go-to, stock up locations. I fill in with Safeway and Farmer's Markets. If I am by a WholeFoods I will stock up on meat, especially their sausages.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Probably including the commissary that is there.

The Commissary, CostCo and WalMart are my go-to, stock up locations. I fill in with Safeway and Farmer's Markets. If I am by a WholeFoods I will stock up on meat, especially their sausages.
That would make sense!

I definitely shop at Walmart for some food items when I don't feel like driving to the commissary; I'll also buy some non food items there like bath towels, etc.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
That would make sense!

I definitely shop at Walmart for some food items when I don't feel like driving to the commissary; I'll also buy some non food items there like bath towels, etc.

And Amazon to finish the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu