Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:47 AM

283 posts, read 255,265 times

Advertisements

I promise I did a search for this but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Bottom line - we're planning a trip to Oahu in late July/early August and noticed that many if not most of the places we are considering do not have air conditioning (specifically, the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows on the north shore). Is this going to be an issue for us? We're from Texas so we're used to heat but mid-July heat here is not bearable without AC. How much do Hawaii summers differ from Texas summers?

Thoughts or advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Personally - I would’nt risk no AC on a Hawaiian vacation in the middle of summer. Some people make do - if you are used to AC it may be an issue for you especially if there is no wind.

Of course the roosters at this property at 4am might be an issue also.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:47 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
July and August can be brutally hot/humid here. But things tend to be a bit cooler on the North Shore. If you don't have AC and you're up there, you should be ok. On the whole, it'll still probably be cooler here vs. the Texas summer. For context, the average August high in Dallas is 96 degree, while it is 88 degrees in Honolulu (probably a little cooler up north).

Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 PM

172 posts, read 146,430 times
If the trades are blowing, opening windows and ceiling fans etc are fine. If for some reason the wind dies down it will be brutally hot and humid. Typically the trades blow nearly constantly in the summer.

Imagine though a nice long day at the beach where you come home a little toasted...AC sure would be nice.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 PM

62 posts, read 84,714 times
Right in the middle of hurricane season huh.

I’d be getting the refundable tickets. Even if a hurricane doesn’t make actual landfall it still messes with the weather and ruins beach plans.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
If you plan to vacation at North Shore, I guess you will spend most of the daylight hours in the ocean. So the water should have cooled you off.

I have lived in central Texas for some years and even more years in Oahu. In the newer houses in Honolulu, the windows are usually larger and most have ceiling fans installed. So generally summer is more bearable in Oahu than Texas.

Anyway, over the years I installed 5 AC units incrementally in my house because the weather has been getting more humid recently and trade wind has been less frequent.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
It's fine after you get used to it, but you won't get used to it just on vacation

Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
I promise I did a search for this but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Bottom line - we're planning a trip to Oahu in late July/early August and noticed that many if not most of the places we are considering do not have air conditioning (specifically, the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows on the north shore). Is this going to be an issue for us? We're from Texas so we're used to heat but mid-July heat here is not bearable without AC. How much do Hawaii summers differ from Texas summers?

Thoughts or advice? Thanks!
I stayed at those Bungalows about 14 years ago and questioned the same thing. Put it out of your mind, you don't need em!! At night the ceiling fans are more that enough with the windows open. Its a great beach bro! Enjoy!
When I was there a California surfer owned it and was married to a local. Awesome people!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM

206 posts, read 186,581 times
Yeah it's hot in Texas, but everywhere in Texas has A/C. It's the humidity here that will get you. You're going to want A/C in the summer months not only to cool the air, but to dehumidify it too.

Trust me, you're not going to sleep well when you're sticking to your sheets.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:20 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
The OP didn't mention where in Texas he's from. I haven't been to Hawaii, but I heard the humidity is nothing like Houston or the rest of the Gulf Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu