Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
All the polls in 2016 had Hilary winning in a landslide. It was pretty much a "given" too.
Really? The final Gallup poll on Nov 1 2016 had Trump at 46% and Hillary at 45%. Regardless, Hillary did win the national popular vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/presidentia...n-trump-515705
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
I am just watching and seeing what happens, Like a lot of people.
It would be a shame to not have this new TNT telescope built and what I have been reading. The other telescopes up on Mauna Kea would be torn down and removed after it is operational. Always has been a lot of discoveries in space on Mauna Kea over the years.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 PM

172 posts, read 146,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Really? The final Gallup poll on Nov 1 2016 had Trump at 46% and Hillary at 45%. Regardless, Hillary did win the national popular vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/presidentia...n-trump-515705
My undying faith in polls is restored. What was I thinking? lol

Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,142 times
they've protested before, it will be built.

the protesters are just lucky it's the middle of summer, and not below 0F (with wind chill) in winter.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
They had some live coverage on Governor Ige meeting with the folks over on Saddle road. I've more respect for the folks over on Saddle road after seeing the live coverage, they're doing a good job with their style of protesting. Hopefully they can work together to come up with a compromise that works for both sides.

I'm thinking TMT may be built, perhaps in exchange for removing more of the other ones. Which would be a compromise and start towards less telescopes on the mountain. They are getting validation as a political group since they're being respectful and not just crazy protests.

The scientists do seem to value Mauna Kea a lot, although in a different way than the protest group.

We're seeing a lot more traffic on the Hamakua highway since most folks don't seem to be using Saddle road to get to work while this is going on. It adds about a half hour to the commute either way for the folks in Hilo who work in the Kona resorts.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,142 times
^

just my opinion, but they're only getting validation because there's no fanatical support group also on mauna kea. If there was, there would likely be a lot of fighting and bloodshed already.

the protesters have no real option but to keep things peaceful, otherwise will get beat down by police and national guard. being "crazy" is not really an option.

ige is too weak and ineffectual to take a real stand either way. he's pretty pathetic.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
I guess I was just kinda expecting crazy and was impressed when it didn't show up.

I'm not sure about the claim of the entire mountain to be sacred. Usually religious folks have a much smaller site than an entire mountain which they claim to be hallowed. The mountain is bigger than the Vatican and even the pope doesn't declare the entire Vatican as sacred.

Also, if it's the entire mountain which is sacred, where does it end? Pretty much on the ocean floor? It's basically all one slope.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 7,606 times
I don't see how not building TMT is going to help the kanaka all that much. Perhaps they could ask that some of the telescopes that aren't in use anymore be removed. Remove two, build one, eventually there'd be a lot less on the mountain. That could be something specific they could ask for.

- The agreement drafted years ago calls for the demolition of three telescopes in return for building the TMT. -

TMT is planning on donating money to education, if they would require that education go to Hawaiians, then pretty soon they would get the respect they want and if it's done through astronomical education then it would be worldwide respect. Although, earmarking it for only Hawaiians is sorta racist, isn't it?

- The Hawaiian schools, grade school thru college, get 10% of all the time on the 'scopes. Excellent place to raise your kid if they want a career in astronomy. -

Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and guess the Kanaka are going to win this one. You are correct that it is about more than the telescope. It's about being respected for their beliefs and their Aina. They have been repeatedly sold down the river by the State, UH, OHA and the Feds and they are fed up. They want to be heard AND acknowledged as an equal entity.
I dont see them backing down this time. Kahoolawe 2.0
The protest is the culminating point where Hawaiians are saying enough is enough. They are sick and tired of the way things are going and this is the result. People who truly understand Hawaii's history should be able to figure out why Hawaiians are protesting.

I don't see the state winning this one. This is this generations stand.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When you are only 10% of the state's population - it is challenging to be considered as an equal entity.
That's the problem and why Hawaiians are pissed off. Its incredibly easy to see why there are so many people protesting on Mauna Kea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu