Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:11 AM

100 posts, read 78,109 times

Advertisements

I am finally coming back for a vacation in Oahu in late August. Last time I was here was in 2018 - pre-COVID. Just have a few questions for the experts.

1. Renting a vehicle. We will be staying in the Ilikai Tower, but will want to rent a vehicle at least a few days during our stay. I remember hearing last year it was very hard to get a vehicle. Is this still true? Do I need to rent a vehicle far in advance to guarantee getting one? If so, how far in advance would you suggest?
2. Any inexpensive places to park overnight in Waikiki close to the Ilikai? The Ilikai has parking, but it's either $45/day (Tower) or $28/day (Marina). Anything less expensive?
3. Inexpensive things to do. I'm not a stranger to the islands. Started coming here when I was 16 years old. Think I've made about 10-11 trips? My dad also lived on Oahu until his death. So, I've done many of the expensive "touristy" things - Boat and helicopter rides, luaus, been to many of the Waikiki restaurants/shops, North Shore (Haleiwa, Sunset, Waimea, Pipeline, Kailua/Lanikai. But I would like suggestions on beaches to see, things to do that are out of the normal touristy stuff. I also like hiking, but am older and can't do the more difficult hikes. I've done Diamond Head, Makapuu Lighthouse trail, and the Ehukai pillbox hike. I would also like to check out more "local" restaurants around the Honolulu area instead of the $$$$ restaurants in the hotel chains. Hubby is putting a tight rein on the budget for this trip as he is retiring at the end of the year.
4. Sea turtles. Last time I was here was the first time I actually saw a sea turtle (a Honu) while swimming at the beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Any other places where I would have a good chance of seeing a sea turtle? What about Laniakea? Too crowded to attempt?
5. Finally - I would like to find out more about the Makaha/Waianae area. Is it safe area to visit? What is the best way to get there? (I'm assuming Farrington Hwy?) I've heard this part of the island has great beaches, but what is the risk of getting kicked out by the locals? I've also seen some very inexpensive (albeit small) condos for sale. I'm not sure if they are leasehold or fee simple, but the listing only provides HOA dues and no leasehold fee - so I'm assuming it is fee simple. What would it be like to live in this area? I guess I've never given up on my Hawaii dream to live here, although there are numerous reasons I probably never will.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks everyone for any and all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 11:02 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Welcome back

1. You’ll have no issues with renting a car. The pandemic shortage for rentals is not a thing anymore. And rental prices have returned to reasonable rates.

2. There is street parking alongside Holomoana Street right outside of your hotel that lasts for a few blocks. I recall the rates to be pretty reasonable and it may very well end up being cheaper than your hotel daily rate if you were to park there for a full 24/hr period. This is especially true if you’re just looking to park overnight as I don’t think that metering is in effect all night.

3. Expensive is relative but you could always people watch and walk the beach area in Waikiki. They have some street performers regularly that I find interesting. Also beaches, hikes, etc. are always inexpensive.

4. I’ve always had good luck seeing sea turtles at Electric Beach, though that’s when I snorkel out there. Not sure if you’d have as much luck if oh didn’t go into the ocean for instance.

5. I’ve never had any issues in Waianae. Practice basic street smarts and you’ll be fine, IMO. I think you posted here a few years ago with Waianae questions so I’d refer back to that thread for some more detailed answers on safety in that area as things would not have changed much since then. As long as the guy in this article isn’t around the area you’ll be more than fine https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...i-17638051.php

Old 07-03-2023, 03:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiongal View Post
But I would like suggestions on beaches to see, things to do that are out of the normal touristy stuff.
With the internet - everything has an aspect of "touristy"

Old 07-03-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Welcome back

1. You’ll have no issues with renting a car. The pandemic shortage for rentals is not a thing anymore. And rental prices have returned to reasonable rates.

2. There is street parking alongside Holomoana Street right outside of your hotel that lasts for a few blocks. I recall the rates to be pretty reasonable and it may very well end up being cheaper than your hotel daily rate if you were to park there for a full 24/hr period. This is especially true if you’re just looking to park overnight as I don’t think that metering is in effect all night.

3. Expensive is relative but you could always people watch and walk the beach area in Waikiki. They have some street performers regularly that I find interesting. Also beaches, hikes, etc. are always inexpensive.

4. I’ve always had good luck seeing sea turtles at Electric Beach, though that’s when I snorkel out there. Not sure if you’d have as much luck if oh didn’t go into the ocean for instance.

5. I’ve never had any issues in Waianae. Practice basic street smarts and you’ll be fine, IMO. I think you posted here a few years ago with Waianae questions so I’d refer back to that thread for some more detailed answers on safety in that area as things would not have changed much since then. As long as the guy in this article isn’t around the area you’ll be more than fine https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...i-17638051.php
Thanks so much for your response! That’s great news about the rental cars! And thanks for the parking suggestion. With car vandalism and theft, do you think it would be reasonably safe overnight? I love to people watch and just hang at the beach, but my husband will be with me for the first week and he’s not big on hanging at the beach. Doesn’t like too much sun. Long story here, won’t bore you with that rabbit hole. Let’s just say we’re different. I’ve seen those street performers on Kalakaua at night. Lots of fun! Electric Beach, isn’t that the one near the power plant? Hear that the ocean is a but rough here but the sea life is amazing. OMG, that guy in the article!!! Hopefully he’s on meds by now!

Yep, it’s me again. I’ve posted several times in the past. I just can’t get Hawaii out of my heart and soul. My dad and I were bitten with Hawaii’s charm on our first family trip. I know life will not be like it is in my burbs of Houston. But who needs a big house when you have Hawaii as your playground?

Old 07-03-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
With the internet - everything has an aspect of "touristy"
This is true. But I’m sure Hawaii has those areas that don’t seem quite as touristy. I guess I’m looking for another side of Oahu that I haven’t seen before. It’s like anywhere else, you tend to head towards the familiar.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:26 PM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
When I have had visitors in town, I often take them to some of the "lookout" scenic points around the island. The Pali lookout; near Makapuu lighthouse (also a good hiking trail here for watching sunrises); Halona Blowhole (do NOT get too close to the blowhole!!!); Tantalus (Puu Ualakaa park also has hiking trails through the forest); Laie point; and, it is pretty wild and primitive if you drive out to the end of Farrington toward Kaena Point from Haleiwa side, with lots of relatively desolate and beautiful beaches (I have not personally been there since covid, not sure what the homeless situation might be up there, so just be aware of your surroundings). All of these locations will have spectacular, sweeping views. Be sure your car is locked with NOTHING visible in the passenger compartment that you value.

Fook Yuen, just outside of Waikiki is an excellent Chinese seafood restaurant, they offer set meals as well as individual selections. Imanas Tei, near University, offers excellent Japanese cuisine and atmosphere, lots of sake to choose from! Aiea Manapua is a hole in the wall that I have been frequenting for 23 years, best lunch value around for my money! They sell out early, so best to hit it around 11 AM. Peppas Korean Barbeque in Makiki is high quality take out in a very clean location with available parking. If you love fried chicken, try Jollibee, several locations; and also, #1, at Ala Moana food court is Lahaina Chicken.

Also check the local calendars for Blaisdell and other venues to see if there are any cultural events that appeal to you.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:59 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiongal View Post
Thanks so much for your response! That’s great news about the rental cars! And thanks for the parking suggestion. With car vandalism and theft, do you think it would be reasonably safe overnight? I love to people watch and just hang at the beach, but my husband will be with me for the first week and he’s not big on hanging at the beach. Doesn’t like too much sun. Long story here, won’t bore you with that rabbit hole. Let’s just say we’re different. I’ve seen those street performers on Kalakaua at night. Lots of fun! Electric Beach, isn’t that the one near the power plant? Hear that the ocean is a but rough here but the sea life is amazing. OMG, that guy in the article!!! Hopefully he’s on meds by now!

Yep, it’s me again. I’ve posted several times in the past. I just can’t get Hawaii out of my heart and soul. My dad and I were bitten with Hawaii’s charm on our first family trip. I know life will not be like it is in my burbs of Houston. But who needs a big house when you have Hawaii as your playground?
I think the car would be fine as long as you practice basic street smarts (i.e. no leaving anything that can be construed as a pilferable in plain view, no putting bags into the trunk and then walking away as someone is going to see you do that, etc.). Note, I take these same precautions no matter where I park, to include in my building's parking garage (that's just the NYC native in me)!

And, yes, Electric Beach is near the power plant!

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 07-03-2023 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
When I have had visitors in town, I often take them to some of the "lookout" scenic points around the island. The Pali lookout; near Makapuu lighthouse (also a good hiking trail here for watching sunrises); Halona Blowhole (do NOT get too close to the blowhole!!!); Tantalus (Puu Ualakaa park also has hiking trails through the forest); Laie point; and, it is pretty wild and primitive if you drive out to the end of Farrington toward Kaena Point from Haleiwa side, with lots of relatively desolate and beautiful beaches (I have not personally been there since covid, not sure what the homeless situation might be up there, so just be aware of your surroundings). All of these locations will have spectacular, sweeping views. Be sure your car is locked with NOTHING visible in the passenger compartment that you value.

Fook Yuen, just outside of Waikiki is an excellent Chinese seafood restaurant, they offer set meals as well as individual selections. Imanas Tei, near University, offers excellent Japanese cuisine and atmosphere, lots of sake to choose from! Aiea Manapua is a hole in the wall that I have been frequenting for 23 years, best lunch value around for my money! They sell out early, so best to hit it around 11 AM. Peppas Korean Barbeque in Makiki is high quality take out in a very clean location with available parking. If you love fried chicken, try Jollibee, several locations; and also, #1, at Ala Moana food court is Lahaina Chicken.

Also check the local calendars for Blaisdell and other venues to see if there are any cultural events that appeal to you.
I've been to Makapuu and the Halona Blowhole - but I haven't done the Pali lookout trail (just the lookout point by car), Tantalus or Laie point - thanks for those ideas! I've never taken the road out to the end of Farrington towards Kaena Point (from the north). We always end at Haleiwa and return to Honolulu. Is it highway all the way (paved?). I have always wanted to visit this side of the island because I've heard it is so beautiful. Rains less - so drier. That's what I love about Oahu. So many people have the attitude that they don't want to visit Oahu because they associate it with Waikiki and too many tourists. But each area of the island is very different and I think has something to offer for everyone. It's my favorite island (but I love them all).

Thanks also for the recs on the restaurants. I'm going to write all the info down from all these posts so we are sure to check them out. I love the Waikiki restaurants, but our budget won't allow going to House Without a Key every night! I am 1/2 Japanese (a Hapa Haole - lol), so the Japanese restaurant really intrigues me. And I will check out Blaisdell, too!

Old 07-04-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think the car would be fine as long as you practice basic street smarts (i.e. no leaving anything that can be construed as a pilferable in plain view, no putting bags into the trunk and then walking away as someone is going to see you do that, etc.). Note, I take these same precautions no matter where I park, to include in my building's parking garage (that's just the NYC native in me)!

And, yes, Electric Beach is near the power plant!
I remember my dad saying the same about the cars. We are always cautious about taking everything out of the vehicle and locking it up (including trunk items). But I do the same in Houston. Crime has gotten out of hand here. Texas is in the thick of the border crossings and our crime is a definite reflection of that. We have some pretty bad gang activity in several parts of the city and it's just increased substantially. I hear the reports on the radio every morning about the murders, etc. In fact, in one area sex-trafficking is one of the highest in the nation. I'd love to escape this city.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:33 AM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
[quote=fashiongal;65504801]I've been to Makapuu and the Halona Blowhole - but I haven't done the Pali lookout trail (just the lookout point by car), Tantalus or Laie point - thanks for those ideas! I've never taken the road out to the end of Farrington towards Kaena Point (from the north). We always end at Haleiwa and return to Honolulu. Is it highway all the way (paved?). I have always wanted to visit this side of the island because I've heard it is so beautiful. Rains less - so drier.

It is just two lane blacktop out to the dirt access road/hiking trail. There is crude parking and a turnaround area at the end of the blacktop, and there are plenty of places along the way to pull off and park, very scenic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu