Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 16,821 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me out with some information. I have visited Hawaii three times!! Much better climate than South Florida. I want to relocate to Honolulu. I almost moved there four years ago, but my family talked me out of it. In about one year, I am on my way!! I used to sell timeshare for Wyndham Resorts. But for the past year I have enjoyed being a waiter at Chili's and driving my jeep to the beach. I realize food and real estate is expensive there. I just want to rent a 1br or a studio apt for around 800-1100 per month. Be a waiter at Chilis, Cheesecake Factory or somewhere else. My expenses are very low. I make about 950 per week tax free being a waiter. Can you make good money in restaurants there. I just want to live a simple life and go to the beach. I dont need anything fancy, not even expensive furniture. Just a simple lifestyle. Can I accomplish this?
Thanks for Your Time...Bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
If you have a job, keep it - or at least don't quit there until you actually have a job offer (in writing) here. Restaurants are closing, folks being laid off in other jobs are looking to become wait help and at that price you may be able to find an apartment to share but it won't be a nice one. Unemployment is really high right now and likely to get worse. Most of our tourists come from California and Japan both of which are in a severe economic downturn so they aren't going on Hawaii vacations right now. Ft. Lauderdale is a tourist town, but your tourists can drive there or take the bus at least so they don't have to spend as much to vacation there.

Box up the stuff you'd want to bring over if you get a job in Hawaii, vacation to Hawaii and look for a job. If you get a job, THEN quit the one you have, send for your boxes and look for an apartment or room to share near the new job. Honolulu has a good bus system so ditch the car to save on expenses. You can't drive on the beaches on Oahu so the bus works just as well and you don't have to find parking for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,821 times
Thanks for your input. I might be able to transfer to the Chili's on Kuhio. Sounds like I might just put up with the warmer summers in Fort Lauderdale. The rest of the year, the weather is beautiful!! It might not be worth the move at the moment. Unless, the economy changes in the future. Thanks again for your time.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,597 times
I vacationed on Oahu back in early November 08' and stayed the Pacific Monarch hotel on Kuhio Avenue. The Chili's you're talking about was about two blocks from the hotel and it's in a good location too. I thought the staff was nice, service was good and didn't have to wait long either, but then again I sat at the bar every time. That particular Chili's is definitely in a good location because it's right where everyone walks, all the tourists walk right by that place and it's located on the corner too. I'm not sure what's attached to that Chili's but I think there's a hotel or something attached to it because they have a parking garage on the back end and I saw alot of people coming in from the side door with luggage so I'm thinking there's a hotel attached to the Chili's. Mostly young people work there but it's definitely in a very good location! Good Luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: