Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 AM

21 posts, read 55,884 times

Advertisements

haha yeah thats what i figured thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 AM

91 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp711 View Post
i'm almost done w/ my junior year in high school and am thinking about different colleges that i might want to apply to. i recently went to oahu (waikiki) for spring break and fell in love with the culture, people, weather, everything. i could definitely see myself living there and going to school there. i figure i might as well follow a dream of mine while im young and in college to maybe help the living arrangement seeing as ill probably be living on campus if i went to UH manoa. i love the lifestyle there and am ready to get out of the chicago suburb where i live now! BUT everyone i talk to has only given me discouragement and its starting to bring me down! :/ i want to here from the people who live there what they thought! ive been doing a lot of research on the school and life there and i understand i'm young and maybe naive but i also understand that it's hard but ive always worked hard whether in school or at my job. i'm a very open person and love learning about new cultures! I've always been very mature for my age. basically want a new perspective on life. is this to far fetched? any adivce would be greatly appericated.
mahalo

I'd recommend going to the best college that you can possibly get into. I'm not sure if U of H is really that college for you.

In today's competitive work environment, you're going to want to have the best education / background possible. Work hard during these formative years -- it'll pay off in multiples.

Hawaii is always here for you after you are done your studies.

Just an opinion,

-V

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,726 times
I moved from Chicago to Honolulu and lived there for 5 years. I now live in Las Vegas for my husband's work. I miss it so much. I can't wait to move back. Badatta2de is right...be yourself, respect the culture and enjoy your time there while you can. You will need plenty of cash to get settled, but after that, you find the local places to shop and eat and you can make it on not alot of cash. Bus system is good in the City of Honolulu and getting from and to the university should be no problem. Good luck, be nice and take it all in! Oh, and before you get off the plane, take a deep breath and leave Chicago mentality behind...relax, take it easy and be patient! Aloha.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

168 posts, read 726,492 times
jp-

i'm graduating form bradley univeristy (peoria, IL) in a few weeks & moving to honolulu. If you can do it financially then go for it. Unless you're going to go to a TOP school your degree is just a degree. I've found that Bradley is a great school in IL & ppl in IL recgonize the name but it's nothing special anywhere else. The same goes for if you get a degree from UH, ppl in Hawaii will recgonize it but if you come back to IL no one will care. So if you have the chance to go to a truly top school then by all means GO! Otherwise, you might as well enjoy college b/c it will FLY by. But don't dig yourself into debt just to go to school in Hawaii. But plan ahead (which it seems like you are) and you should be fine. Probably better off than most ppl moving b/c you will have college to help you meet ppl & learn the area. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM

wow lryan106 and katiem8 thank you! this gives me encouragement!

-lryan106
yes thats excatly why i want to go to honolulu to experience a totally different culture it should be a nice bit of fresh air compared to a chicago lifestyle!

-katiem8
okay thank you for the insight about the degress i wasn't sure if that made a difference where you went to school if it wasn't a top notch school..i was a little worried about that! but yes i want to get out of the midwest and experience something new while im still young! Also about the money for college another school im looking at in tennesee is about the same price as if i went to UH so i figure i would much rather go far away and experience it!

thanks to you both again!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM

91 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
wow lryan106 and katiem8 thank you! this gives me encouragement!

-lryan106
yes thats excatly why i want to go to honolulu to experience a totally different culture it should be a nice bit of fresh air compared to a chicago lifestyle!

-katiem8
okay thank you for the insight about the degress i wasn't sure if that made a difference where you went to school if it wasn't a top notch school..i was a little worried about that! but yes i want to get out of the midwest and experience something new while im still young! Also about the money for college another school im looking at in tennesee is about the same price as if i went to UH so i figure i would much rather go far away and experience it!

thanks to you both again!

Honolulu is a big city... kind of like all other big cities...but with nicer weather. Of course, the culture is a bit different than Chicago... but then again, so is the culture in San Diego or Berkeley compared to Chicago.

If you really want a change, try college in a different country... say McGill in Montreal or perhaps a school in Australia or Asia?

Even if you don't go to school at U of H... there is always study abroad at most schools. A semester or even a year in a foreign country would be a great experience.

I would still try to get into the best college that you can possibly get admitted into (and afford)... it actually does make a difference when it comes down to job hunting or graduate school applications.

Of course, no one is going to hand you a job and/or graduate position after you come out of a prestigious college... but it does eliminate some artificial screens that employers and/or admission committees use to sift through thousands of applications.

Hope you find what works out for you.

-V

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM

19 posts, read 74,880 times
Holy crap that's creepy. You remind me of.. me.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...nion-oahu.html

Live in a Chicago Suburb, feels like they might as well go to Hawaii for college because the chance is there.

Well take a look at my thread if you want, considering our situations are pretty much identical there may be some help in there.

I'll be tagging along here...

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
You should make sure they have a good program for what you want to major in

Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM

yes excatly! i'm from the chicagoland area too.. well best of luck to you! i keep changing what i want to major in daily but am now currently looking at nursing so well see! have you decided what school you are leaning towards more?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 74,880 times
Quote:
yes excatly! i'm from the chicagoland area too.. well best of luck to you! i keep changing what i want to major in daily but am now currently looking at nursing so well see! have you decided what school you are leaning towards more?
At the moment, more UH (but not certain) due to it's size and the fact that the resident halls are in the city and closer to everything. Ironically, I'm leaving a Chicago suburb so I can live a city life in Honolulu... Oh well, it's weird how things work out sometimes.

But look into HPU, tuition will be pretty much the same for an out of state student in UH, maybe even less for HPU because of the increased amount of scholarship opportunities. Plus, from reviews given, HPU is a more popular school by the school body. If critics mean anything to you (mean nothing to me).

UH is good with marine sciences, astronomy, business, and architecture. Not the best in some of these, but they'll do. I doubt people would recognize a difference in a business degree from UH and a business degree from UofI, but they will recognize a difference in a law degree from Harvard and a law degree from UH. But IMHO, I would hold life time experiences higher than job safety. Being unemployed and living in a small apartment with various roommates for an unforeseeable amount of time is an experience. I'd feel like I'd be cheating life if I graduated from an ivy league school and get employed in a $50,000+ salary job within the first two years of graduation. I wanna have some burnout experiences in my life. But this is me, you may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu