Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:50 AM

52 posts, read 112,993 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are investigating a move to Dunnellon. We have spent quite a bit of time in Brooksville since his mother lives there but every time I have visited Florida in the past few years I come home with tons of bug bites. I guess I'm very attractive to noseeums and also very allergic to their bites. Last time I came home with over 100 bites and it took them about 8 months to heal. I'm not so worried about mosquitoes, every state has them and they seem to be controllable with bug spray, but nothing seemed to ward off the nosessums so I'm a little worried about moving to an area where they are prevalent. Would love to hear from people who live in this general area and also consider themselves "bug bait". Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
We live four minutes from downtown Dunnellon and don't have a problem. Our home isn't right by the water and as I understand it the noseeums are around the water. My husband is a magnet for noseeums and also allergic to them (his bites always get infected and last forever) and he hasn't had a problem here. We used to live near the beach in the east a few towns below Daytona and had a huge problem with noseeums there. We have been pleasantly surprised to have no problem here and have had very few mosquito bites, as well.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I live inland with no big body's of water. No bug problem.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
We live four minutes from downtown Dunnellon and don't have a problem. Our home isn't right by the water and as I understand it the noseeums are around the water. My husband is a magnet for noseeums and also allergic to them (his bites always get infected and last forever) and he hasn't had a problem here. We used to live near the beach in the east a few towns below Daytona and had a huge problem with noseeums there. We have been pleasantly surprised to have no problem here and have had very few mosquito bites, as well.
I feel your husband's pain! Some of us are just bug magnets and being allergic to the bites is miserable! Thanks for your feedback, I'm happy to hear that staying off the water solves the problem. Unfortunately my husband wants to live on the water in the future and I'm not sure that is something I'll ever be able to do.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I live inland with no big body's of water. No bug problem.
Thanks. Disappointing to hear we have to stay away from the water to avoid them but it's understandable. We don't have that problem in California but then we can't afford to be on the water here!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
One choice would be to rent on the water for a week or two in bug season and see how it goes.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
One choice would be to rent on the water for a week or two in bug season and see how it goes.
I have done that in other areas of Florida and have been eaten alive! What I need is to find something that repels those nasty little creatures but so far they seem to bite through everything!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 41,974 times
Try skin so soft. This stuff works well with keeping the bugs off in my opinion. When searching for a new place just stay away from any bodies of water. We are coming into fall and winter. The amount of bugs will start to dwindle.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDyson View Post
Try skin so soft. This stuff works well with keeping the bugs off in my opinion. When searching for a new place just stay away from any bodies of water. We are coming into fall and winter. The amount of bugs will start to dwindle.
I heard skin so soft works well for some people but I tried it when on Pine Island in late October and still got eaten alive. The woman who gave it to me said it worked great for her so it's probably more of a body chemistry thing. I have the blood type they love I guess! My husband's dream is to live on a canal so I need to find something that works!

Old 08-31-2016, 08:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
If your body chemistry is such that you get eaten alive by bugs i'd think Florida a poor choice of places to relocate.You could try 100% DEET products.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=100+d...iw=853&bih=538
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala