Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 04:23 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary to carry flood insurance in Ocala?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 05:30 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
The answer depends on the likelihood that your property will flood. Thus it is not necessary everywhere.
There has been flooding so I would try and research newspaper articles about flooding in the area you are looking at. Search around Hurricanes.
The Fed gov also has flood maps. But once you think you have a lot picked out I would ask your neighbors how long they have lived there and if there has been any flooding.
When you say Ocala do you mean the city or Marion County which is the size of a small state?

Old 01-08-2022, 06:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
You can determine the probability of flooding at the Marion County Property Search internet site MCPA Search Agree by looking up a property with many search options and from there, you can see the current flood plain estimates.

Any local Realtor in this area can easily find it for you. I am not a current Realtor but was for almost 4 years here in Ocala. Flood insurance is not always required. For instance, my home is well above the flood level and I am not required to carry additional flood insurance. It all depends on where your home/property is located

Old 01-21-2022, 07:18 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You can determine the probability of flooding at the Marion County Property Search internet site MCPA Search Agree by looking up a property with many search options and from there, you can see the current flood plain estimates.

Any local Realtor in this area can easily find it for you. I am not a current Realtor but was for almost 4 years here in Ocala. Flood insurance is not always required. For instance, my home is well above the flood level and I am not required to carry additional flood insurance. It all depends on where your home/property is located
dontaskwhy, Since you where a Realtor, and live in the area, I will ask you about sinkholes. Is it a problem in the Ocala area? Do most have sinkhole Ins? Is it true the home owner pays the first 25k, even with ins? TIA

Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Sinkholes can be an issue in certain areas. Not all sinkholes result in homes being destroyed or condemned. It's something you get accustomed to hearing about, kind of like snow up North. Every sinkhole policy can differ, but yes there is always some type of deductible that must be paid by the homeowner before insurance pays anything. Best to ask a homeowner insurance agent for details.

Some sinkholes are very small and don't affect nearby homes. In my neighborhood we had a "barrel sinkhole" open on the edge of a retention pond. When it was determined to be self-contained and threatening no homes it was quickly mediated and we have no problems since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: