Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,726 times

Advertisements

It is such a shameful thing that people do that kind of things on roads. As we all know, Ocala is such a beautiful place to live around nature. Due to some people, we need to think on it. Let it go dear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 11:22 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Was thinking of moving from Port St. Lucie due to overcrowding but being retired and a senior the crime problem in Ocala is appalling and a turn off. Ocala has too many run down houses and guys hanging out on street corners. Thank you but no.
This thread is such BS. My parents live in the "On Top of the World" community, which is a 55+ community off of Route 200 in southwest Ocala. Not only is their gated community very safe, but the entire area around them for miles in every direction is safe. Now if you head downtown and turn onto Pine St., you'll see some homelessness and vagrancy after dark around the WAWA and the other gas station a few blocks down, but it's nothing crazy. This area I'm describing is also 12 - 13 miles away from where my parents live.

Ocala is very safe. If you're 55+ and considering moving to the area, I'd highly recommend the "On Top of the World" community.

Ocala also has a decent amount to do for a city of its size. There's a nice downtown square, a historic district just north of downtown, tons of restaurants and bars scattered throughout, golf courses, as well as the world-class Equestrian center.

Why don't you go check it out rather than getting your info from this forum??

Hey, John Travolta lives there for about 6 months a year. Can't be that bad!

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 07-27-2023 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-28-2023, 06:38 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
This thread is such BS. My parents live in the "On Top of the World" community, which is a 55+ community off of Route 200 in southwest Ocala. Not only is their gated community very safe, but the entire area around them for miles in every direction is safe. Now if you head downtown and turn onto Pine St., you'll see some homelessness and vagrancy after dark around the WAWA and the other gas station a few blocks down, but it's nothing crazy. This area I'm describing is also 12 - 13 miles away from where my parents live.

Ocala is very safe. If you're 55+ and considering moving to the area, I'd highly recommend the "On Top of the World" community.

Ocala also has a decent amount to do for a city of its size. There's a nice downtown square, a historic district just north of downtown, tons of restaurants and bars scattered throughout, golf courses, as well as the world-class Equestrian center.

Why don't you go check it out rather than getting your info from this forum??

Hey, John Travolta lives there for about 6 months a year. Can't be that bad!
John Travolta doesn't live in On Top of the World. His estate is in Jumbolair Aviation and Equestrian Estates, a private, exclusive gated community 7 miles northeast of Ocala.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
John Travolta doesn't live in On Top of the World. His estate is in Jumbolair Aviation and Equestrian Estates, a private, exclusive gated community 7 miles northeast of Ocala.
Never did I write that he lives in On Top of the World. I said he lives in the Ocala area, which you just confirmed with your comment. Thank you..

Old 07-29-2023, 02:33 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Never did I write that he lives in On Top of the World. I said he lives in the Ocala area, which you just confirmed with your comment. Thank you..
You imply that he lives in the area because Ocala is a great place to live. That's not why he has a home in the area. He has a home in the area because the home has accommodations to its own private air strip. If Jumbolair was in Citrus Hills or Floral City he'd live there instead.

Same for me. I don't live in The Villages because I think Ocala is great. Florida doesn't impress me at all. I live in it because it's the Villages. If The Villages were in West Virginia instead of Florida, then I'd be in West Virginia instead of Florida.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
I said he lives in the Ocala area, which you just confirmed with your comment.
To be precise, that home is in Anthony, FL.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You imply that he lives in the area because Ocala is a great place to live. That's not why he has a home in the area. He has a home in the area because the home has accommodations to its own private air strip. If Jumbolair was in Citrus Hills or Floral City he'd live there instead.

Same for me. I don't live in The Villages because I think Ocala is great. Florida doesn't impress me at all. I live in it because it's the Villages. If The Villages were in West Virginia instead of Florida, then I'd be in West Virginia instead of Florida.
I never said that I could read Travoltas' mind. Maybe he does like living in the Ocala area? You don't know.

Hey, if Jumboair was in Mississippi, he'd live there though, right? What a dumb comment..lool

And we get it, you don't like Florida, that's OK...but hey, I'd say make that move to West Virginia. Just because there isn't anything like the Villages to be found there doesn't mean you can't find something great.

I'd say make the move!

Old 09-21-2023, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 620 times
In the past there was a $15 license to panhandle that they had to have. Anyone that was just passing through and didn't get the license (often drifters off i75) would be asked to either get the license or move along. They normally chose to go elsewhere. A year or two ago there was a lawsuit by someone from another area stating that it was unconstitutional to require paperwork for begging on the streets. Since that time, we have had astronomical numbers of people coming into town from other areas and leaving a mess before they move on to another city and do it all over again.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:17 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
No matter what your circumstances are, don't be quick to judge others. I feel blessed to live in Ocala and have a nice, reliable home. I don't judge anybody who appears to be homeless, nor would I care to be judged for whatever reason myself. This thread is absolutely useless and should have been closed the same day it was created unless the OP was offering good advice/suggestions on the issue. Please, can we move on to something more useful and productive instead?

The OP created this useless thread just over 1 year ago and hasn't commented on any other threads since then. Some people like to poke the figurative wasp nest with a stick and then run away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala