Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGELLSMEGASTORE View Post
You seem like a very arogant type person with no knowledge of Ocala,Florida at all.
I have been here for 10 years as a RESIDENCE.
And have known quite a few business owners that has grown up here and got into business and this economy has just wiped them out,shut doors. Then it appears that they were in the wrong business ?
So you say you have a magic businesss that will prosper and will just take off like a rocket ship and make money.
Where in the world do you come off with this crap? Past experience and a successful track record ?
You need to live here before you can make a off the wall comment like that. You are just a visitor.
You be in my shoes and the shoes of other Marion Co. residents that has lost their jobs.
If you make it 2 years here that will be a miriacle from GOD himself.
Do you really believe some God chooses who is successful in business and who isn't ? I have seen too many companies go under here. And you are supposed to have a magic business. Ha you are insane.
Sure many businesses go under.....poorly run businesses, mismamanaged businesses, businesses designed to only survive in a growing economy.....the trick is to have a business that people need or use in both a weak or strong economy and they do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM

97 posts, read 274,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Sure many businesses go under.....poorly run businesses, mismamanaged businesses, businesses designed to only survive in a growing economy.....the trick is to have a business that people need or use in both a weak or strong economy and they do exist.
So what you are telling me is that all these very smart people that has been in business for years up until the past 2 years , are failures.
And the economy has nothing to do with it but just poor management, wow you are something else.
So you have the magic business huh.
And knowing nothing about our economy here but just being a VISITOR.
That gives you the right to down all these business people that has had to shut their doors.
Because you say they mismanaged and didnt know what they were doing.
If your business is doing so well why do you want to come here?
Just stay up there with your magic business.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 PM

236 posts, read 900,927 times
Gentlemen...Gentlemen...... lets not argue! Its christmas time! But I am very curious...exactly what type of business do you have Flyer? It seems everyone has taken a hit in the last couple of years with the economy. Many Many people laid off thru no fault of their own! It seems that the only the medical field is still hiring. I'm retired from nursing. By the way... I'm originally from Jersey too, not that, that means anything.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
Gentlemen...Gentlemen...... lets not argue! Its christmas time! But I am very curious...exactly what type of business do you have Flyer? It seems everyone has taken a hit in the last couple of years with the economy. Many Many people laid off thru no fault of their own! It seems that the only the medical field is still hiring. I'm retired from nursing. By the way... I'm originally from Jersey too, not that, that means anything.
Well.....I'm 62 now but many years ago I started as a structural draftsman working for someone else and found that I wasn't going to get far in life that way.....when the first gas crunch came I became a contract draftsmans working at companies that had contracts upgrading local refineries so I received a premium wage for short periods until the work was done......during that time I was in a bad car accident where someone ran into the back of me and long story short I needed and had spinal fusion....after that it was too difficult to sit behind a desk all day and I needed exercise to help rehab......when I was younger my uncle had taught me pretty much all you needed to know about fencing so I opened my own business (only installing commercial/industrial/municipal/county/state chain link fence)and operated that business for close to 10 years....at that point my back started to act up a bit and the doctor said to move into something easier so this was about 1985 ....just at the start where home inspections were coming on the scene so I went into that....of course in New Jersey most buyers were getting a radon test too so I got my license for testing through the New Jersey DEP. Shortly after that I was approached by the DEP asking if I wanted a license to mitigate radon also so I got that license too. For 20 years I ran my own home inspection business but about 5 years ago the market was becoming saturated with new home inspectors so I moved laterally 100% into radon. I still do a little testing but mostly I mitigate homes with excessive levels.....over 100 a year.....there are only 15 people in New Jersey that carry that license and its extremely difficult to get the license today......people that use me are basically sellers that have had radon tests done during a real estate transaction and now have a very short period of time to get it mitigated by settlement.....in South Jersey where I am there are only 3 with the license and I have been an expert witness in court against one of them for fraud.......most realtors in South Jersey know of me. I don't need to chase business.....it chases me. I offer a service that can only be done by a select few and the people that use me are desperate to get the work done......no matter what the economy......even though the economy is poor I am still doing about the same amount of business as realtors who use me are pleased and pass my name to other realtors that need my services.
I am vacationing in Ocala with my kids as I write this and have plans to move down in the next year. I currently have two people who wish to buy my business back in New Jersey. I am looking to start up a business and have already purchased the equipment and waiting for delivery.......until I can get down here my kids will complete the start up process and when I get down we'll expand. I have a second business that will work down here but is more suited to be located in The Villages area. Neither business depends upon the economy.
As I stated in an earlier post you need to look around and find a need thats not being filled......or find a need thats being filled poorly that you can do better......theres no use whining about the economy and waiting for some company to do better so they can give you a job next year......theres ways to make money on your own if you have a little drive and ambition. Don't rely upon others to make your life better.....use your head and do it yourself.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
So what you are telling me is that all these very smart people that has been in business for years up until the past 2 years , are failures.
Well.....if your telling me that they were in business and went bust what would you have me say ?
And the economy has nothing to do with it but just poor management, wow you are something else.
I'm not sure why you wish to label these poeple as "very smart" ? They are obviously out of business because they did something wrong. Whether it be management, poor judgement , lacked business savy or just plain chose the wrong business to go into they clearly did something wrong and the bottom line here is that "very smart" business people don't make fatal business decisions/mistakes. Perhaps they're just not as smart as your perceive them to be ?
So you have the magic business huh.
And knowing nothing about our economy here but just being a VISITOR.
That gives you the right to down all these business people that has had to shut their doors.
You think Ocala, Florida is the only place with a struggling economy ?
Because you say they mismanaged and didnt know what they were doing.
If your business is doing so well why do you want to come here?
Just stay up there with your magic business.
I'm smart enough to know my present business wouldn't survive down here......I'm selling and moving down to be closer to my kids who live in Ocala. What I have done and plan to do clearly isn't magic but if you the type who whines about the economy and sits and waits for someone else to provide you with a paycheck I can see where it may seem like magic ? Just because you don't understand what someone else has accomplished or how they did it doesn't mean it can't be done where you live or call for you to berate that person.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM

97 posts, read 274,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'm smart enough to know my present business wouldn't survive down here......I'm selling and moving down to be closer to my kids who live in Ocala. What I have done and plan to do clearly isn't magic but if you the type who whines about the economy and sits and waits for someone else to provide you with a paycheck I can see where it may seem like magic ? Just because you don't understand what someone else has accomplished or how they did it doesn't mean it can't be done where you live or call for you to berate that person.
You didnt answer an earlier question on a post. Did you start out broke and unemployed like myself?
No you were working for someone making money, then you saved and then ventured off on your own.
I plan on in the future having my own welding and fabrication repair shop or mobile.
But I have to be working for someone first just to save enough money to do so.
Your mind is so clouded and scattered abroad to where you dont understand how you started and where I am now.
You have a closed mind on things.
You have a big ego and your mind has shut down for reasonable and rational thinking.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You didnt answer an earlier question on a post. Did you start out broke and unemployed like myself?
No you were working for someone making money, then you saved and then ventured off on your own.
I plan on in the future having my own welding and fabrication repair shop or mobile.
But I have to be working for someone first just to save enough money to do so.
Your mind is so clouded and scattered abroad to where you dont understand how you started and where I am now.
You have a closed mind on things.
You have a big ego and your mind has shut down for reasonable and rational thinking.
We all start out broke and unemployed and we lift ourselves from there never allowing ouselves to be in that position again. When I started my first business I had no savings and had left drafting behind, although my wife was employed. I had contracts to do work within a week and never looked back. I didn't save anything to start my first business although I did have suppliers who were willing to front me the material till I got paid. What I see as self confidance you see as ego......in either case it seems a dose of both would do you good. Unfortunately, rather than shoulder the responsibility for your present position you wish to blame everyone and the economy for where you find yourself ......but, you see those that have worked hard and taken risks to find themselves in a better position as "lucky" or been helped by "God". I'm neither lucky nor has any God helped me....what I have I've earned by hard work and taking a risk when needed......my mind is neither clouded or scattered but is it closed to lame excuses......I certainly haven't forgot how I got started, how hard I had to work to get where I am and most of all the chances I had to take to get here.......theres no success without risk and unfortunately most want no part of any risk so they work for someone else always "planning" on doing something in the future.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM

236 posts, read 900,927 times
No I think he just had a well thought out plan! And it worked for him! Best of Luck in Ocala Flyer. And Edgell I hope things work out for you too!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,607 times
we are moving to ocala in april why would you pay 500.00 to 600.00 a month for elect thats unreal ! but here in mo we pay 269.00 for gas elect water sewer my gas was 171.00 it went up 17% this year and we have -14 in the winter and we have a new furance and air you need to turn off some stuff .

Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,607 times
what king of criters are out there i need to know about we have two pug dogs and hope to move to silver shores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala