Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Well since you are a welder I am certain you will be able to have him apply for a position. Oh yeah - I bet you're not a welder. And you havent opened the business and you are coming from New Jersey. So you are not similarly situated to the poster.

Hmmm. Big surprise. No, typical. Transplant from Jersey (yes that includes the New Yorkers too) who know everything to know about living in Florida. Not surprising.

Yeah - I said it. Rip away - I dont care.
Nice generalizations, but you make no point. I am in NY and my folks live in Ocala. I've spent substantial time there, bought and sold some property and help with their bills. If this guy is paying $600/mo for electricity he is either welding at home 24/7 or has an indoor marijuana farm! That or a mega-mansion!

As for the NJ guys' point, welding is a trade. Trades are down all over. Construction is flat all over (just coming back in some areas). Ocala exploded over 10 years. Maybe the OP should have socked a few bucks away. Maybe he should figure why his electric bills are 60% higher than the norm. Maybe he should stop whining, move where there is work or change fields.

Maybe you should see the advice to start his own thing as an honest assessment of where he is. Florida is notoriously overbuilt. Unless he is doing decorative work (also flat as consumer spending is still down), he needs to do something else. Or just wait for the unemployment to run out.

Meanwhile, since you're his "neighbor" maybe you could lend some constructive criticism or better yet offer him a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Nice generalizations, but you make no point. I am in NY and my folks live in Ocala. I've spent substantial time there, bought and sold some property and help with their bills. If this guy is paying $600/mo for electricity he is either welding at home 24/7 or has an indoor marijuana farm! That or a mega-mansion!

As for the NJ guys' point, welding is a trade. Trades are down all over. Construction is flat all over (just coming back in some areas). Ocala exploded over 10 years. Maybe the OP should have socked a few bucks away. Maybe he should figure why his electric bills are 60% higher than the norm. Maybe he should stop whining, move where there is work or change fields.

Maybe you should see the advice to start his own thing as an honest assessment of where he is. Florida is notoriously overbuilt. Unless he is doing decorative work (also flat as consumer spending is still down), he needs to do something else. Or just wait for the unemployment to run out.

Meanwhile, since you're his "neighbor" maybe you could lend some constructive criticism or better yet offer him a job.
I'm an interior designer, I need to point out the fact that there is NO decorative ANYTHING going on here in any large or continuous fashion, certainly not enough to make a living.
As a matter of fact, the Thomasville Furniture store is closing, its the 6th furniture store in 2 years to go down the tubes.
I am moving back to STL to try and find work. My husband works for Lockheed, so he has work, and our house is paid for, but we are pretty much treading water, so I need some real work, which STL has.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRELL-N-FLORIDA View Post
You didnt answer an earlier question on a post. Did you start out broke and unemployed like myself?
No you were working for someone making money, then you saved and then ventured off on your own.
I plan on in the future having my own welding and fabrication repair shop or mobile.
But I have to be working for someone first just to save enough money to do so.
Your mind is so clouded and scattered abroad to where you dont understand how you started and where I am now.
You have a closed mind on things.
You have a big ego and your mind has shut down for reasonable and rational thinking.
Most people don't have enough money to start a business properly. They beg and borrow from friends and relatives, put together a decent business plan and get a loan or line of credit, or borrow against their home. It's not easy or guaranteed but that's how it's done. Most businesses don't start out as Google with a fancy IPO, they start with someone's 401k, a loan from relatives or a 2nd mortgage.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

20 posts, read 63,124 times
Is the cost of living in Oscala really that high?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechichiChihuahuas View Post
Is the cost of living in Oscala really that high?

In a word......NO. Those who complain about the high cost in living in Ocala have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Come to New Jersey where we have the highest property taxes of all 50 states. New Jersey has 17 of the top 25 highest counties in the US for property taxes. We also have a state income tax and 7% tax on items purchased. Geeze....we even have to pay a fee to sit on a public beach !!!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 19,457 times
I lived in NY and lived in Ocala, living anywhere is high if you make less than you spend. The sales taxes are higher up north and the pay scale is lower in Ocala. AOL posted an article explaining why Ocala was high on the foreclosure list, just under Detroit. Your reality is real inspite of someone else's opinion so good luck in finding something. It is, afterall, truly rough all over for many people.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
In a word......NO. Those who complain about the high cost in living in Ocala have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Come to New Jersey where we have the highest property taxes of all 50 states.

Which is due to the fact that the state constitution requires that local schools be funded by property taxes. Expect them to go even higher since Christie wants to cut aid to schools and aid to municipalities.

New Jersey has 17 of the top 25 highest counties in the US for property taxes. We also have a state income tax

The majority of states do.

and 7% tax on items purchased.

So do other states -- and NY's sales tax is higher (and NYC's is even higher again).

Geeze....we even have to pay a fee to sit on a public beach !!!
Not in the Wildwoods or in Cape May.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 63,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
In a word......NO. Those who complain about the high cost in living in Ocala have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Come to New Jersey where we have the highest property taxes of all 50 states. New Jersey has 17 of the top 25 highest counties in the US for property taxes. We also have a state income tax and 7% tax on items purchased. Geeze....we even have to pay a fee to sit on a public beach !!!
don't forget your exit tax in New Jersey

Old 05-09-2010, 02:58 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbug View Post
don't forget your exit tax in New Jersey
There's no such thing, though people love spreading misinformation about it.

On real estate sales for non-residents or people moving out of state, a certain percentage of the proceeds is withheld to make sure that the seller isn't required to pay capital gains taxes on the sale. The amount is refunded once it's determined that capital gains aren't due (or course, if you sell a home that doesn't qualify, you'll pay - just like you'd pay the Feds).

Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 63,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
There's no such thing, though people love spreading misinformation about it.

On real estate sales for non-residents or people moving out of state, a certain percentage of the proceeds is withheld to make sure that the seller isn't required to pay capital gains taxes on the sale. The amount is refunded once it's determined that capital gains aren't due (or course, if you sell a home that doesn't qualify, you'll pay - just like you'd pay the Feds).
Sarcasm dear...hence the smiley face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala