Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,331,453 times

Advertisements

I have family in Bath and Richfield. The schools seem pretty good and it is a nice area. How would that be for KiwiFamily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

22 posts, read 54,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I have family in Bath and Richfield. The schools seem pretty good and it is a nice area. How would that be for KiwiFamily?
tgbwc..
Thank you for your response, I will do some research and find out some more information about Bath & Richfield.

Thank you for taking the time so share,
K.L

Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,331,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiFamily4 View Post
tgbwc..
Thank you for your response, I will do some research and find out some more information about Bath & Richfield.

Thank you for taking the time so share,
K.L
It looks to me like Richfield and Bath would be about 20-25 minutes or so from Barberton. All interstate. Someone else more familiar with the area will know better.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 13,300 times
Hello! I live in the Akron area and has been her for 20 years. Akron area for the most part is safe. The unemployment rate is at the national average. Akron/Sumit County has many great Metro Parks and is located within a commuting distance to Cleveland and Canton. As for an area to live I would say any of the suburbs ( except Barberton) or Ellet section in Akron.

I would not listen to any of the negative commets for that Akron is no worse off then the rest of the country.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Yep, a city that has shed 1/3rd of its population and is still depopulating is no worse off than the rest of the country. No worries.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 13,300 times
Chicago's unemployment rate is 9.4% - Akron is 9.1%. I guess Akron is not doing so bad after all!!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Chicago's unemployment rate has nothing to do with Akron's substantial and still ongoing rapid depopulation. But I'm sure Akron's doing just great.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM

16,554 posts, read 19,730,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chicago's unemployment rate has nothing to do with Akron's substantial and still ongoing rapid depopulation. But I'm sure Akron's doing just great.
"Ongoing rapid depopulation"? Can we have a source for this information, please?
Yes, the CITY of AKRON has had some population loss.
But it isn't as bad as whatever you read said it was.

According to this:
Akron (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
A loss of 3.4%
First off not a HUGE number. Second... Hmmm. Where are all these people going?
Maybe to Akron suburbs? That would seem to jive with this statistic:
Summit County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
So Summit COUNTY lost .1% while the biggest city in Summit County lost 3.4%? Do I need to spell it out?

Go ahead... get to Googling to prove me wrong. Always nice to do research AFTER you claim facts... GO on, I'll wait...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,183,722 times
Kiwi,

Drover is a troll. Don't mind him.

Akron has a few poverty and crime issues, but it isn't horrible. Still, I would recommend the surrounding suburbs for better schools and better proximity. Norton, Wadsworth, Fairlawn, and Portage Lakes are all nice areas with pretty good schools on average. Even Barberton is OK. Probably the best two school systems in the area are Revere (Bath and Richfield) and Green (Green and Uniontown). Bath and Richfield will give you the best proximity to Barberton and the Cleveland Area which has much more in the way of culture and activity than Greater Akron. Either way, the two cities are so close together (40 miles/65 km or so from downtown to downtown) that it really doesn't matter where you decide to reside. Either would be accessible.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Population data is readily available to anyone who wants to find it. Akron has been depopulating for decades and the depopulation continues unabated. I'm sorry if the facts are too uncomfortable for some people, so uncomfortable in fact that they have to use 3-year-old data to hide from the truth. Try using the 2009 population estimate for Akron instead of the 2006 estimate, then get back to me.

"The county only lost .1%" That's nice, but it would have needed to gain 9% just to keep up with national population trends. As the saying goes, people vote with their feet. So why hasn't Summit County merely kept up with population trends, much less shrunk as a proportion of national population, if it's such an awesome place to live?

Don't hate the messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio