Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 AM

22 posts, read 22,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My choice would be Columbus. Cleveland does indeed have the feel of a big town and has the proper infrastructure but the weather (winter) is god-awful!

Cincinnati does not have the leadership, infrastructure, mentality or desire to be anything more than a backwater town.

Columbus has leadership and ability. Being the seat of state power, it could pull the proper strings to get the infrastructure.
I would agree Cincinnati is in major debut and hardly any new jobs in the area...Just this past month they are thinking about laying off more than 200 firefighter and police officers in the city. They have a long way to go to get on track. And as for the subway tunnels, they were built in the early 20th century but were never used, perfect example of the city wasting money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
... this is your response, but at the same time you're against the streetcar???

You have to be for one or the other.

No you don'r. Who made the rule that having a street care takes you out of backwater status?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My choice would be Columbus. Cleveland does indeed have the feel of a big town and has the proper infrastructure but the weather (winter) is god-awful!

Cincinnati does not have the leadership, infrastructure, mentality or desire to be anything more than a backwater town.

Columbus has leadership and ability. Being the seat of state power, it could pull the proper strings to get the infrastructure.
Cleveland has the size, but it it too reliant on manufacturing still. Not a very diversified ecomony and that has been severely hurting it for decades. It would need a TON of revitalization. Cincinnati is much the same, but not quite like Cleveland. Also, Cincy's geography is terrible for growth. It's the most confusing city to drive around, and the surrounding terrain would make it hard for much expansion out from the core. I would agree that Columbus is the best choice. Plenty of room to grow, great highway system and an increasing hub for train traffic, a diversified economy, and the state gov't already there. It's already the largest city in the state as well.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

75 posts, read 176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCINNATI91 View Post
I would agree Cincinnati is in major debut and hardly any new jobs in the area...Just this past month they are thinking about laying off more than 200 firefighter and police officers in the city. They have a long way to go to get on track. And as for the subway tunnels, they were built in the early 20th century but were never used, perfect example of the city wasting money.

That was because both the Police Dept. and Fire Dept. increased their personnel and budget during the last decade by as much as 30%. During this same time the City's pop. increased by no more than 5%.

Is it really backwards to cut back in these departments, rather than give them funding that they do not need?

By the by...complaining about what the city did in the 1920's does in no way relate to what the current city government is doing now. It is a logical fallacy to assume there is some sort of correlation there as the periods are widely different and separated by decades. Perhaps that doesn't matter to those who are simply interested in bashing the city at every turn.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM

75 posts, read 176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No you don'r. Who made the rule that having a street care takes you out of backwater status?

I believe the suggestion is that a backwater would not have the foresight nor the funding to improve its' infrastructure. A backwater would only focus on things like funding the Police and Fire dept.'s more and more rather than addressing the root causes of the problems that the fire dept. and police dept. must deal with i.e. violence and crime as a result of poor economic opportunity and lack of funding for education. As well as house fires and vacant building fires caused by power lines that need updating.

Seems the problems are a lot grayer than some would like to think.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,227 times
Ah, come on -- is this really a serious thread? And, if so, what should we entitle it -- "Midwest Megalomania" or "Buckeye Delusions of Grandeur"?

First, trying to imagine Ohio's 3-C's as one gigantic megapolis that will outsize Philadelphia and challenge Chicago is really stretching it. Since we cannot easily airlift our three biggest cities and plunk them down next to each other, we're gonna have to populate a lot of corn and soybean fields along the road from Cincy to C-Bus to Cleve. (homegrown or immigrant; take your pick) But as much as we might like to see Ohio explode onto the national (or even international) stage, there would need to be an influx of people rivaling that of the largest Chinese cities (think Chongqing or Guangzhou) or of population densities like those of Cologne/Essen/Dusseldorf/Wuppertal or Manchester/Liverpool. Pray tell, what would trigger such a boom in Ohio in the foreseeable future?

Second, please realize how large greater Philadelphia really is -- its MSA is what Cleveland/Akron/Canton/Youngstown/et al could have been, would have been, should have been -- as long as you throw in Pittsburgh's MSA to make it a fair fight. So, let's all go back to the drawing-board by picking on cities more our own size -- LIKE EACH OTHER, heh heh!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,908,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Ah, come on -- is this really a serious thread? And, if so, what should we entitle it -- "Midwest Megalomania" or "Buckeye Delusions of Grandeur"?

First, trying to imagine Ohio's 3-C's as one gigantic megapolis that will outsize Philadelphia and challenge Chicago is really stretching it. Since we cannot easily airlift our three biggest cities and plunk them down next to each other, we're gonna have to populate a lot of corn and soybean fields along the road from Cincy to C-Bus to Cleve. (homegrown or immigrant; take your pick) But as much as we might like to see Ohio explode onto the national (or even international) stage, there would need to be an influx of people rivaling that of the largest Chinese cities (think Chongqing or Guangzhou) or of population densities like those of Cologne/Essen/Dusseldorf/Wuppertal or Manchester/Liverpool. Pray tell, what would trigger such a boom in Ohio in the foreseeable future?

Second, please realize how large greater Philadelphia really is -- its MSA is what Cleveland/Akron/Canton/Youngstown/et al could have been, would have been, should have been -- as long as you throw in Pittsburgh's MSA to make it a fair fight. So, let's all go back to the drawing-board by picking on cities more our own size -- LIKE EACH OTHER, heh heh!
What an idiotic post! Clearly you did not read what my intention was. Uslessness on CD amazes me sometimes. Thanks for trying though.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
What an idiotic post! Clearly you did not read what my intention was. Uslessness on CD amazes me sometimes. Thanks for trying though.
Unfortunately, I did understand your intent and I responded accordingly. Now let me ask you a question -- did your make-believe scenario really belong on this forum...or on a Sci-Fi site?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

285 posts, read 642,870 times
This site.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,723,291 times
Yeah, this site. There's nothing wrong with this post.... It's interesting to others including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio