Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM

285 posts, read 641,972 times

Advertisements

There is always a debate about what the best city is in Ohio and it usually ends up being narrowed down to the larger 3 C's. So if you could not choose from one of the 3 C's and could only choose from the mid sized cities (Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Dayton, or Toledo) which one is the best?

I'll start it off by voting for my hometown of Toledo . I like it because it is a Great Lakes city with access to boating, fishing, etc. It also has an excellent art museum, zoo, and minor league sports teams. Go Walleye !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Although I grew up in the Canton area, I choose Youngstown. It also has great amenities, like great art museums and performance halls, but it also has Mill Creek Park.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,418 times
youngstown has no jobs, one art museum, one perfromance hall, one large park, plenty of corruption, and lots of crime. hardly the best at anything other than shrinking, and they can't even get enough money to keep up with demolition.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
youngstown has no jobs, one art museum, one perfromance hall, one large park, plenty of corruption, and lots of crime. hardly the best at anything other than shrinking, and they can't even get enough money to keep up with demolition.
Jobs are hard to get anywhere, right now.

Maybe the The McDonough Museum of Art isn't a "great" art museum, but it does make more than one in the city. (and, for those who don't know, I assume you were thinking of The Butler Institute of American Art)

Again, I assume you're thinking of the Stambaugh Auditorium but there is also the De Yor Performing Arts Center

I'd hardly call Mill Creek MetroParks "one large park." I would call Wick Park (34 acres) "one large park," though. (and there are a number of smaller city parks throughout the city; just like any other)

There may be corruption at the county level, (and I expect the feds will be coming in soon to do more house cleaning: Youngstown News, Feds aren’t folding up their tent) but where is it, at the city level?

Crime is still an issue in Youngstown, just like all of Ohio's cities. I'm a patient man, and don't expect miracles. So, as long as the crime rate continues to fall, I'll be content.

And, to make my disagreement with you nearly complete,() I think Youngstown has done a poor job of shrinking. Generally, demolitions are still scattered throughout the city. I don't believe any neighborhoods have been prioritized for stabilization or elimination by the city. The Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation has targeted neighborhoods to invest in, but they aren't connected to the city.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,753 times
I haven't been to any of the other cities (besides the 3 Cs) in a long time so I have to pick Toledo by default.

We have a good strategic location which I think will further serve us in the future, with our port on the Great Lakes, as well as being at the crossroads of two of the most important highways in America ( 75 and 80/90/turnpike).

I also think Toledos redevelopment potential is outstanding. We have a pretty big stock of old historic buildings that will be prime for rehab, and not to mention Toledo is pretty huge, even bigger than Cinci in land area so our development won't be limited anytime soon.

We have all the crime problems that other rust belt cities have but I think we will see a general decrease in that as we redevelop our city and attract new jobs, especially in the solar field.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM

200 posts, read 449,179 times
Toledo and Dayton

Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
I would have to say Akron. Having the university next to downtown has really helped and things seem to be improving over the last decade.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I would have to say Akron. Having the university next to downtown has really helped and things seem to be improving over the last decade.
Yeah, I'd have to go with Akron as well.

According to city-data, Akron has consistently lower crime rates. And in my personal experience, Akron has much less "urban blight" than any of the other cities listed.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 24,094 times
Neffs is a very nice small town very little crime, great school system from Bellaire, close to large shopping malls, far enough away as not to be bothered with traffic.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM

32 posts, read 109,452 times
Akron or dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio