Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 17,496 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Ohio my entire life and just love it. I currently live just north of Dayton and I'm considering a move to Portsmouth. It has been many years since I spent anytime there. I have two children and would be starting a photography studio there. I know the hills are beautiful and I hear the college is doing extremely well. Any other thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 12:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
I've never been, but my wife and I seriously considered moving to Portsmouth a few years back. I have a friend who teaches at the college there. He tells me "it's in the rust belt, but I love it here!"

We didn't move because the job just didn't pay well enough, but we're still interested in parts of Ohio.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 17,496 times
Thanks for your reply! I have heard it's becoming a cross between a retirement town and a college town. Sounds interesting!!

Last edited by Marka; 09-19-2006 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa brown View Post
I've lived in Ohio my entire life and just love it. I currently live just north of Dayton and I'm considering a move to Portsmouth. It has been many years since I spent anytime there. I have two children and would be starting a photography studio there. I know the hills are beautiful and I hear the college is doing extremely well. Any other thoughts??

I love Portsmouth, Ohio. I would not mind living there myself but that will be a long time off. I have family there. May I ask what Brown's you are related to as my maiden name is Brown?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 PM

64 posts, read 320,909 times
The college is growing and doing well. The town is not.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,527 times
im sorry to inform you but portsmouth is one of the worst citys to live or visit i was born here and am currently living here.the crime rate and gangs that have taken over from bigger citys in ohio are outstanding.there are no jobs here,housing is horrible,people are always out to get what they can out of you,but don't ask them for help it's a sin.this is a welfare town ask anyone.the rich here are the masters and they keep it that way,they don't like to share,so they control local gov. to keep out higher paying jobs,for example theres a plastic factory in franklin furnace they used to start out at around $8 an hr. since minn. wage was raised they lowered there pay to match minn. wage.?thats nutts.i'm getting my familiy out of here agian and moving back to mn. now thats a place to live.....!! so good luck if you dare to live here.oh i almost forgot the cops are crooked to.and thats fact i personely know two who quit because of it.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,447 times
I have moved to Portsmouth about 7 months ago. i am from a town about 45 mins away and never visited. my town was nice and i love ohio so i thought ports would be ok. its not. if you do come do not live within the city limits and you better hope to have a job before coming or you will be saying would you like fries with that or you might get lucky and say paper or plastic. it is the worst county in ohio for drugs. and the crim is just as bad. my sister in-law had her car broken into 3 times in the matter of 4 months and it was never the same person. always visit before you move. i am not staying and i have a good job.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 37,567 times
Smile My Take,for what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieNGeorgia View Post
I love Portsmouth, Ohio. I would not mind living there myself but that will be a long time off. I have family there. May I ask what Brown's you are related to as my maiden name is Brown?
Greetings Ms Brown, You & I are about on the same wave link. I have been seriouly thinking about moving to Portsmouth OH myself. Currently live in Columbus & have a 10 year old grandchild that I want to get out of the traps of big city life & into a smaller community atmosphere. I was thinking Portsmouth would be that place. Small everything ,population,schools,traffic,crime, taxes ect. I have made several trips down there & looked around for housing & schools. It is so beautiful down there in those hills. Here's what I have been told by a real estate woman I talked with. She did not advise me to live in Portsmouth it self. She said Wheelersburg & Lucasville have about the best schools around. My husband was born & raised in Sciotoville & went to Portsmouth East schools. but that was 50 years ago. If what the folks who have taken the time to give their input here ( & they live there so I am assuming they have a better insite ) on what it is like to live there is true then maybe I should put more time into some research. Think I will start talking to more locals & see what the big picture is. My question is : if that city of 20,000 + has such a bad reputation what is the mayor doing about it? Why aren't the citizens taking issues on their city's problems. It is not that big of a town to let it get out of control like these folks are saying. What's Up With That? It seems to me that if a city wants growth & jobs they would start taking a good hard look at what they have become & start doing something about it. It surely can't be that big of a job for a mayor & it's citizians backing him to "Clean up the town" so to speak .Staring with the police department. What are your thoughts now about moving to Portsmouth? I think there is hope for any small town. Gaylee from C

Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,554 times
I've lived in portsmouth almost all of the 21 years of my life, this place is absolutely horrible, crooked cops, city officials, etc. For instance the portsmouth area could have had a major mall, but was shot down by city council because the martings family didnt want competition. So instead, the best we are stuck with is a walmart. The city itself looks extremely run down, really about the only pretty thing to look at is our new schools and the foliage. As of now you have to drive about 30-40 minutes just to get to a town which has more than just a walmart. The people here are all on welfare as is evident from common sense and the fact that the majority of the businesses are food oriented. Horrible place to live.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,080 times
Unhappy you would have to be desperate to live here

I moved here almost 3 years ago due to my husband's job. I have never seen a town so depressing. There is totally nothing going here.gs And everyday i am depressed. Maybe that is why there are so many addicts here..they just want to supress their feelings of boredom, poverty and dirty city (especially New boston). Chillicothe is like a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio