Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from SW Virginia to SE Ohio to be closer to family. Considering all the negative press about fracking, I am wary about it. Anyone there experiencing problems? Lots of fracking activity going on? If we move, we will be buying several acres and doing some farming, so land rights and water quality are a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
If your family lives south of I-70, there is little fracking going on there. Most of it is in the areas around Steubenville so far.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Exclamation Ohio is fracked!!!!

don't do it!!! Kasich is allowing so much waste from fracking into our state that i would discourage a visit all together. the hunting and fishing are worse and the roads are getting worse. on top of that they allow brine directly from flowback from fracking to be directly applied to city county and state roads - unregulated. so there will be so much radium 222 on the roads at any given time that you might as well be traveling in a hazmat suit.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
Default SE Ohio being devoured

My kids live in Guernsey County, about 15 miles east of Cambridge, OH. they are about five miles north of I-70. They have been watching a flare intermittently for the past couple of months, about a 1/3 mile from where they live way out away from any town. The well was fracked and flared for about two weeks initially, then last week was flared for three days, I assume because they drilled and fracked without proper pipeline infrastructure to transport the product yet. The flame is well over 100 feet high, and lights up the sky. Their neighbor behind them is scheduled for a well, likely horizontal, in 2014. His attitude is that he barely understands the risks involved with water and air contamination, but for the money they are paying him, they can have his place. Here is a link to a well being flared about 15 miles south of I-70, in Monroe County:

Flaring Gas Well - Monroe County, Ohio - July 19, 2012 - YouTube
This is part of what we are beginning to experience in rural SE Ohio. The site on this YouTube also has an open waste pit. It appears to be a low-lying area, so I surely hope it is not flood prone, as much of that area of Ohio is.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
Here is a map that should help. It is updated periodically. [url]http://batchgeo.com/map/f92ae90c328f8349f5d341a809ded836[/url]

Last edited by AleeA; 09-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Cannot get link to hyperlink

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumontthedog View Post
don't do it!!! Kasich is allowing so much waste from fracking into our state that i would discourage a visit all together. the hunting and fishing are worse and the roads are getting worse. on top of that they allow brine directly from flowback from fracking to be directly applied to city county and state roads - unregulated. so there will be so much radium 222 on the roads at any given time that you might as well be traveling in a hazmat suit.
Talk about an exaggeration from a fractivist.

Pretty much everything you said is an outright lie.

Waste is controlled by Federal laws. Ohio couldn't stop it if we wanted to.

Brine has been sprayed on our roads since they were paved 70 years ago. None of it is from horizontal drilling flowback, or hydraulic fracturing.

Hunting, and fishing are getting worse because of drilling. Plain outright lies.

In fact, it has been proven that just about everything the fractivists spout is an outright lie to push their agenda.

You will hear them spout about Dimmock, Pa. as their Holy Grail. It has been proven several times over that it was all lies. They know that if they repeat the lies enough times, people will believe them.

This is the ODNR website on drilling activity. There have been 359 permits issues since 2009. Only 129 drills have actually been drilled, and less than 20 are in production.
Oil and Natural Gas Well and Shale Drilling Resources - Ohio DNR Division of Mineral Resources Management

This is a website where you can talk to land owners that are involved in all of this, and there are industry experts to answer questions. Go Marcellus Shale - All things pertaining to the Marcellus & Utica Shale I would hope that you actually take the time to learn before basing decisions on negative press by fractivist hippies.

I can also tell you about my own personal experience. I have an old shallow oil well in my back yard. A new deep Utica well is being drilled across the street from me, and they just finished one 2 miles from me. We can't even tell they are there. They have never been a bother to us. We have to drive by, and really look to even see anything.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: