Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 193,822 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a home sitting on 5 acres. When I walked to the very back of my property I could see some old stakes with pink ribbons indicating my property line. Basically my house backs up with 5 acres to the street behind me. All of those houses back up with 1 acre. I noticed my back neighbor has planted two pine trees on my property (therefore extending their 1 acre back another 20 yards or so). I spoke with my other neighbor and he confirmed the trees would be on my land (he has a 5 acre lot right next door to mine). The previous tenant of the house I bought never really went back there for the last 12 years however the city does have on record that I own the full 5 acres, which is also what I agreed to purchase. I know the land where they have the trees planted is mine.

If I don't act quick could the neighbor keep my land they have planted trees on? Does my time to act start when I purchase the house or could I be in trouble since the previous owner never said anything to the neighbor. I'm thinking my first step is to get a new survey and have them put down concrete poles. Once I have 100% proof its my land, then I could approach the owners and just politely let them know the trees are on my side of the property line. The thing is I really don't care that they plant a tree there but I don't want to lose my land. I also don't want to stir anything up with my neighbor if it isn't necessary.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
I don't believe planting trees is enough on Ohio. They have to be in continuous possession.

Adverse Possession and Prescriptive Easements

Any time you want to research laws in Ohio, start your google search with "Ohio Revised Code". After that add squatters rights, property rights, driving laws, license plates, or whatever it is you want to search about.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 26,820 times
I'm not yet a resident of Ohio, nor an expert on local law, but if you neighbor plants trees on your property, they become your trees, do they not?
It is not as though your neighbor parked his car on your property, but a tree is an elemental part of the land and hence a integrated part of your property.
Best course would be to discuss the issue with your neighbor, perhaps with a survey report in hand.
At all times you are free to dispose of any tree not planted by you or a state authority, and which sits squarely on your property without any known easement or overhang. Your neighbor can have no legal voice in your landscaping decisions.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times
You need to have your property surveyed first if the trees are on it cut them down.A friend of mine is in the same position right now with his A personality neighbor who took advantage of his ailing father problem is my friend is an A personality too. My friend suggested financial compensation for the several feet of encroachment [ His neighbor had a driveway and garage built while his father was in the hospital ] .....To avoid conflict see if your neighbor is a good guy or gal and be nice maybe compromise.

Is it city water sewage or septic? Root systems do a great deal of damage check to see how your utilities run....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio