Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I wondered the same thing about the University of Dayton - why does this place register with so many New Yorkers?
Lots of Catholics in the New York area + one of the largest Catholic universities in the country makes some level of sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Lots of Catholics in the New York area + one of the largest Catholic universities in the country makes some level of sense

I figured they would go to school closer to home given all the Catholic universities on the east coast.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts8 View Post
I'm not planning a current move, but I'm more than curious. I've lived in NYC all of my life and I've grown really tired of it. Every so often I toy with the idea of making a move, and for some reason, the suburbs of Youngstown have always come up. Boardman, Canfield, Austintown, etc. I really "feel" them. Next month I'm going to take a trip out there and see what kind of vibe I get; see if it's for me. The high maintenance, snooty, crazy cost of living way of life of this city has really sucked the happy out of me. I'm thinking something a little more simple and down to earth might really suit me well.
You choose a very good state to check out. We are originally from New York and moved to Pa. three years ago and hated it. We liked in Wilkes Barre and for the most part the people there hated New Yorkers. We moved to Warren Ohio in November and couldn't be happier. We lived in Stony Brook, NY with taxes over $20,000 and now in Warren the taxes are under $2,000. The homes are between $40,000 and $100,000 or so and you can get a house for under $40,000. The people are so friendly and being from New York is fine. Warren reminds us of Long Island, but the cost of living is about 1/3 of New York. Boardman has a lot of shopping and Canfield is a very cute historic area. If you need any further information you can DM me. We are just starting to explore Ohio and love it. Warren

Old 07-13-2013, 04:23 PM

I have a prediction about North East Ohio. People from New York, New Jersey and even Pennsylvania will begin to populate this area, in a good way. I feel that once they see the beauty and friendliness of the area they will have doubts of where they live and sell their homes and move here. We've had nothing but good things to say about the area and the people are the friendliest we've met. Nothing is going to change my mind.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Handel's Ice Cream is a really good reason! Yes, Youngstown/Warren's suburbs are very nice for the most part and safe, yet affordable. I know there are several ex-New Yorkers here that I've heard of. I had a professor in college that knew some retired NYC cops that retired to Youngstown (yes, they retired to the city). Then I met a couple and their elderly mother that retired to Mineral Ridge from Brooklyn. I also came across a lady at my previous job that moved to Struthers from Connecticut based on research on the internet and she loves it here. We have great highway access and are close enough to Cleveland and Pittsburgh if you need a little more culture than Ytown can offer. I see you're Italian, so you will feel right at home! Our pizza is good too!

Handel's Ice Cream ROCKS!

My son has some ex New York professors. I can understand the appeal. Similar weather too.

And yes, Pizza here in NE Ohio is very very good.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I have a prediction about North East Ohio. People from New York, New Jersey and even Pennsylvania will begin to populate this area, in a good way. I feel that once they see the beauty and friendliness of the area they will have doubts of where they live and sell their homes and move here. We've had nothing but good things to say about the area and the people are the friendliest we've met. Nothing is going to change my mind.
Prediction: I think nyers, jerseyites will migrate to just about every area in the US. Y-town area is probably the lowest COL in the US, East coasters are getting taxed to death. My guess is that MV is attractive to the lower incomers from these high taxed areas. The more affluent will move to more attractive areas of the country. 10s of thousand annually of NY/NJ people are moving to Carolinas..

Last edited by ZnGuy; 07-13-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Prediction: I think nyers, jerseyites will migrate to just about every area in the US. Y-town area is probably the lowest COL in the US, East coasters are getting taxed to death. My guess is that MV is attractive to the lower incomers from these high taxed areas. The more affluent will move to more attractive areas of the country. 10s of thousand annually of NY/NJ people are moving to Carolinas..

I am originally from NY and a few years ago east coasters were moving in droves to the Carolinas. The Carolinas are much more expensive than NE Ohio. We came from an affluent area of Long Island and have spoken to some friends from Long Island who appear interested in NE Ohio due to the lower cost of living and friendliness of it's people AND the people here have no problem with easterners. As far as poor people from the east coast moving here, when they are paying $1,500 to $2,000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment, they will be unable to move due to the cost of the move. I am referencing people wanting to purchase older homes and the interest in living in an older established neighborhood with tree lined streets, not the McMansion type of people.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Do you think they want to live in an area where over 18% of the housing units are vacant?

Do they want to live in an area that is in the bottom 7% for safety?

Do they want to live where over 1/3 of the people are below the poverty level?

Do they want to live in a city whose population dropped another 2% in the last 2 years?

If it was such a great deal don't you think people would have been flocking here and not leaving?

Add in some of the worst schools in the state and terrible city services.

I am describing Warren, Ohio. The Youngstown numbers are worse.

If anyone is considering the area they should read the Tribtoday site to get a feel for the area and look at the youtube videos Warren Ohio 1-4 and the one called Abandoned.

I left Howland, a much nicer area than Warren, because I could see the writing on the wall. I still speak to people there daily. Don't get me wrong. There are many nice areas in Ohio. They are just in different parts of the state.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I am originally from NY and a few years ago east coasters were moving in droves to the Carolinas. The Carolinas are much more expensive than NE Ohio. We came from an affluent area of Long Island and have spoken to some friends from Long Island who appear interested in NE Ohio due to the lower cost of living and friendliness of it's people AND the people here have no problem with easterners. As far as poor people from the east coast moving here, when they are paying $1,500 to $2,000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment, they will be unable to move due to the cost of the move. I am referencing people wanting to purchase older homes and the interest in living in an older established neighborhood with tree lined streets, not the McMansion type of people.
Don't kid yourself, there are many areas in NE much more expensive than the Carolinas, especially in CLE area (and east coasters are still moving in droves to Carolinas). I paid 15k in taxes/yr. in Chagrin Falls and housing and everything else was much more expensive than most areas in OH (and the Carolinas) but I will say it was a very desirable area and I would strongly recommend if you can afford. There is a relationship to cost of area and how desirable an area is. There is a reason why you can purchase a home dirt cheap in a area. You can also buy a home in the worst part of Detroit for $20k..and most areas have no problem with 'easterners' and yes there are 'good people' every where...

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Do you think they want to live in an area where over 18% of the housing units are vacant?

Do they want to live in an area that is in the bottom 7% for safety?
Why not? Just don't live in one of the unsafe areas, if it bothers you.

Quote:
Do they want to live where over 1/3 of the people are below the poverty level?
Why not? Having been a poor person growing up, I'm not bothered by being near people who are poor now.

Quote:
Do they want to live in a city whose population dropped another 2% in the last 2 years?
Why not? If more people moved to the city, its population wouldn't drop. That whole "last one out, turn out the lights" thing is just a figure of speech. You don't really have to worry about being the last one out. (anyway, after seeing how wrong their estimates were at the last census, I'm not paying much attention to their new estimates.)

Quote:
If it was such a great deal don't you think people would have been flocking here and not leaving?
People would be moving here, if it was easier to get a job. Isn't that the main reason people are moving to the sunbelt; because that's where the jobs moved to? But that's no reason to scare away people who did find a job, or don't need to worry about finding one.

Quote:
Add in some of the worst schools in the state and terrible city services.
Indeed, YCS and WCS, are poorly performing districts. If that's a concern, there are plenty of excellent school districts in neighboring suburbs.
Quote:
I am describing Warren, Ohio. The Youngstown numbers are worse.
Are they? I don't remember these stats by heart, or anything, but I thought it was more of a mixed bag.

Quote:
If anyone is considering the area they should read the Tribtoday site to get a feel for the area and look at the youtube videos Warren Ohio 1-4 and the one called Abandoned.
I can agree with reading the local papers' websites, as long as you ignore the comments. As for youtube videos, they are usually made with an agenda, and show what the film maker wanted you to see; not necessarily the whole story. I've done it myself on here, with my "What Youngstown looks like to me" thread.

Quote:
I left Howland, a much nicer area than Warren, because I could see the writing on the wall. I still speak to people there daily.
Ah, that's what I call the "self-fulfilling prophecy of the 'declining neighborhood'." People say: "I think it's going to get bad here, so I better leave before it does." By doing this, they are contributors to the problems that may never have happened, if everyone fleeing the "declining neighborhood" had just stayed put. (I've been tempted to make a thread about this in the Urban Planning forum)

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. There are many nice areas in Ohio. They are just in different parts of the state.
What makes this area different from the rest of the state? The core cities of the Mahoning Valley may not be as healthy as some other medium/big cities, but the suburbs and rural areas aren't really any different, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio