Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
We stayed at the state resort a couple of years ago. It's expensive but it's quite nice. In the evenings in the summer there is live music (jazz when we were there) in the patio area in the back of the complex facing the water. The town is walkable from the resort.

It's a nice area. The main attraction is the lake. In some ways the area is much cleaner than lakes and shorelines like Caesars Creek in the SW part of the state. Everything around there with the exception of Geneva on the Lake itself is quite tidy.

The town of G-O-T-L itself is a dive - choppers, tats, jello shots, repeated over and freaking over again. "YOU'RE ROWDY! PARTY HARDY! I GOT IT!!!" G-O-T-L feels like an open air redneck & biker educational exhibit. But, weirdly, I really didn't get a feeling of the place being edgy or the town being dangerous. The constant surface sleaziness seems to be for show.

I did see a lot of what looked like beach rentals between the resort and the town. I dunno, check VRBO.com if you want that.

Unless you own a boat or are into sport fishing or water sports, the area gets kind of old after more than a couple of days.

Ah, here: Geneva-on-the-Lake Ohio Vacation Rentals by Owner - Geneva-on-the-Lake Ohio VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Geneva-on-the-Lake Ohio Travel Information

Thanks for the heads up. An "open air red neck biker resort" isn't what I had in mind.

It looked quaint and beachy in May when no one was there.

What is the "state lake resort?" What's expensive?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,703,638 times
Ohio Resort Hotel | The Lodge at Geneva on the Lake

I just tried a reservation. Prices start at 139. It's probably at par for Ohio state resorts.

We stayed for two nights on a package for $199. Their mailing list will send out notices about deals.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:

I just tried a reservation. Prices start at 139. It's probably at par for Ohio state resorts.

We stayed for two nights on a package for $199. Their mailing list will send out notices about deals.
the Lodge is pretty nice (especially for the area). Geneva on the Lake can be fun to visit, nice winery, a little entertainment and interesting people watching. I suppose some people spend week vacations here, not my cup of tea....it's about as good as it gets in this corner of the state though (Ashtabula County).

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,703,638 times
Even though it sounded like I trashed the village, it is great for people watching and it is a nice little area.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:

They are reasonable and that's where we took my wife for Mother's Day ( sheena12) We all enjoyed it, and the resort and restaurant seemed upscale. The food was good and the view was breathtaking.

We were thinking that a retro cottage rental might be kind of fun, but if the place is generally wild that might not be a good idea.

Jello shots? Haven't had one since college.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 31,685 times
We have stayed at The Lakehouse Inn. It's pricey, but beautiful. They have three cottages (we stayed in one, it was roomy and very nice) a main house with rooms, and a beach house. Breakfast is included with your stay, and was tasty. They have their own winery, and a very nice restaurant, so you could take a cruise along the strip, but still come back to a nice, quiet evening on the beach:

The Lakehouse Inn & Winery Bed Breakfast Lake Erie Ohio, Northeast Ohio Bed and Breakfast

We also stayed at the Anchor Motel in a cottage. Cheaper, but not enough room to change your mind. Would be fine in summer when you don't spend a lot of times indoors, however, we were there in February, and the walls closed in quickly. It's within walking distance to one of the local watering holes, so it gets a bit loud, though we found the bar patrons to be friendly:

Anchor Motel and Cottages located at Geneva On The Lake, Ohio.

My suggestion is if you have the time, take a day trip and just explore a bit, you get a better idea of what is good and what is not so good then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio