Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major city in Ohio?
Cleveland 43 37.72%
Columbus 27 23.68%
Cincinnati 30 26.32%
Dayton 8 7.02%
Toledo 2 1.75%
Youngstown 1 0.88%
Akron 0 0%
Canton 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
False statement.. Northeast Ohio 16 counties have 4 mil.. If you include Huron, tuscararous, Erie, Holmes (20 counties) its 4.5 mil.. Almost half the states total population.
You won't get anywhere with this topic. Cinci and Cbus want to diminish Cleveland on any topic or point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You won't get anywhere with this topic. Cinci and Cbus want to diminish Cleveland on any topic or point.
I don't know about cincy but cbus people sure like to put down Cleveland, from my personal experience. Until they come visit me and realize Cleveland Is twice the urban footprint and has 2x more of everything (restaurants, nightclubs, bars, entertainment, etc. Etc.). .. On another note someone was complaining on the cbus forum regarding how small cbus is building its new buildings downtown. That's because the demand isn't there yet. ie cbus is getting a new 12 story hotel vs Cleveland's 30story hotel and clevelands 54story (650+ft.) Multi use apartment building along with a 30story apartment building announced for university circle.. From sports to museums to theatre/Broadway plays to outdoor recreation , cbus can't compete, not even close!. The only thing cbus has that Cleveland doesn't , is OSU. Fyi- even the quarterback that won championship is from Cleveland!

Old 01-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know about cincy but cbus people sure like to put down Cleveland, from my personal experience. Until they come visit me and realize Cleveland Is twice the urban footprint and has 2x more of everything (restaurants, nightclubs, bars, entertainment, etc. Etc.). .. On another note someone was complaining on the cbus forum regarding how small cbus is building its new buildings downtown. That's because the demand isn't there yet. ie cbus is getting a new 12 story hotel vs Cleveland's 30story hotel and clevelands 54story (650+ft.) Multi use apartment building along with a 30story apartment building announced for university circle.. From sports to museums to theatre/Broadway plays to outdoor recreation , cbus can't compete, not even close!. The only thing cbus has that Cleveland doesn't , is OSU. Fyi- even the quarterback that won championship is from Cleveland!
Cincinnati is worse from my personal experience in putting Cleveland down; it's this one-way rivalry Cinci has with Cleveland. Hence my post regarding Cinci being Top 15 world destination on that ''pay to list'' Jetsetter website; we all know Cleveland made the impressive and free destination lists for 2015.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Suggesting that regional populations within the state are probably fairly similar is not attempting to diminish Cleveland.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So you complain that others are trying to bash or "diminish" Cleveland, but then do the exact same thing to another city?

I didn't even vote in the dumb thread, and as per usual, you can't be proud of your own city without tearing down another. It's the Ohio way.

BTW, Columbus has the demand. What it doesn't have are decent developers and billionaire moguls investing in its downtown.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So you complain that others are trying to bash or "diminish" Cleveland, but then do the exact same thing to another city?

I didn't even vote in the dumb thread, and as per usual, you can't be proud of your own city without tearing down another. It's the Ohio way.

BTW, Columbus has the demand. What it doesn't have are decent developers and billionaire moguls investing in its downtown.
Cleveland was the U.S. city punching bag for 50 years so expect some backtalk. This includes the passive-agreement posts from many on here as well. So, for years, including on this forum, everyone focused on Cleveland's negatives and how ''over'' Cleveland is. Now, that point of view is ''over''.

If Columbus had the demand, there would be decent developers and billionaire moguls investing in its downtown. Not to say it can't or won't happen, it's just not there currently.

Clevelander Bob Stark invested in a Columbus architecture firm for his nuCLEus project. This would be the only reason this incredible project would be mentioned in Columbus; otherwise, it would be like Cincinnati, no report of it all.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Cleveland was the U.S. city punching bag for 50 years so expect some backtalk. This includes the passive-agreement posts from many on here as well. So, for years, including on this forum, everyone focused on Cleveland's negatives and how ''over'' Cleveland is. Now, that point of view is ''over''.

If Columbus had the demand, there would be decent developers and billionaire moguls investing in its downtown. Not to say it can't or won't happen, it's just not there currently.

Clevelander Bob Stark invested in a Columbus architecture firm for his nuCLEus project. This would be the only reason this incredible project would be mentioned in Columbus; otherwise, it would be like Cincinnati, no report of it all.
Yeah, I get that Cleveland was a punching bag for a long time, and still is in some circles. But so was Ohio in general, so every city in the state, even Columbus, has gotten that to a degree. Probably not nearly as much as cities like Cleveland and Toledo, but it's still been there. Anyway, I get that people are a bit sensitive about the subject, but it's completely hypocritical to demand respect and then turn around and not give any back. Posters from the 3-Cs seem to be in a constant "mine's bigger than yours" type of back and forth. I've engaged in it too, before. The problem is that that that really benefits none of the cities.
I've said it before, but all of Ohio is stronger being united in the belief that it's a great state with great cities rather than simply trying to prop up one above all others. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and I'm sure we could spend an endless amount of time talking about them (we virtually do already), but I'm not really sure what the end goal of that is.

Columbus' urban core has an occupancy rate of about 99%. Recent projects have been selling/renting out before they even start construction. Some urban neighborhoods are selling their homes so fast that they'd be down to a few week's supply if no more were brought to market. The last time I was in town in November, I was looking at houses in Olde Towne East for investment, and of the 10 houses I looked at during the week, 8 of them were in contract. Not a single new project in the last 5 years has had trouble with filling their spaces, despite the fact that rents, especially in the desirable areas, are exceeding $3,000/month in some cases. That all indicates fairly healthy demand. I imagine the same is pretty much true for Downtown Cleveland/UC.
So no, it's really not a demand problem. Consider again that Highpoint at Columbus Commons has 302 apartments in 6 stories. Based on the 9 unit-per-floor configuration of NuCLEus, this is equivalent to a 34-story building. It's arguably the worst urban project Columbus has seen in recent years from a design perspective, but even it is almost entirely filled at this point.
The issue is with developers I think, and perhaps an outdated view of Columbus. I remember reading a story from the mid-1980s about how city leaders at the time were thinking of ways to revitalize Downtown and to increase residents there. There were several quotes by developers basically saying that no one wanted to live in the urban core, that the future was suburbia. I have to wonder if some of those attitudes still exist within that group, and that's why they may be hesitant, despite the obvious demand, to take greater risks in larger projects.
However, the success of 12-story 250 High may help to prove that larger projects can be perfectly successful now, even if 12-stories is a pretty low bar to start from. It's still the tallest mixed-use residential project since North Bank in 2007, and only the 3rd residential building over 10 stories since 1988 when Waterford Tower was built. The only other was 26-story Miranova in 2001.
The question is, what happens from here? As frustrated as I am with the conservative development streak in the city, it's inevitable that Columbus will see some high-rise residential projects, probably announced within the next few years. Maybe not 54-stories, but I could definitely see something over 25 at least.
As far as nuCLEus goes, it's a big enough development that it was going to be reported on a wider scale than just in Cleveland, with or without the Columbus connection.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:50 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cincinnati - it's the most un-Ohio city in Ohio. ...
I liked this post.

I grew up in Dayton, so voted for it. I would have voted Cincinnati if we had to vote for a place that we didn't grow up in.

The thing is; the only other city I have been to pretty-much is Columbus. I know nothing about Toledo, Youngstown, Canton, Cleveland ( even though my family is mostly from there and I can still find some relatives being spoken about regarding a day camp in the area ).

It is a huge regret that I didn't explore more than just SW Ohio, but I'll make it up some day.

I wonder how many voters actually can talk a bit about each of the big cities in Ohio ( or even about most of them )?

It's perfectly OK to just vote for your hometown, but I think a courtesy-post is warranted. ( You know; like a courtesy-flush .... )

Old 01-17-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, I get that Cleveland was a punching bag for a long time, and still is in some circles. But so was Ohio in general, so every city in the state, even Columbus, has gotten that to a degree. Probably not nearly as much as cities like Cleveland and Toledo, but it's still been there. Anyway, I get that people are a bit sensitive about the subject, but it's completely hypocritical to demand respect and then turn around and not give any back. Posters from the 3-Cs seem to be in a constant "mine's bigger than yours" type of back and forth. I've engaged in it too, before. The problem is that that that really benefits none of the cities.
I've said it before, but all of Ohio is stronger being united in the belief that it's a great state with great cities rather than simply trying to prop up one above all others. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and I'm sure we could spend an endless amount of time talking about them (we virtually do already), but I'm not really sure what the end goal of that is.

Columbus' urban core has an occupancy rate of about 99%. Recent projects have been selling/renting out before they even start construction. Some urban neighborhoods are selling their homes so fast that they'd be down to a few week's supply if no more were brought to market. The last time I was in town in November, I was looking at houses in Olde Towne East for investment, and of the 10 houses I looked at during the week, 8 of them were in contract. Not a single new project in the last 5 years has had trouble with filling their spaces, despite the fact that rents, especially in the desirable areas, are exceeding $3,000/month in some cases. That all indicates fairly healthy demand. I imagine the same is pretty much true for Downtown Cleveland/UC.
So no, it's really not a demand problem. Consider again that Highpoint at Columbus Commons has 302 apartments in 6 stories. Based on the 9 unit-per-floor configuration of NuCLEus, this is equivalent to a 34-story building. It's arguably the worst urban project Columbus has seen in recent years from a design perspective, but even it is almost entirely filled at this point.
The issue is with developers I think, and perhaps an outdated view of Columbus. I remember reading a story from the mid-1980s about how city leaders at the time were thinking of ways to revitalize Downtown and to increase residents there. There were several quotes by developers basically saying that no one wanted to live in the urban core, that the future was suburbia. I have to wonder if some of those attitudes still exist within that group, and that's why they may be hesitant, despite the obvious demand, to take greater risks in larger projects.
However, the success of 12-story 250 High may help to prove that larger projects can be perfectly successful now, even if 12-stories is a pretty low bar to start from. It's still the tallest mixed-use residential project since North Bank in 2007, and only the 3rd residential building over 10 stories since 1988 when Waterford Tower was built. The only other was 26-story Miranova in 2001.
The question is, what happens from here? As frustrated as I am with the conservative development streak in the city, it's inevitable that Columbus will see some high-rise residential projects, probably announced within the next few years. Maybe not 54-stories, but I could definitely see something over 25 at least.
As far as nuCLEus goes, it's a big enough development that it was going to be reported on a wider scale than just in Cleveland, with or without the Columbus connection.
You can't compare the drubbing Cleveland has taken on a national level with anything Ohio or Columbus has had thrown at it. I don't recall Columbus being the national punchline; maybe because most people aren't familiar with it, don't know, but Cleveland and its citizens have had it bad to the point one didn't want to say where they were from due to the reaction.

Of course nuCLEus is going to be reported nationally, just somewhat in Columbus (because of its connection to the project) and none at all in Cincinnati. Reported nationally in business, architecture, urban renewal and planning etc stories.

How many Columbus and Cincinnati business and political leaders as well as media outlets rallied around Cleveland to land the 2016 RNC? None.

How many Cleveland business, political and media leaders are currently rooting for Columbus to land the 2016 DNC? Many.

Cleveland does not have many friends downstate there in Columbus and Cincinnati.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
You can't compare the drubbing Cleveland has taken on a national level with anything Ohio or Columbus has had thrown at it. I don't recall Columbus being the national punchline; maybe because most people aren't familiar with it, don't know, but Cleveland and its citizens have had it bad to the point one didn't want to say where they were from due to the reaction.

Of course nuCLEus is going to be reported nationally, just somewhat in Columbus (because of its connection to the project) and none at all in Cincinnati. Reported nationally in business, architecture, urban renewal and planning etc stories.

How many Columbus and Cincinnati business and political leaders as well as media outlets rallied around Cleveland to land the 2016 RNC? None.

How many Cleveland business, political and media leaders are currently rooting for Columbus to land the 2016 DNC? Many.

Cleveland does not have many friends downstate there in Columbus and Cincinnati.
So basically this seems all about some of you wanting to be bitter and keep the fight going over all the real or imagined slights you feel your city has taken. I'm not sure that's really the way to build a different perception, but hey, do what you want.

For my part, I like Cleveland and think its comeback is legit. Good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio