Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

As far as Kasich goes, I don't like him and never have. But in a field of GOP candidates that are largely insane, bigoted or religious zealots (or all of the above), Kasich almost seems like a reasonable moderate. I wouldn't vote for him, but he wouldn't be the worst the GOP offered up by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
This country appears to be very divided currently by race, economics, religion and sexual identities. I don't see any party truely leading this country back to its former glory.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
This country appears to be very divided currently by race, economics, religion and sexual identities. I don't see any party truely leading this country back to its former glory.
Consider Japan and West Germany after WWII.

In 20 years, we could make great progress, but only if both parties decide to deal with the nation's great problems.

Neither party has stepped to the plate yet, but the Republicans especially have been the party of "no" on many issues in which the Democrats likely would take action, especially on immigration, healthcare, and infrastructure IMO.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
back to its former glory.
And this is where we differ.

What exactly was the former glory to which we would be returning?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:43 PM

WE=WRnative;39680725]Consider Japan and West Germany after WWII.

In 20 years, we could make great progress, but only if both parties decide to deal with the nation's great problems.

Neither party has stepped to the plate yet, but the Republicans especially have been the party of "no" on many issues in which the Democrats likely would take action, especially on immigration, healthcare, and infrastructure IMO.[/quote]
I don't buy into either parties bs anymore. I still vote but it seems more and more futile and the under 40 age group tends to vote less..our future leaders. I'm not sure what you are inferring when you mentioned immigration. But I'm definitely on the side of legal immigration with the laws that Are in place but not being enforced. in my opinion this country needs to secure its borders not open them up to anybody Who just decides to just walk in. and in my opinion also it's a travesty that we allow this currently to happen and then give them everything free on the working stiffs TAxs... Are you concerned about the USA being surpassed by China as the worlds largest economy? Do you think many people who vote or don't vote understand how our dollar can be replaced as the worlds currency? Washington has most of the Americans watching the Kardashians or Bruce Jenner sex change operation. I don't see real news anymore on TV

Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
And this is where we differ.

When America was the strongest economic power in the world. When "made in America" was stamped on everything in your house.. when there were good paying jobs for all who wanted them to afford that house with all the American made stuff. When our dollar was backed by gold.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Kasich has nothing to do with local Cincinnati politics.
He has zero power related to the streetcar.
Kasich had a big say. He tried to show Mark Mallory how wrong they were in bulling ahead with a boondoggle that few would ride and fewer would be afford to pay for when he pulled the $50 million in state money and used it where it was needed... on roads. Unfortunately, John Kasich estimated the sheer lunacy of Cincinnati City Council.

Quote:
I'd like to see "Made in America" mean something again.

I'd like to see a world where America is respected, rather than laughed at.

I'd like to see a world where America is the preeminent economic, political, and military power that it once was.

I'd like to see a world where no President of the United States ever bows the knee to foreign despots again:

We can do this. We have all the tools we need right here at home. Secure the borders, deport all illegal immigrants, and make a massive investment in our national infrastructure and in our natural resources production. Every time in the history of the world, every successful economy has its' base in some sort of primary materials production - whether that be harvesting of natural resources or manufacturing of finished goods. We can't "service" each other to prosperity... the money has to come from somewhere.

Rather than blowing money on bullet trains to nowhere, California would use that money to build desalinization plants to harvest water from the ocean that covers 70% of the planet's surface, putting a permanent end to that state's drought problem. These plants would be powered by the new nuclear, coal, oil, and yes, alternative resources in an "all of the above" strategy.

Rather than pilfering 16% of the Federal gas taxes to fund mass transit, that money would be used on roads to close the highway trust fund shortfall. This would be accompanied by a large increase in concrete, steel, and other primary materials construction to fund a nationwide upgrading of our roads and bridges.

Then we must aggressively break up the power of state and local public employee unions, especially teacher's unions. That permits increased accountability in the schools, allows districts to get rid of the dead weight, and improve performance across the board. This will do more to improve education than any unlimited amount of free college as proposed by a certain independent senator from Vermont... all that would do is create millions of unemployed college grads.

Then we must reform the Department of Defense and streamline the acquisition process to ensure that the armed forces get their maximum bang for the buck... Currently there are many programs that have gone way over budget because they had no goal except to sustain themselves.

Allowing a non-Obama administration to blow its political capital on divisive issues such as abortion, gay marriage, etc, would derail more urgent issues of national security. The Founding Fathers were very clear in the limited scope of the federal government... and those issues should be decided by the states, as they often are.

Last edited by hensleya1; 05-20-2015 at 01:45 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Oh great, instead of intelligent conversation, we get tired, irrational and juvenile AM radio nonsense puked all over the page.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Oh great, instead of intelligent conversation, we get tired, irrational and juvenile AM radio nonsense puked all over the page.
Your comment adds nothing.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Hensleya1, good points but I don't believe a lot of your stats, particularly the 16% mass transit funding from the gas tax or John Kasich's intervention into the streetcar under Mark Mallory's leadership. I'll be able to double check them in about a week. So I do apologize for the delayed response, but it will be coming and I am looking forward to this debate. May cause me to think differently about Kasich haha.

To you both on the Made in America argument - the best way to make that happen would be a variety of not business friendly policies including tariffs and restrictive trade. And even then the issue wouldn't be solved - those days are long long gone. Unskilled labor can no longer sustain an American middle class lifestyle.

Instead we should be looking to how we can best leverage global resources ethically. And corporate America is taking leadership here, from many companies purauing impactful sustainability initiatives to more supplier partnerships and less vertical integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio