Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:15 PM

26 posts, read 45,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I'd be surprised if Macy's is around 10 years from now.
Yeah, I have read that they are closing a lot of their stores and are struggling. I wouldn't be surprised either if the company closes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 03:20 PM

26 posts, read 45,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Yep the mill is still open in Middletown.

I think that's most of Middletown's problem to be honest....
Really? I would think that its good in a way in the sense that it employs many people who live in the vicinity.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyeve1 View Post
Really? I would think that its good in a way in the sense that it employs many people who live in the vicinity.
Sure, but what's the cost?

A permanently toxic city
Poor air quality (water quality is miraciously good despite being fined by the EPA numerous times for unacceptable level of pollutants in nearby Dick's Creek, some of those due to illegal dumping by AK).
Permanently deflated property values from all this pollution
Zero redevelopment potential.

There's one ugly solution to all this... but look at Hamilton now, 10 years after Champion Paper officially closed up shop. And then look at Middletown....

Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Sure, but what's the cost?

A permanently toxic city
Poor air quality (water quality is miraciously good despite being fined by the EPA numerous times for unacceptable level of pollutants in nearby Dick's Creek, some of those due to illegal dumping by AK).
Permanently deflated property values from all this pollution
Zero redevelopment potential.

There's one ugly solution to all this... but look at Hamilton now, 10 years after Champion Paper officially closed up shop. And then look at Middletown....
We live in the area and go to church in Middletown. Quite a few of our members work at AK Steel and have for many years. AK just opened their new research facility along I-75.

The hospital built a new facility and as the Atrium Medical Center (part of the Premier Network) they provide a much larger variety of medical care than they were able to in their old location. Kettering Health Network recently purchased a property in the same area at the State Route 122 exit of 75.

Downtown redevelopment is beginning with work at the Sorg Opera House underway and redevelopment of other downtown properties in various stages of planning and construction.

While Middletown may not be reviving as fast as some of the surrounding areas, I would not be one to speak gloom and doom of its prospects.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
I absolutely agree, in fact, I believe Middletown is at an inflection point regarding redevelopment. Folks moved back there several years ago and visit often. Downtown Middletown hasn't had this much energy/buzz in decades. Dozens of new businesses have opened. Here's a short news clip about downtown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxu72NbI1c

Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Look at Interbrand Design Forum's office in Washington Township / Centerville right off I-675. They do a lot of retail publications and would possibly have something where you would be a good fit in media and fine arts. Interbrand also has an office in Norwood. The Norwood office (outside Cincinnati) is part of the general Interbrand Group, which IDF is a part of. Interbrand is a retail consultancy with a highly respected publication of the best brands around the world.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 51,819 times
I'm in California but want to move back to Ohio. I saw this wonderful house in a neighborhood of grand old homes. Here on the west coast, it's hard to believe this would be in a bad neighborhood. Am I wrong? Thanks!

603 South Main street

603 S Main St, Middletown, OH 45044 - realtor.com®

Old 08-11-2017, 06:03 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
I'm in California but want to move back to Ohio. I saw this wonderful house in a neighborhood of grand old homes. Here on the west coast, it's hard to believe this would be in a bad neighborhood. Am I wrong? Thanks!

603 South Main street

603 S Main St, Middletown, OH 45044 - realtor.com®
If that house was where I live it would be selling for $300,000+, the problem with Middletown is the kind of people living there, junkies and thugs, most people would be highly reluctant to send their kids to Middletown schools and the city is going broke spending money on narcan.

Despite that I did used to work with a lot of good people that lived in Middletown but they were not happy there.

Middletown councilman: Consider not responding to overdose calls

Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM

389 posts, read 330,570 times
I was told both Middletown and Hamilton have ton's of section 8 housing. Don't know if that is the cause of the problem or if the excess in section 8 is a symptom of local economic problems. By all rights both of those cities should be great places for families -- small cities on the extreme outer edge of larger metro areas. It's baffling they turned out how they did.

I should mention I've not spent time in either place so the above is only my impression based on things I've heard.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I was told both Middletown and Hamilton have ton's of section 8 housing. Don't know if that is the cause of the problem or if the excess in section 8 is a symptom of local economic problems. By all rights both of those cities should be great places for families -- small cities on the extreme outer edge of larger metro areas. It's baffling they turned out how they did.

I should mention I've not spent time in either place so the above is only my impression based on things I've heard.
A book released entitled "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance from Middletown discusses some of the issues the area faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio