Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 14,115 times

Advertisements

Hello, we were considering relocating to southern ohio (Athens area) and purchasing a small farm. We like the idea that a college is nearby for the culture (theater,arts,music,etc.). We've read several threads about the debauchery around Athens as a result of the college (common to most colleges) and were wondering if the claims are a bit exaggerated or if Athens is just not the place to raise a family. All opinions and information would be appreciated. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,909,799 times
Athens is located in a beautiful area.

City of Athens Ohio

Athens is really an area worth looking into.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,550 times
Athens is a very beautiful area, however when school is in it is quite hectic at the least.
We live about 7 miles south of Athens (just moved here this past fall) so I haven't exsperienced life here in the summer yet. I am haveing a little bit of a ruff time because I am a stay at home mom (which I'm not used to) and do not know anyone yet. But am hopeing summer will be better for getting out and getting to know people. If you want the quiet life the areas around Athens are definatly a good bet. Athens itself is pretty roudy while school is in

Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,949 times
I went to college in Athens. Yes, it can get a bit roudy near the campus and uptown area. Make sure you don't buy a house near the student areas. But I think that Athens as a whole is an awesome area. It would be a great place to raise a family. How old are your kids? You may want to do some research on the elementary/middle/high schools first. Also, what line of work are you in? There's not a whole lot going on in that area other than the university. I live in North Carolina now. I've found that Asheville, NC reminds me a lot of Athens. So its a good place to visit down here.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:49 PM

Our kids are in the 9-3 range(We have four), and I'm currently in the building business but I am looking for a change. I'm realistic about the employment situation in Athens and am prepared for what lies ahead. We currently live in New England but we have family in the Cleveland area. We want to be closer to family but we couldn't bear being that close to the big city. Land is too expensive in New England and, as i mentioned, we're looking to buy a small farm. Southern Ohio seems like a logical choice but we don't want to move next to a drug infested cess pool either. I've never been to Athens which is why I'm enquiring about the situation with the college. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Just some of the beauty around Athens, Ohio.

Hocking Hills, Ohio Travel Guide, Hocking Hills & Logan Area Lodging, Dining, Attractions & More

Hocking Hills Ohio Getaway Cabins Rental Travel Guide

Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the information. It really looks beautiful.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,081 times
We've lived in Athens, right in town, for three years. We have four kids and _love_ it here. The kids walk to the library, the swimming pool (on the bike path), the skate park, the playground, and even uptown for the GRID lab (a gaming center sponsored by OU). We've had great experiences with East Elementary, the middle school, and now the high school--they have a fantastic band program (one of the best in the region) and get a lot of extra opportunities because of the university (for example: my daughter is currently learning French in her 3rd grade class, taught by visiting OU students).

University students are university students. Don't live on the infamous Palmer Street, or any other student areas right around campus if you don't like lots of noise, beer pong tournaments, and late-night corn hole games (a popular game involving throwing bean bags at a target).

But there's a vibrant, interesting, artistic, and involved community of families and residents in Athens that are amazing--organic farmer's markets; independent film festivals; numerous festivals uptown with live music, art and food; city-wide celebrations and parades that travel right down our street; people who know each other by name and help each other out.

Our family has thrived. Good luck to you--

Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Thank you for the information. The specifics really help.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael isabell View Post
Thank you for the information. It really looks beautiful.
Glad I could help in someway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio