Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,378,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Maybe it's because Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville, Knoxville, and Nashville all have things that Cleveland has, but are closer, and that if you're going to go that far, you might as well go to Chicago or Atlanta.
Most of those cities don’t have nearly what Cleveland has to offer, with the exception of Chicago. Especially since you noted mostly land-locked cities. So I would suggest you go visit Cleveland. Your missing out on exploring a city with a Great Lake on its door step. Here is a small sampling of things you can do on our great lake that you cannot do it most of the other cities mentioned.

https://www.thisiscleveland.com/blog...lake-erie-life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 05:55 PM

364 posts, read 716,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Maybe it's because Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville, Knoxville, and Nashville all have things that Cleveland has, but are closer, and that if you're going to go that far, you might as well go to Chicago or Atlanta.
Huh, it takes longer to get to most of those cities from Cincinnati that you mentioned, than it does to Cleveland.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Alphabet View Post
Ignorance, stereotypes, and just a lack of curiosity.
Most are looking for warmth in winter. They won't find warmth, of any kind, in Cleveland.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:50 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most are looking for warmth in winter. They won't find warmth, of any kind, in Cleveland.
Not true. A lot of Cincy folks dis Cleveland no matter what the season is. Plus, some of those cities that the poster mentioned like Chicago and Pittsburgh gets similar weather like Cleveland.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,816 times
I've been to Cleveland many times. I was just answering a question about why people from Cincinnati wouldn't visit Cleveland. Most people aren't that nautically oriented, so being on a great lake isn't that big of a deal for them. To answer the original post I guess I'd say Dayton: 2-3 times a week, Cincinnati: at least once every other month, Columbus: I used to live there, and am probably there at least four times a year, Toledo: twice a year, Akron: probably once every three years, and Cleveland: at least once every other year, now that I no longer have family that lives near there.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,027,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Not true. A lot of Cincy folks dis Cleveland no matter what the season is...
Correction: "A few Cincy forum members dis Cleveland no matter what the season is." (BIG difference)

Old 07-03-2019, 08:27 AM

681 posts, read 2,360,791 times
I'm in the Cleveland area and never venture to Cincinnati as a destination, and have only visited Columbus a handful of times. No, it's not for ignorance, stereotypes, or lack of curiosity.

My life has enough travel that takes me to other places, mainly D.C./Virginia area for work, with Pittsburgh, SOCAL and SC for family visits and vacations. When I have free time, my interests are aligned with doing things in shorter time bursts. I like reading, woodwork, spending time with my family, cooking, dining out and shopping, and my animals. In this my husband shares similar interests. We don't have an interest in concerts or sports, such special events that would draw us to Cincy or Columbus.

I'm trying to say that when it comes to traveling more than 2 hours to a city, that destination is going to have to offer me something of value that will make the time and drive worthwhile. Columbus is close enough that we have done a few jaunts for the day, but Cincinnati does require an overnight stay, and there isn't enough there that aligns with our interests to compel us to invest that much of our free time, plus spend the money on pet sitters and a hotel. It's not that Cincinnati is inferior. It simply does not meet enough of our interests to make it an additional destination, when we have enough destinations in our lives.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Most of those cities don’t have nearly what Cleveland has to offer, with the exception of Chicago. Especially since you noted mostly land-locked cities. So I would suggest you go visit Cleveland. Your missing out on exploring a city with a Great Lake on its door step. Here is a small sampling of things you can do on our great lake that you cannot do it most of the other cities mentioned.

https://www.thisiscleveland.com/blog...lake-erie-life
So once again we're left with the claim that Cleveland is one of the most amazing cities in the country... and apparently does perhaps the worst job ever in promoting itself? Even to its own residents that leave year after year? There's certainly a wide disconnect between what people say on this forum about Cleveland and what people actually do in terms of living there. Why is that?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So once again we're left with the claim that Cleveland is one of the most amazing cities in the country... and apparently does perhaps the worst job ever in promoting itself? Even to its own residents that leave year after year? There's certainly a wide disconnect between what people say on this forum about Cleveland and what people actually do in terms of living there. Why is that?
is there a point to this ice cold take? was saying this 1000 times not enough?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,378,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That’s not what I was saying at all. I was referring to the cities mentioned. I don’t think I miss lead anyone with my post. However since you chimed in. Cleveland is booming downtown and it’s catching on in other parts of the city. And our downtown is growing faster than most cities in the country, especially Columbus which lags behind the other C’s in Ohio in Downtown population and vibrancy. Not to mention the high-rise apartment towers going up in Cleveland. Check out urban Ohio and you can see for yourself. And in my opinion. Realistically there may be only nine cities in America that have more to offer than Cleveland. I surely don’t want to start a pissing match with you again so I’ll leave it right there. I’ve got to run, cookouts and fun for the Fourth of July weekend up here in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio