Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 10:07 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

It's interesting alright. That is, if you find absolute horses**t interesting. This is the kind of crap you get when low information people watch too many crappy sci-fi movies. The script of Armageddon creates a more plausible scenario than this absolute whiff. 5G is composed of a band of ultra low energy, non-ionizing EMR. It's energy form is no different than the same radio waves that have been in use for more than a century. Its frequency is nearly 10 million times less cyclic than the lowest form of ionizing radiation (X-rays). It's not even all that revolutionary, just more than a bit faster than the same GSM based tech you've been using for he past 20 years. There is absolutely nothing more diabolical about it than the FM radio in your car.

PS - This is not "free speech" unless its meant to be the fiction that it is. If it's being used to incite violence or seditious behavior, it would not be protected because it is absolutely, 100% false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 03:08 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Medical catastrophe engulfing Ohio medical system

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine's belated and insufficient actions to combat Ohio's COVID-19 surge may have doomed Ohio to a medical catastrophe, based on the comments of Ohio hospital system leaders at DeWine's Monday COVID-19 press conference.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ly-covid-cases

Despite the Trump administration claims of adequate ventilator supplies, Ohio already has spot shortages of ventilators.

<<Hospital systems in multiple zones across the state are now, for the first time, transferring ventilators among themselves. >>

Infection rates and quarantines resulting from exposure are adding extra burdens on already tapped out medical staffs.

<<Medical personnel across the state are contracting the coronavirus at high rates, depleting staffs further. That's on top of the extraordinary burnout that hospital workers are experiencing after months of treating Covid patients....

The personnel situation is so strained, doctors said, that the major hospital systems probably won't be able to stand up the satellite field hospitals envisioned early in the pandemic because they simply don't have the staff to work them....

When asked if he would consider stricter measures to curb the spread of Covid-19, DeWine said that "it all comes down to personal responsibility."

"We've got to give the people in Ohio time to turn this around," he said.>>

Here's a different report of DeWine's Monday press conference focusing on northeast Ohio.

<<The main point of the afternoon conference came when several medical professionals from hospitals around the state briefed the Governor on the current state of the medical field. Cleveland Clinic Doctor Robert Wyllie provided Governor DeWine with the latest info about hospital staff being overwhelmed in Northeast Ohio.

"All of us are starting to be stretched," said Dr. Wyllie while discussing a call he took with leaders of several other Northeast Ohio hospitals, including MetroHealth, University Hospitals, and Summa Health. "We are trying to balance load as best we can, we're transferring within the system-- whether that's in Cleveland, whether that's the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, or Metro... but now we're starting to transfer between systems to balance load as well."

Dr. Wyllie also said that within the Cleveland Clinic system, alone, almost 1,000 staff members are currently unable to come to work due to infection or exposure to the Coronavirus, and it will soon affect how they are able to run their hospitals.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/he...9-abe88354bfce

<<Hospital officials sent an urgent warning to Ohioans today as hospitalizations have jumped by more than seven times in two months....

Wyllie said the state will likely see any cases that require hospitalization stemming from Thanksgiving gatherings to show up in about two weeks.

In Central Ohio, hospitalizations have more than doubled in just three weeks, sitting now just under 1,000 hospitalizations, according to Dr. Andy Thomas from Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center.

Thomas said every hospital system in the state is going to have to make tough decisions when it comes to staffing and elective surgeries.>>

https://www.whio.com/news/local/gov-...A35W6QLVNJBQ4/

Old 11-26-2020, 01:26 AM

Default Ohio to pay price for DeWine's cave-in to Ohio Republicans on masks, social distancing

The question now may be whether Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is adequately marshalling the resources needed to deal with the surge that he created with his months of insufficient action to combat the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

The University of Washington's highly respected Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) projects significant shortages of ICU units in Ohio.

The IHME projects Ohio demand for 3,000 COVID-19 ICU units by early January, with less than 1,500 ICU units available in Ohio for COVID-19 patients after accounting for normal ICU demand.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...ource=icu_beds

The IHME anticipates Ohio COVID-19 ventilator demand at almost 1,400 by early January, but the IHME currently has no statistic for available ventilators for COVID-19 patients, net of normal demand, in Ohio. As noted in post 92, Ohio medical institutions already report localized shortages of ventilators necessitating sharing among hospitals. A major issue is whether Ohio has sufficient personnel to meet the specialized and extensive labor demands created by large numbers of intubated patients.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...ve_ventilators

With both the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals systems, Greater Cleveland likely is much better positioned than other areas of the state. Both of these systems have resources far beyond local demand as they attract patients nationally and internationally in non-epidemic conditions.

The real question in Ohio and nationally is whether front-line medical workers can tackle the task ahead without triage and other steps to ration and prioritize limited resources among all patients, both COVID and non-COVID. With the epidemic surging throughout the nation, it's not clear whether national resources (military) and resources from other states will be available to assist Ohio in providing adequate front line medical personnel.

What is certain that front line medical personnel in Ohio will experience a holiday season from hell, and now is not a good time to need emergency medical care in Ohio.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:05 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Yes this winter is going to be rough, but I’m hopeful we’ll get through it especially with a vaccine (or two) on the horizon and the state finally getting serious on mask enforcement. It also helps we'll have a federal government in January who actually believe in science and are interested in ending the pandemic, not just its effects on the economy.
I also want people to still seek emergency care and not be scared to come to the hospital when they need it. Yes we’re overwhelmed but it’s better to receive less-than-ideal care in a hospital with eyes on you than at home where you could decline and not be able to receive the necessary help in time.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:50 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
IHME's projections have been terrible, consistently way off (in either direction) since the pandemic began. Still, they're faithfully cited by the major media outlets for some reason. IHME is funded by the Gates Foundation. I'm not saying that's the reason they've become the media's favored forecast model despite consistently poor performance, but I think it's an interesting coincidence.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
IHME's projections have been terrible, consistently way off (in either direction) since the pandemic began. Still, they're faithfully cited by the major media outlets for some reason. IHME is funded by the Gates Foundation. I'm not saying that's the reason they've become the media's favored forecast model despite consistently poor performance, but I think it's an interesting coincidence.

Poor performance compared to what??? Donald Trump? Mike Pence? Why hasn't the virus yet just gone away? Why are there still long lines for tests? Why is a ventilator shortage developing in Ohio?

I do wish the IHME provided a history of its projections. For Ohio, my memory is that they've greatly understated the death toll, and with exceptions, understatements have been the norm. Here's the rub:

<<“Our estimated trajectory of COVID-19 deaths assumes continued and uninterrupted vigilance by the general public, hospital and health workers, and government agencies,” IHME director Dr. Christopher Murray said in March about the pandemic.>>

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-ihme-fatalities-projections/507-9399ddb7-81c7-4214-981a-5febed74e4ac

What data scientists could have guessed that a "Big Lie" President and VP would be successful in convincing a large percentage of the population that we were dealing with a flu-like virus that would just go away? Who would have guessed that COVID-19 deniers would heed the President's wishes to "liberate" states from social distancing and mask-wearing guidelines? Who would guess that Ohio's Republican legislators would combat their own Republican governor's already inadequate efforts to prevent a medical system catastrophe in Ohio???

Old 11-26-2020, 08:28 PM

Several decent alternatives to IHME listed here by Youyang Gu (whose forecasts, when he was updating them earlier in the year, were actually accurate): https://youyanggu.com/blog/six-months-later

And then more about how the various models have performed there: https://covid19-projections.com/abou...al-performance

IHME was the model that said, when the pandemic was starting to get into full swing in late March, that we would only have 81K deaths. Even I, a stupid Trump supporter, knew this was a ridiculous lowball at the time. I posted about it in the Current Events forum here and said so.

Sorry I don't know why the virus hasn't gone away.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Several decent alternatives to IHME listed here by Youyang Gu (whose forecasts, when he was updating them earlier in the year, were actually accurate): https://youyanggu.com/blog/six-months-later

And then more about how the various models have performed there: https://covid19-projections.com/abou...al-performance

IHME was the model that said, when the pandemic was starting to get into full swing in late March, that we would only have 81K deaths. Even I, a stupid Trump supporter, knew this was a ridiculous lowball at the time. I posted about it in the Current Events forum here and said so.

Sorry I don't know why the virus hasn't gone away.

Surely you remember that Trump, Pence, Kudlow and other members of the Trump administration said in late March that the epidemic was under control. They predicted millions of tests throughout March that NEVER materialized until several weeks later, too late to halt community spread in its infancy, as was done in other nations such as South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand. For months (and to this day) testing was extremely inadequate in Ohio. The response of the DeWine administration was to deemphasize testing and testing statistics in Ohio. DeWine never once criticized the inadequacy of the Trump administration's federal response. DeWine, Ohio Democrats, and Ohio media to this day have never discussed how much of a debacle we've experienced in Ohio and the U.S. compared to other nations, such as Australia (run by a very conservative leadership) or, to a lesser extent, Canada.

I said in post 96 that IHME projections understated the eventual deaths attributed to COVID-19. As I also explained, IHME like other health analysts had to be dismayed about the Republican effort to create an anti-mask, anti-social distancing culture, and to misrepresent the pernicious nature of the COVID-19 virus. DeWine consistently has accommodated his epidemic response to Ohio's Republican leadership and the Trump-influenced Republican base.

If you have a better projection website, please post a link to the specific projections. I refuse to do your research for you.

What disgusts me is that your post seeks to discredit IHME, apparently for the purpose of arguing that we shouldn't rely on the IHME projections or worry about the IHME's projection of the great burden that the current surge will place on Ohio's medical infrastructure. So, are you arguing that the surge won't be as debilitating as suggested by the IHME projections, DESPITE the warnings by Ohio medical leadership reported in post 92?

If you're a Trump supporter, you surely must know that he has repeatedly said that the COVID-19 virus would just go away.

<<In his first speech after his hospitalization for Covid-19, President Donald Trump stood on a White House balcony on October 10 and made a grand declaration about the coronavirus: “It’s going to disappear. It is disappearing.

His words might have sounded more dramatic had he not been saying the same thing for eight months.

Trump has stuck to the refrain no matter what has been happening with the pandemic. Since February, the President has declared at least 38 times that Covid-19 is either going to disappear or is currently disappearing.>>

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...mment-tracker/

If you are concerned about the accuracy of projections, how can you support Trump and most Republicans who have never treated the COVID-19 with the seriousness warranted??? Instead, the Republicans have practiced, if not enabled the Trump administration's "Big Lie" propaganda to destructively influence the public response to the epidemic.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Surely you remember that Trump, Pence, Kudlow and other members of the Trump administration said in late March that the epidemic was under control. They predicted millions of tests throughout March that NEVER materialized until several weeks later, too late to halt community spread in its infancy, as was done in other nations such as South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand. For months (and to this day) testing was extremely inadequate in Ohio. The response of the DeWine administration was to deemphasize testing and testing statistics in Ohio. DeWine never once criticized the inadequacy of the Trump administration's federal response. DeWine, Ohio Democrats, and Ohio media to this day have never discussed how much of a debacle we've experienced in Ohio and the U.S. compared to other nations, such as Australia (run by a very conservative leadership) or, to a lesser extent, Canada.

I said in post 96 that IHME projections understated the eventual deaths attributed to COVID-19. As I also explained, IHME like other health analysts had to be dismayed about the Republican effort to create an anti-mask, anti-social distancing culture, and to misrepresent the pernicious nature of the COVID-19 virus. DeWine consistently has accommodated his epidemic response to Ohio's Republican leadership and the Trump-influenced Republican base.

If you have a better projection website, please post a link to the specific projections. I refuse to do your research for you.

What disgusts me is that your post seeks to discredit IHME, apparently for the purpose of arguing that we shouldn't rely on the IHME projections or worry about the IHME's projection of the great burden that the current surge will place on Ohio's medical infrastructure.
So, are you arguing that the surge won't be as debilitating as suggested by the IHME projections, DESPITE the warnings by Ohio medical leadership reported in post 92?

If you're a Trump supporter, you surely must know that he has repeatedly said that the COVID-19 virus would just go away.

<<In his first speech after his hospitalization for Covid-19, President Donald Trump stood on a White House balcony on October 10 and made a grand declaration about the coronavirus: “It’s going to disappear. It is disappearing.

His words might have sounded more dramatic had he not been saying the same thing for eight months.

Trump has stuck to the refrain no matter what has been happening with the pandemic. Since February, the President has declared at least 38 times that Covid-19 is either going to disappear or is currently disappearing.>>

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...mment-tracker/

If you are concerned about the accuracy of projections, how can you support Trump and most Republicans who have never treated the COVID-19 with the seriousness warranted??? Instead, the Republicans have practiced, if not enabled the Trump administration's "Big Lie" propaganda to destructively influence the public response to the epidemic.
I did, and instead of saying thanks, you came back with hundreds of words of TDS vomit.

I don't need to discredit IHME; they've done that themselves with their predictions. I'm just pointing it out.

I support Trump (the first Republican I've ever voted for, outside of judges) because of Chicken Littles like you, where everything is a critical emergency and the solution always happens to be, "give more power to Democrats." If you even pretended that partisan politics weren't your core motivation, I think you would have a more receptive audience.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I did, and instead of saying thanks, you came back with hundreds of words of TDS vomit.

You did not. Pick just one CURRENT COVID-19 projection source that offers projections for Ohio and which you consider superior to IHME and provide a link.

TDS vomit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_...ement_syndrome

Nothing that has happened to the U.S. in the 21st century is more disastrous than the damage inflicted on our nation by the incompetency and "Big Lie" propaganda that has engulfed the Republican Party under the leadership of Donald Trump. IMO, the disastrous handling of the COVID-19 epidemic isn't even the worst Trump legacy, as over the next two decades we'll suffer immensely from the onslaught of climate change.

What perplexes me is the emergence of the TWC (Trump worship cult) which seems impossibly tolerant of Trump's falsehoods. Are these Americans ignorant of the certainty that purveyors of "Big Lies" divorce themselves and their followers from reality, with disastrous consequences. When Trump claims that his administration deserves an "A+" for its handling of the COVID-19 epidemic, do you actually believe him???

<< President Donald Trump said on Monday that he and his administration have done a “phenomenal job” and deserve an “A+” for their handling of the coronavirus pandemic, despite the fact that nearly 200,000 Americans have died from the virus, the most deaths of any country.>>

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...h=4968a56b3386

You've refused to acknowledge that Trump has persisted, in a display of extraordinary inaccuracy and either immense deceit or inexplicable ignorance, in arguing that the COVID-19 would just go away and was no different than the flu. Thanks to Bob Woodward, and Trump's amazing willingness to admit his own disingenuousness, we know that Trump was advised as to the great threat posed by the COVID-19 epidemic, so ignorance is not an excuse.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gh/3494750001/

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine has refused to demand that the Trump administration adopt the measures needed to contain the epidemic. Instead, he has bowed to Ohio Republican legislators and the TWC and refused to implement adequate measures needed to suppress the epidemic in Ohio, including a timely and enforced universal mask mandate. He, like Republican U.S. Senators who have refused to provide effective oversight of the Trump epidemic response, are enablers of Trump's costly deception and leadership failure.

Quote:
I don't need to discredit IHME; they've done that themselves with their predictions. I'm just pointing it out.

I don't know if IHME provides the best projections of COVID-19 deaths. What I do know is that they provide projections for Ohio. I've followed these projections since April, and they've always understated eventual Ohio COVID-19 deaths.

Again, please provide (as I have done with the IHME) a link to Ohio projections if you have a preferred alternative source of Ohio COVID-19 projections.

There are about 20 providers of COVID-19 projections in the U.S. IHME is the most prominent.l

As you've proven with your posts on this topic, your goal in attacking IHME apparently is not to provide a better source of COVID-19 Ohio projections, but to delegitimize any projection of the horrifying consequences of the current COVID-19 surge on Ohio.

See again the warnings of Ohio medical leaders in post 92. Why are you indifferent to their message which is only quantified by the IHME Ohio projections???

Quote:
I support Trump (the first Republican I've ever voted for, outside of judges) because of Chicken Littles like you, where everything is a critical emergency and the solution always happens to be, "give more power to Democrats." If you even pretended that partisan politics weren't your core motivation, I think you would have a more receptive audience.

Partisan politics? Read my earliest posts in this thread, such as post 14, in which I was supportive of DeWine and defended his initially principled and competent approach to the epidemic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...19-ohio-2.html

Chicken Little? Are you kidding me?

Please read this story, and listen to the video. TWC members, like their leader, express little concern about Cleveland Clinic nurse Kate Thompson and her fellow front line workers, let alone the millions facing food and housing insecurity, persistent and perhaps permanent health deficiencies, and the great impairment of education for our youth.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/11/...ey-with-virus/

One of my greatest concerns, and even that of Gov. DeWine, is the immense and perhaps unsustainable burden that the COVID-19 has placed on front line health workers, let alone mounting hunger and housing insecurity, lasting if not permanent health deficiencies in the wake of the COVID-19 epidemic, or the educational deficiencies inflicted on our nation's youth.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...id-relief-bill

See posts 212 and 214 in this thread for a discussion of the health consequences of a COVID-19 infection, even if the symptoms are mild or the infected individual is asymptomatic. Note especially the last paragraph of post 214 which details the pathetic epidemic response in the U.S. as compared to nations like Australia, run by a conservative but epidemically competent leadership.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...ns-die-22.html

This is reality. Donald Trump since the election has expressed little concern about the immense pain being suffered across the nation, and, as evidenced in this thread, his TWC enablers similarly express callous indifference to the consequences of the epidemic and the surge.

In typical fashion, Trump ignored the warnings of all infection experts, and actually encouraged the Thanksgiving gatherings that are expected to result in an even more significant post-Thanksgiving COVID-19 surge.

<<Still, the president’s message encouraged gatherings, which health experts warn could accelerate the virus’s spread.>>

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-holiday-eve

While Trump was consumed with denying election results (and in the process undermining American democracy) and touting a new Dow stock market high, Trump expressed little if any concern about the disastrous impact of the COVID-19 surge on Americans.

Are you really unaware of the immense damage inflicted on northeast Ohio by the COVID-19 epidemic? Apart from the operational and financial distress inflicted on our medical institutions, school systems and universities, and out economy, the devastation on families and individuals is distressing.

Chicken Littles? Only in the minds of delusional TWC adherents somehow blinded to reality.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-29-2020 at 03:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio