Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 106,641 times

Advertisements

I am looking for somewhere to move. I live in the UP of Michigan and have considered many states, but never have settled on a place yet. I have heard that Wilmington, Ohio is nice. Nicely located near big cities, but is not one itself. Is it safe? I think, if I remember correctly, it is a small town, which would be nice since I am from a small town. Is there work in the town or nearby that one would be able to support themselves on (I have office experience)? Are apartments affordable? Is the weather good (not a lot of risk of severe weather such as tornados, not a lot of snow)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Less snow than the U.P. - that's for sure!!!

Don't know too much about the economics of Wilmington - we partner with a pharmaceutical company (smaller) that is located there, so there are probably at least some office opportunities. It is kind of centrall located between Dayton (W), Cinci (S) and Columbus (NE). A little far from downtown Cinci certainly -but from the 'burbs - maybe 1/2 hour to 45 minutes? (Depending upon the 'burb!)

Pretty small from my coworkers who live there.. definitely a lot of rural areas near by.

Good luck with the move .. My husband is from St. Ignace orginally, though up until last year he and I were both trolls..

Now we're living 20 miles S. of Wilmington in a town called Lebanon.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 AM

21 posts, read 106,641 times
Thanks for your response. I am not sure where to move, but it is on my possible list. I can't believe how many from the UP or those who have lived here that I have found on this board...though most of them have moved and I can understand why. How do you like Lebanon? What is it like there?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Well we're closing on our house there in 2 days! We're renting in Monroe right now (about 10 miles to the West of Lebanon).

Lebanon is a small town, historic (about 1817) - probably with farming roots, though I am not sure about that. Has a cute old downtown, a lot of that is given to antique stores right now (to get the tourists in) with some modern amenities - their own cable network, a brand new SuperWalmart, a newer Krogers, etc...

We liked it because of the amount of land we could get and still be in a subdivision.

Also - it is just North (about 12 miles) of Mason - which is super-suburbia. Target and every other big-box store you can think of. If you need it, you'll probably find it there.

Plus Kings Island (amusement park) is located in Mason, along with other recreation attractions.

The area around lebanon (as most of this part of Ohio is) is rolling hills, with some little streams, and deer jumping out of the trees (most of the hills that were'nt farmed are covered in trees). In that respect my husband says it reminds him of the UP quite a bit.

The people here are pretty friendly, consider themselves "Southern" and it has a fairly rural feel to it. Tractors going down the highway.

I havne't stopped in Wilmington - just driven by on the highway - but I think it is a smaller, slighly more rural town as well.

Good luck with your search. The UP is beautiful, but I'm sure you'll find areas just as pretty, just in different ways!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
If you search the Ohio threads it will come up again in an earlier set of posts. It is a county seat, about 12,000, and has a small college--Wilmington College--there. There is a vocational school there, a high school, a small shopping center, a hospital, and not a lot else. I grew up there and expect you might end up driving to work. It is a very nice place if you wanted peace and quiet or to raise kids with the 4-H type of lifestyle. Most of the people there are not at pretentious--sort of a potluck and scouting type of community. To me it is the best sort of lifestyle and a dwindling one for the U.S. You are an hour or two from Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus, and a couple or a few hours from many other places. Dayton is probably the closest airport.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Wilmington is a very nice town actually, and headquarters to R+L Carriers, a large trucking company that has been growing yearly and moving westward every year. It really is doing well as is the town. The economy of the town is growing and getting more diverse too.

Wilmington Ohio Clinton County USA

Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 34,138 times
Husband and I live in Wilmington. In the suburbs.
We have been around this area all our lives and both of us have always desired to move away.
Economic problem is world wide, but No I would Not recommend living here. Job oppertunities are limited. Rental properites are outrageously high.
You truly are Not missing one thing and you may want to seriously reconsider this one. God bless you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio