Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:34 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,511,400 times

Advertisements

While much of the Republican Party leadership ridiculously maintains that President Trump still has some chance of winning the Presidential election, Ohio Gov. DeWine now says Biden is the President-elect. My hunch is that DeWine wants nothing to do with a delayed Presidential transition that will impair or delay the Biden administration's anticipated robust national policy response to the COVID-19 epidemic. DeWine, unlike Trump administration and Congressional Republicans, must deal with an epidemic surge that threatens Ohio hospital capacity and which may necessitate DeWine's implementation of lock-down measures within a week.

<<“We need to consider the former vice president as the president-elect," DeWine told CNN Thursday morning. "Joe Biden is the president-elect.”>>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gs/6262023002/

<<With the number of COVID-19 cases in Ohio continuing to reach record levels, Gov. Mike DeWine has let it be known that he is prepared to take drastic measures to stop the spread of the virus.

During a statewide address on Wednesday evening, DeWine stated that if the number of coronavirus cases does not decrease, he will be forced to close Ohio's restaurants, bars, and fitness centers.>>

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/he...4-0d757d5a8d26

<<As of Wednesday, the state has more than 3,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. DeWine said there are more than 700 COVID-19 patients in ICU units across the state.>>

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ess-11-11-2020

Ohio COVID-19 hospitalizations are up over 50 percent since the start of November and up 200 percent from a month ago, as DeWine noted yesterday.

https://covidtracking.com/data/state...ospitalization

Given the national epidemic surge, Ohio, unlike New York City in the spring, can not anticipate help from medical personnel from other states. We likely are on our own, with a current national administration that now seems little interested in the epidemic compared to torpedoing a civil and efficient transition of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,649,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
While much of the Republican Party leadership ridiculously maintains that President Trump still has some chance of winning the Presidential election, Ohio Gov. DeWine now says Biden is the President-elect. My hunch is that DeWine wants nothing to do with a delayed Presidential transition that will impair or delay the Biden administration's anticipated robust national policy response to the COVID-19 epidemic. DeWine, unlike Trump administration and Congressional Republicans, must deal with an epidemic surge that threatens Ohio hospital capacity and which may necessitate DeWine's implementation of lock-down measures within a week.

<<“We need to consider the former vice president as the president-elect," DeWine told CNN Thursday morning. "Joe Biden is the president-elect.”>>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gs/6262023002/

<<With the number of COVID-19 cases in Ohio continuing to reach record levels, Gov. Mike DeWine has let it be known that he is prepared to take drastic measures to stop the spread of the virus.

During a statewide address on Wednesday evening, DeWine stated that if the number of coronavirus cases does not decrease, he will be forced to close Ohio's restaurants, bars, and fitness centers.>>

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/he...4-0d757d5a8d26

<<As of Wednesday, the state has more than 3,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. DeWine said there are more than 700 COVID-19 patients in ICU units across the state.>>

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ess-11-11-2020

Ohio COVID-19 hospitalizations are up over 50 percent since the start of November and up 200 percent from a month ago, as DeWine noted yesterday.

https://covidtracking.com/data/state...ospitalization

Given the national epidemic surge, Ohio, unlike New York City in the spring, can not anticipate help from medical personnel from other states. We likely are on our own, with a current national administration that now seems little interested in the epidemic compared to torpedoing a civil and efficient transition of power.

That would be because Gov. DeWine is a fair and normal individual. While I did not vote for him, I appreciate his leadership during these uncertain times.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,198,445 times
I can't say I give him all that much credit for stating the obvious, but at least he's decided to be the typical, whining baby that seems so prevalent in politics these days on both sides of the aisle. You lost. Take it like a bright orange man and move on.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I can't say I give him all that much credit for stating the obvious, but at least he's decided to be the typical, whining baby that seems so prevalent in politics these days on both sides of the aisle. You lost. Take it like a bright orange man and move on.
yeah well, the bar has been set REALLY LOW...so...we are at the point where "at least he's not stark raving mad" gives someone creds.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:40 PM

14,737 posts, read 14,727,714 times
He’s still a Reaganeque Republican, while 90% of the party still in office is fully Tea Party Trumper (or at least pretending, for political survival).

Old 11-15-2020, 05:44 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,221,573 times
"Hurray for the Rabbit, Hurray"

Old 11-18-2020, 08:13 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,418,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
yeah well, the bar has been set REALLY LOW...so...we are at the point where "at least he's not stark raving mad" gives someone creds.
I think it’s time every American citizen also tries to understand how we ended up lowering the bar for prudent leadership to such levels, so that we don’t repeat such mistakes again.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,198,445 times
^ Ha! Good luck with that one.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I think it’s time every American citizen also tries to understand how we ended up lowering the bar for prudent leadership to such levels, so that we don’t repeat such mistakes again.
I could not agree more.

I don't think the Trump phenomenon is both larger and smaller than either party. There is a certain class of people, mostly centered in the Southern states, but sprinkled all over the US - who have basically been angry since the 1960s.

They are typified by the "Archie Bunker" in the sitcom "All in The Family", if anyone remembers that show.
The problem is, they have gotten angrier and crazier over the years.

By my calculations, these non-college educated whites makeup about 30% of the US, but have way too much to say.

The only thing that will raise "the bar" is when the Republican party stops catering to these people.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:28 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,511,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I could not agree more.

I don't think the Trump phenomenon is both larger and smaller than either party. There is a certain class of people, mostly centered in the Southern states, but sprinkled all over the US - who have basically been angry since the 1960s.

They are typified by the "Archie Bunker" in the sitcom "All in The Family", if anyone remembers that show.
The problem is, they have gotten angrier and crazier over the years.

By my calculations, these non-college educated whites makeup about 30% of the US, but have way too much to say.

The only thing that will raise "the bar" is when the Republican party stops catering to these people.
Actually, these persons, many of whom live in northeastern Ohio, have very legitimate concerns. I don't believe either party offers the tough, but available solutions needed. However, the Trump "Big Lie" propaganda at least identifies the issues and pretends to offer solutions. E.g., Trump claims that China paid the tariffs that he implemented and that manufacturing jobs are being shifted to the U.S. The tariff claim is definitely false, as American consumers paid the tariffs. I haven't researched the manufacturing job claim, but I'm highly skeptical. Almost every non-food product that I examine today is made in China or some other country. If "manufactured" in the U.S., the good likely is only assembled out of foreign-made parts.

What positively frightens me is the vulnerability of America to "Big Lie" propaganda, largly due to a massive decline in objective journalism, and the rise in "corporate" media (Fox) and social media that often propagate the Big Lies being pedaled.

E.g., consider climate change. It's barely covered by the non-coastal or broadcast media, as evidenced by the pitiful coverage of the existential issue in Greater Cleveland. It's no wonder that Trump and the Republicans actually gain support with their climate change "hoax" claims, or if acknowledging the reality, claiming we should do nothing about it. It will be interesting to see the reaction as reality imposes itself with each passing year. A friend in Colorado who is very politically astute tells me that climate change (think droughts, wildfires) has been a significant factor in changing that state blue.

Sadly, the disingenuous politicians that characterize the Republican Party today, and I'm not a fan either of Democratic Party politicians for different reasons, likely have and will do irreparable damage to the nation. I'm shocked by the general Republican support for, or at least silence about, the outrageous effort of Trump to undermine fraudulently our nation's electoral process and even dangerously delay the Presidential transition process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: