Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What is the difference between NJ and Ohio (i.e. jobs, people, economy, quality of life)?
First off, you can actually *breath* the air out here.

Second of all, NJ is essentially a suburb of Philly/NYC; NJ is VERY heavily-restricted economically. Far as I'm concerned, the mafia pretty much runs it. You're not allowed to pump your own gas, you really don't have as many options for shopping as you do out here; stores were (up to recently) 24/7 out here in Ohio. Save for a few small CVS stores in NJ, you would never get that there. They open at 6-8 AM, close at 10-11, and that's it.

The mindset of NJ, from my experience, is a combination of the movie Wall Street, and a left-leaning political ideology...but unfortunately, taken to pretentious levels, similar to what you'd get from movie directors Tarantino and Kevin Smith. Basically, the "plastic" existence is lionized out in those parts. Everything is based on platitudes. The Rat Race is in full effect out there, and you're given very little wiggle room to question it whatsoever. They offer very little space for an individualistic mentality.

Also, if you're gonna do any traveling for vacation, you "better" make sure it's to Florida, NY, California, or one of the tropics; the "acceptable" vacation locations. It's all about social status and currency, and your "connections" in those parts. You can't afford to live without it...it's just that expensive.

Am I saying Ohio is perfect in that regard? Of course not....but what I do notice out here is that--again--due to the "battleground" nature of the state, no philosophy of that kind is really "dominant", which gives far more wiggle room, and makes most of the people you interact with more pleasant in general to do so with, and you may enjoy talking with them more. Out in NJ, they "have" to tell you their political opinions and whatnot. That isn't the case out here, because again...said mentality isn't dominating in these parts; there's enough pushback that people can still be decent and respectful to each other.

I heard several years back that NJ was ranked 48 on the list of the rankings of all 50 states in terms of economic freedom; I heard Ohio was only at 44, but I also realize the closer to #1 you get on that list, the less people that inhabit the state in general, and chances are there aren't many options to do much of anything at all for stretches and stretches on end.

Have I answered your question successfully, or is there more you'd like me to elaborate on?

One other thing I can tell you:

the first apartment I remember my parents and I living in, in NJ, we paid $500/month. Keep in mind that was nearly 40 years ago. Today that place is $2500/month.

I have an even bigger 2-bedroom in downtown Sandusky, OH, and I pay $600/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 01:23 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
I was born and raised in Ohio but left after the riots and KSU shootings, but a piece of my soul is always there in the farmlands and good neighborhoods. Maybe someday...
I hope you know what a treasure you have in Jim Joardan and how he makes me so very homesick for good Ohio folks.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I was born and raised in Ohio but left after the riots and KSU shootings, but a piece of my soul is always there in the farmlands and good neighborhoods. Maybe someday...
I hope you know what a treasure you have in Jim Joardan and how he makes me so very homesick for good Ohio folks.
Jim Jordan? You mean the gerrymandered Congressman who defends the perpetrators of the Jan. 6 insurrection, and champions the Big Lie effort to subvert American democracy and COVID transmission? If so, he's a wart, not a treasure IMO.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:03 PM

219 posts, read 448,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I grew up in Ohio.. Moved in 2005, just came back in January after having lived in VA, TX, SC, and CA.

We love it here (for the most part). Your money goes so much further here. We were paying 2000 to rent barely 1000sq feet in CA in a not great neighborhood.. Now our mortgage is like 625 a month for twice the space.

We live in a suburb of Youngstown, there is a TON to do within an hour or so.

Prices are lower for going out and entertainment and such.

We definitely miss the weather of some of those other places, but, its been pretty nice here so far.

We're relocating from AZ back to either PA or Ohio and Austintown and Brookfield are among the places we're considering in Ohio. Property taxes are definitely lower in Ohio than PA, so that's a major factor since we're senior's. We have a friend that lives in Jefferson, Ohio and he says snow is much less in Brookfield area then where he lives. Glad to hear that because we used to live in the snowbelt in PA (Meadville). We, too, have lived in many places and you can't beat the weather here in AZ, but there's other factors to consider for us so we'll decided on either Ohio or PA.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I have lived in Ohio twice, from 1977 to 1980 in Cleveland and from 1992 to 2006 in Columbus.

It was a great experience, and I miss it quite a bit. It was a great place to raise kids, and there were a ton of things to do in and around both areas.

I grew up in Philadelphia, and have lived in California since 2006. But my favorite state is Ohio.

Cost of living is moderate there, but taxes can be a bit higher than expected due to a lot of city taxes that you don't read about in the cost comparison sites. Also, depending where you live, property taxes can be pretty high too.

But the cleanliness, schools, friendliness and public facilities (such as libraries and rec centers) were just absolutely top notch.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Jim Jordan? You mean the gerrymandered Congressman who defends the perpetrators of the Jan. 6 insurrection, and champions the Big Lie effort to subvert American democracy and COVID transmission? If so, he's a wart, not a treasure IMO.
I think you mean Gym Jordan.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
We're relocating from AZ back to either PA or Ohio and Austintown and Brookfield are among the places we're considering in Ohio. Property taxes are definitely lower in Ohio than PA, so that's a major factor since we're senior's. We have a friend that lives in Jefferson, Ohio and he says snow is much less in Brookfield area then where he lives. Glad to hear that because we used to live in the snowbelt in PA (Meadville). We, too, have lived in many places and you can't beat the weather here in AZ, but there's other factors to consider for us so we'll decided on either Ohio or PA.
Retired from California to Boardman. It's also very nice with everything you need close by. Southwoods has a wonderful medical complex, as well.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:30 PM

107 posts, read 118,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I think you mean Gym Jordan.
I'll be surprised if you guys get very far in this thread by slandering, smearing, denigrating,
or whatever it is called to be doing what you are doing to one of Ohio's most universally
revered and, might I even say it, most loved political figures to come along for Ohioans in
a long time, Rep. Jim Jordan.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:28 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
I'll be surprised if you guys get very far in this thread by slandering, smearing, denigrating,
or whatever it is called to be doing what you are doing to one of Ohio's most universally
revered and, might I even say it, most loved political figures to come along for Ohioans in

Your delusional falsehoods would be comical if not so dangerously disgusting.

John Boehner was the Republican Speaker of the House FROM OHIO, an immense political advantage for our state. Jim Jordan submarined Ohio by working relentlessly to undermine Boehner. Unlike Jordan, Boehner often valued political compromise and the well-being of the nation over hyper-partisan politics.

<< In an interview with CBS about his memoir published this year, On the House, Boehner remarked about Jordan: “I just never saw a guy who spent more time tearing things apart – never building anything, never putting anything together.”>>

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lect-committee

Boehner, one of the most accomplished Ohio political leaders in the 21st century, this spring labeled Jordan a "political terrorist" and yet you believe he is one of the most loved Ohio political figures. Even Jordan knows the falsity of your belief as he declined to run for the U.S. Ohio Senate seat in 2022.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boeh...rrorist-2021-4

Jordan is one of the leading purveyors of Big Lie propaganda and key supporters of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy in his efforts to dismantle American democracy.

Jordan opposes all vaccine mandates, even for polio and measles, let alone COVID. Champions of medical science rightfully find him despicable, as he has repeated backed Trumpian policies that undermine the nation's public health.

<<To resolve the incongruity, opponents of Covid-19 vaccine requirements have two choices: They can accept the effective policies, or they can start pushing back against mandates that predate the current crisis. As The Washington Post noted, one far-right congressman prefers the latter.

The clash over mandates is playing out far beyond Texas.... Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), an outspoken conservative, tweeted that "Ohio should ban all vaccine mandates."

After seeing the Republican's tweet, I checked the Ohio Department of Health's website, which features an "immunization summary for school attendance." It's not an especially short list: Before children can attend schools in Ohio, they must be fully immunized against, among other things, polio, measles, hepatitis B, chickenpox, diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis.>>

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...dates-n1281403

https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect...d1fb85-mwJY3dO

Jordan is highly disrespected among those who care about preserving America's environment and climate change.

https://scorecard.lcv.org/moc/jim-jordan

<<By the time Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, posted a tweet on Sept. 7 declaring that “Real America is done with #COVID19,” the pandemic, and how one responded to it, had already metastasized into a political litmus test.>>

https://news.yahoo.com/why-the-polit...165859860.html

Over 3,700 Ohioans have died of COVID just since Jordan's Sept. 7 tweet. I guess they weren't "real" Americans in Jordan's opinion. Scroll over "Total Coronavirus Deaths in Ohio" here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/ohio/

And well over 100,000 Ohioans likely suffer from disabling long COVID sequelae. I guess they aren't real Americans either in Jordan's view, as they may NEVER be done with COVID, nor will their families. See post 176 in this thread, as well as posts 165, 166, and 177.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...-covid-18.html

Almost 25,000 Ohioans have died to date during the COVID epidemic, and their survivors deprived of their love, mentoring, and even financial support apparently also aren't real Americans in Jordan's view, as these survivors likely will live with the impact of COVID for the remainder of their lives.

BTW, just Ohio's COVID deaths, not even considering economic and educational destruction, are to date 2,118 per million population. This is over 30 times the 69 deaths per million in Australia, where stringent public health measures relentlessly opposed by the likes of Jim Jordan have largely spared that nation relative to Ohio from the COVID epidemic. Over half of the Australian population lives in an essentially COVID-free society. "Real" Americans in Jim Jordan's view don't want public health measures to suppress viral outbreaks, but instead prefer to live in a perpetual endemic, let alone a raging epidemic, unvaccinated and unmasked if they so choose.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In summary, if you worship political grandstanders who polarize even issues essential to the health and well-being of American society, and IMO are scientific knuckleheads, Jim Jordan is your man. And yes, in my opinion, he's a wart on Ohio that any scientific-minded Ohioan must endure, even when the political positions of Jordan and the preponderance of like-minded Republican politicians inflict great harm on Ohio's public health, economic, and societal well-being.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-04-2021 at 04:17 AM..

Old 11-04-2021, 03:54 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post

Is this sarcasm? I really cannot tell.
Jim Jordan has to be one of the worst politicians to ever hold office in Ohio. I am moderate Politically and Jim Jordan is way out there, and I cannot support his positions or ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio