Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 06:09 PM

46 posts, read 63,793 times

Advertisements

Thanks for a current and fresh perspective. We take interstate 77 up to central Ohio every summer to visit family. Go right past Marietta. After reading your experience, I think we may spend a night in Marietta. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the buckeye state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 03:20 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post
Having spent a week in Marietta on vacation.
Were you visiting family? I am curious what you did to occupy yourselves for a week, especially to the extent that you want to return.

I am not doubting that it is nice, but I am having trouble picturing a small town keeping you busy for that long.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:03 PM

120 posts, read 154,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I am not doubting that it is nice, but I am having trouble picturing a small town keeping you busy for that long.
Honestly, it wasn't difficult staying busy...or not...as the mood struck.

I'd advise staying at the Lafayette Hotel. Built in 1918, it offers a rooftop patio that overlooks the Ohio River. It's the perfect place to start your day with coffee while watching the barges ply the river below. PERFECT start to each day! As a bonus, a sit down, fresh cooked breakfast is included with your stay...up to $10.00 per person. Nice!

Our first day was spent in the surrounding countryside doing the covered bridge tour. We purchased bagged lunches and thoroughly enjoyed the solitude, peace and natural beauty of the area...and the covered bridges, some over 150 years old, weren't bad either. Great way to really connect with the region, while lowering your blood pressure at the same time!

Our second day involved a meandering drive into West Virgina that eventually ended up at Henderson Hall.
The mansion was completed in 1859 and is quite literally indescribable. The Hendersons were America's original hoarders and literally kept EVERYTHING. Some of the possessions date back to the 1600's. It's a must see...at least a couple hours are needed to really take in the mansion and grounds. We finished the day walking (some) of the Marietta River Trail, which conveniently is located right outside the front door of the hotel. Great way to build up an appetite!

The third day, we started our exploration of the city itself. We took the Trolly Tour, which served as a nice primer on the history and general layout of the community. The tour lasts a little under 2 hours and was really fun! Once finished, we started walking around downtown, where we happened upon the Peoples Mortuary Museum. A tour was just about to get underway. The guide invited us to join in and we were thrilled we did! It was fascinating...historical...and the guide was both informative and hilarious! Best of all, it's free (donations are suggested.) We finished the day relaxing and exploring Muskingum Park...grabbing some local delicacies for lunch and enjoying the swinging chairs facing the Muskingum River.

Day four, we skipped the complimentary breakfast and walked over to Harmer Village, where we had an amazing brunch and met a super nice couple visiting from Cincinnati. We didn't plan on spending several hours there, but the conversation was good and the beer cold. We followed that up with a river excursion on the Valley Gem. We met some wonderful people and got another perspective of the region, from the deck of a paddleboat. Once back at the dock, we walked over to the Ohio River Museum. Really enjoyed the museum, but the absolute best part was the tour of the WP Snyder Jr. steamboat. A true piece of Ohio River history and frankly, a must do.

Day five, we took a short excursion over to Parkersburg, West Virgina. We enjoyed the Oil & Gas Museum. But the highlight (s) were Blennerhassett Island and the tour of the Blennerhassett Hotel and Museum. Again, keeping with the theme of the area...so much history! We really (REALLY!) wanted to take the self-guided walking tour of the Julia Ann Historic District. The neighborhood would rival some of those found in Charleston (SC) and New Orleans. Stunning architecture and equally stunning landscaping. Enjoyed this immensely. Unfortunately, we missed out on the Wine Tree Vineyard, which was highly recommended.

Day six, we again focused on the downtown. We shopped (surprisingly strong for such a small town) and enjoyed taking in the architecture. We walked the historic intown neighborhood, eventually ending up at the Basilica of Saint Mary (we're not Catholic, nor is it required to appreciate the beauty of this amazing church!) We then walked over and took the tour of The castle. It's a beautiful (historic) house museum. We then walked to the Mound Cemetery. It was a quiet and peaceful setting...really beautiful. Within the Cemetery, as the name suggests, is a several thousand (most likely) year old Native American mound. I've never seen one in person, having only read about and seen them in books. Quite interesting. Again...the history.

Before checking out on day seven, we went for a final walk in Muskingum Park and put a "love lock" on the gate where other tourists and locals alike attach theirs. We said then, we would be returning, as this "itinerary" isn't nearly exhaustive. If coming to the area, I'd highly encourage folks to refer to Tripadvisor (things to do) for both Marietta and Parkersburg.

At the end of every afternoon, we returned to our rooftop oasis overlooking the Ohio River and imbibed in a few cold beers or glasses of wine. The perfect place to reflect on the day and make dinner plans, which were numerous and usually delicious. One evening, we took in a night of music at Muskingum Park (perfect!) We didn't, however, get to any of the music venues in town. They definitely attract some (much) larger acts than one would assume for a town of approximately 14,000. We were content to eat, drink and talk to locals at watering holes/restaurants scattered throughout the downtown area. Many of the places and attractions I mentioned above are walkable from the Lafayette Hotel.

Hope this gives you a sense of what the city and region offer. While we don't have any family in the area, its history, natural beauty, friendly people and ample entertainment opportunities made this a trip to remember. We truly look forward to a return engagement.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:33 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Honestly, it wasn't difficult staying busy...or not...as the mood struck.

I'd advise staying at the Lafayette Hotel. Built in 1918, it offers a rooftop patio that overlooks the Ohio River. It's the perfect place to start your day with coffee while watching the barges ply the river below. PERFECT start to each day! As a bonus, a sit down, fresh cooked breakfast is included with your stay...up to $10.00 per person. Nice!

Our first day was spent in the surrounding countryside doing the covered bridge tour. We purchased bagged lunches and thoroughly enjoyed the solitude, peace and natural beauty of the area...and the covered bridges, some over 150 years old, weren't bad either. Great way to really connect with the region, while lowering your blood pressure at the same time!

Our second day involved a meandering drive into West Virgina that eventually ended up at Henderson Hall.
The mansion was completed in 1859 and is quite literally indescribable. The Hendersons were America's original hoarders and literally kept EVERYTHING. Some of the possessions date back to the 1600's. It's a must see...at least a couple hours are needed to really take in the mansion and grounds. We finished the day walking (some) of the Marietta River Trail, which conveniently is located right outside the front door of the hotel. Great way to build up an appetite!

The third day, we started our exploration of the city itself. We took the Trolly Tour, which served as a nice primer on the history and general layout of the community. The tour lasts a little under 2 hours and was really fun! Once finished, we started walking around downtown, where we happened upon the Peoples Mortuary Museum. A tour was just about to get underway. The guide invited us to join in and we were thrilled we did! It was fascinating...historical...and the guide was both informative and hilarious! Best of all, it's free (donations are suggested.) We finished the day relaxing and exploring Muskingum Park...grabbing some local delicacies for lunch and enjoying the swinging chairs facing the Muskingum River.

Day four, we skipped the complimentary breakfast and walked over to Harmer Village, where we had an amazing brunch and met a super nice couple visiting from Cincinnati. We didn't plan on spending several hours there, but the conversation was good and the beer cold. We followed that up with a river excursion on the Valley Gem. We met some wonderful people and got another perspective of the region, from the deck of a paddleboat. Once back at the dock, we walked over to the Ohio River Museum. Really enjoyed the museum, but the absolute best part was the tour of the WP Snyder Jr. steamboat. A true piece of Ohio River history and frankly, a must do.

Day five, we took a short excursion over to Parkersburg, West Virgina. We enjoyed the Oil & Gas Museum. But the highlight (s) were Blennerhassett Island and the tour of the Blennerhassett Hotel and Museum. Again, keeping with the theme of the area...so much history! We really (REALLY!) wanted to take the self-guided walking tour of the Julia Ann Historic District. The neighborhood would rival some of those found in Charleston (SC) and New Orleans. Stunning architecture and equally stunning landscaping. Enjoyed this immensely. Unfortunately, we missed out on the Wine Tree Vineyard, which was highly recommended.

Day six, we again focused on the downtown. We shopped (surprisingly strong for such a small town) and enjoyed taking in the architecture. We walked the historic intown neighborhood, eventually ending up at the Basilica of Saint Mary (we're not Catholic, nor is it required to appreciate the beauty of this amazing church!) We then walked over and took the tour of The castle. It's a beautiful (historic) house museum. We then walked to the Mound Cemetery. It was a quiet and peaceful setting...really beautiful. Within the Cemetery, as the name suggests, is a several thousand (most likely) year old Native American mound. I've never seen one in person, having only read about and seen them in books. Quite interesting. Again...the history.

Before checking out on day seven, we went for a final walk in Muskingum Park and put a "love lock" on the gate where other tourists and locals alike attach theirs. We said then, we would be returning, as this "itinerary" isn't nearly exhaustive. If coming to the area, I'd highly encourage folks to refer to Tripadvisor (things to do) for both Marietta and Parkersburg.

At the end of every afternoon, we returned to our rooftop oasis overlooking the Ohio River and imbibed in a few cold beers or glasses of wine. The perfect place to reflect on the day and make dinner plans, which were numerous and usually delicious. One evening, we took in a night of music at Muskingum Park (perfect!) We didn't, however, get to any of the music venues in town. They definitely attract some (much) larger acts than one would assume for a town of approximately 14,000. We were content to eat, drink and talk to locals at watering holes/restaurants scattered throughout the downtown area. Many of the places and attractions I mentioned above are walkable from the Lafayette Hotel.

Hope this gives you a sense of what the city and region offer. While we don't have any family in the area, its history, natural beauty, friendly people and ample entertainment opportunities made this a trip to remember. We truly look forward to a return engagement.

Very interesting trip report!

Did you miss the Hopewell and Adena Indian mounds? It's not clear that there's anything to see, but Marietta's mayor quoted at the end of the following article believes they are very consequential.

https://www.ohiotraveler.com/marietta-ohio/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta_Earthworks

Early Marietta: George Washington Was Here

Old 06-27-2022, 06:39 PM

120 posts, read 154,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Did you miss the Hopewell and Adena Indian mounds?
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to either of the two mounds you mentioned. But most certainly will on
a return engagement.

Also, I've been closely following the thread regarding the "Great Climate Migration to Ohio" you started with great interest. Thank-you for your time and effort in furthering this worthwhile discussion. I'm actively looking to relocate myself and you've given me much to consider.

Paul

Old 06-28-2022, 03:26 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to either of the two mounds you mentioned. But most certainly will on
a return engagement.

Also, I've been closely following the thread regarding the "Great Climate Migration to Ohio" you started with great interest. Thank-you for your time and effort in furthering this worthwhile discussion. I'm actively looking to relocate myself and you've given me much to consider.

Paul

Thank you. Here's the relocation exploration of SlideRules99, the foremost climate change migrant in the Cleveland forum and a valuable contributor to the climate migration thread. Perhaps spend a week in northeast Ohio! Once you've experienced Lake Erie, rivers won't be quite as fascinating, but Greater Cleveland has some great rivers though much smaller than the Ohio River. Watching a Great Lakes freighter navigate up the Cuyahoga is much more impressive, in a ritual of well-coordinated rising and falling bridges, than watching the barge trains on the Ohio River, although locks always are entertaining but a relatively slow event.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...d-weekend.html

BTW, we forget that the Ohio River used to freeze in the winter! I suspect there may be some great memories, certainly historical accounts and even pictures, of a frozen Ohio River in Marietta.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ti/6562403001/

Sadly and scarily, within a few decades, Lake Erie likely will no longer freeze in the winter.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-28-2022 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio