Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 11:32 PM

383 posts, read 512,853 times

Advertisements

I know this will spark some heated debate but here it goes. Ohio is an oddball state. I have been trying to find another state that has the population and history comparable to Ohio that has no major city in modern times. North Carolina was the only state that I could come up with, that is slightly similar to Ohio. All other top 10 states based on population, have a major dominating city.

Obviously we can't change history but do you think not having a dominant city has hurt Ohio in the long run vs three comparable medium size cities? Ohio has no true airline hubs anymore vs the other top ten states. Other top ten states have a city that draws tourists beyond what Ohio can draw. I don't know if there is a right answer but Ohio seems stuck in a weird place that it is a top 10 state but nothing about it stands out to the outside world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 05:16 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
I don’t think so. Outside of Chicago, there aren’t any large Midwestern cities that are a national draw anyway. Detroit and the Twin Cities have their big 4 sports teams and major corporations but I don’t see what they bring otherwise compared to Ohios smaller cities. Also, one could argue Detroit has been an anchor since the fortunes of the state come and go with that of the city & industry. Ohio has three mid-major cities that have all had varying fortunes over the years, which has benefited the state, and people have a choice over which one they’d like to live for their chosen opportunities or lifestyle preferences.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 10,770 times
Texas is on the same boat with there being multiple major cities with neither dominating the state, and they're thriving down there.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don’t think so. Outside of Chicago, there aren’t any large Midwestern cities that are a national draw anyway. Detroit and the Twin Cities have their big 4 sports teams and major corporations but I don’t see what they bring otherwise compared to Ohios smaller cities. Also, one could argue Detroit has been an anchor since the fortunes of the state come and go with that of the city & industry. Ohio has three mid-major cities that have all had varying fortunes over the years, which has benefited the state, and people have a choice over which one they’d like to live for their chosen opportunities or lifestyle preferences.
True, it is nice that people can choose between metros within one state. That is one nice thing we have going for us.

I guess I was thinking that a combined 3C would be a roughly 6.3 million metro and an even higher CSA. That would place it in the same tier as Washington DC and Philadelphia.

Ohio to me seems out place for being the 7th largest state by population yet the population is so spread out between metros, that it misses out on the benefits of having a single large Metro in the state. Other states with a single dominant metro, have a more robust airline hub network, public transportation and identity.

Again not able to rewrite history but just thought it would be interesting to see people's thoughts on whether Ohio would've been better or worse if it had a single large metro.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:26 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
OP if anything a dominant major city is a detriment to the state in terms of potential over-representation in state politics and higher funding, as well as overshadowing tourism in the remainder of the state. NYC in NY State is a great example.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce_enjoyer View Post
Texas is on the same boat with there being multiple major cities with neither dominating the state, and they're thriving down there.
True but Dallas and Houston are Major cities. I feel like there is a population point where a metro is large enough to support things like airline hubs, and public transportation, infrastructure ect. Ohio seems to have to spread all its resources around to the 3C's which in a way hurts Ohio.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:59 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
I know this will spark some heated debate but here it goes. Ohio is an oddball state. I have been trying to find another state that has the population and history comparable to Ohio that has no major city in modern times. North Carolina was the only state that I could come up with, that is slightly similar to Ohio. All other top 10 states based on population, have a major dominating city.

Obviously we can't change history but do you think not having a dominant city has hurt Ohio in the long run vs three comparable medium size cities? Ohio has no true airline hubs anymore vs the other top ten states. Other top ten states have a city that draws tourists beyond what Ohio can draw. I don't know if there is a right answer but Ohio seems stuck in a weird place that it is a top 10 state but nothing about it stands out to the outside world.
How about Pennsylvania? Closer to home, PA has Philadelphia and Pittsburgh? Also, a background much more similar to Ohio that North Carolina.

Until recently, North Carolina wasn't even on the radar as a place to live - or visit. The building explosion caused by Northerners demanding new builds and not being able to afford them, has put NC on the map, for some. For example, Charlotte isn't a city to me at all. It's a sprawling conglomerate of oversized houses and one subdivision after another. I do not see the draw.

What is Connecticut's dominating city? Hartford? Bridgeport? Stamford? Really none.

Since I am originally from the East Coast, I can tell you where people I know like to visit when they are in Ohio - Cleveland. No, not Cincinatti or Columbus. Northeastern Ohio. The Lake, the culture and arts, the rolling hills of northeast Ohio, are very inviting to tourists, as is the great food scene and historic Rock and Roll culture.

Many people first visit Ohio because they are interested in Nationally ranked colleges and universities. I have friends who attended Case Western Reserve, Hiram, Oberlin, Antioch and Kenyon.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How about Pennsylvania? Closer to home, PA has Philadelphia and Pittsburgh? Also, a background much more similar to Ohio that North Carolina.

Until recently, North Carolina wasn't even on the radar as a place to live - or visit. The building explosion caused by Northerners demanding new builds and not being able to afford them, has put NC on the map, for some. For example, Charlotte isn't a city to me at all. It's a sprawling conglomerate of oversized houses and one subdivision after another. I do not see the draw.

What is Connecticut's dominating city? Hartford? Bridgeport? Stamford? Really none.

Since I am originally from the East Coast, I can tell you where people I know like to visit when they are in Ohio - Cleveland. No, not Cincinatti or Columbus. Northeastern Ohio. The Lake, the culture and arts, the rolling hills of northeast Ohio, are very inviting to tourists, as is the great food scene and historic Rock and Roll culture.

Many people first visit Ohio because they are interested in Nationally ranked colleges and universities. I have friends who attended Case Western Reserve, Hiram, Oberlin, Antioch and Kenyon.
Philadelphia comes immediately to mind for Pennsylvania. I was really just comparing the top 10 states based on population. North Carolina seems to be the only top 10 state similar to Ohio.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:11 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Personally, I think Ohio's past greatness was because of its multiple cities. (all of them, not just the biggest) No one was too far away from a population center to take their first step to changing the world. (yes, that sounds like rhetoric, sorry ) The Wright brothers started out in Dayton. The Warner brothers started out in Youngstown. Alan Freed became famous in Cleveland but got his start in Youngstown and Akron, etc.

Sorry to get political, but if Ohio isn't exactly thriving today, I think it's because the state has slowly gone Republican. And, the policies of today's Republican party typically don't support cities. Speaking very generally, because I'm sure there are exceptions, if our cities are successful, it's despite a lack of help from the state. (Columbus being an outlier as the state capital)

Old 09-09-2023, 11:46 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP if anything a dominant major city is a detriment to the state in terms of potential over-representation in state politics and higher funding, as well as overshadowing tourism in the remainder of the state. NYC in NY State is a great example.
NYC subsidizes the much poorer remainder of the state. Ask me how I know. Republican Upstaters who sometimes go as far as to call for Upstate's creation of a separate state have little appreciation for NYS' budgetary realities. As it happens, all throughout my life (well, past a certain age, anyway), I've compared Upstate NY with Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio