Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times

Advertisements

when i lived in ohio there was only two seasons...winter....and the fourth of july!!!
i was in ne ohio which seems to get heavy overcast and snow from lake erie, not many sunny days. i used to worry about global freezing..but friends say its not that bad anymore. all in all its a nice place to visit....but after 3 days i remember why i left, its an economic bust...but i may be wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
Thats very true about Toledo. They have been getting billions of dollars in investments. They just rencently got a new Jeep factory i heard. Toledo is going through alot of new construction, but it wouldnt be the first place in Ohio i would direct someone to. There are plenty of other cities like Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton and Akron i would tell people to move to first.

Ohio's economy is getting much better. We have the fastest GSP growth rates in the midwest and northeast. And i think alot of people are really taking the winter thing too far. Right now it is 87 with blue skies all around, not a cloud in the sky. Its cold for about 3-4 months and alot warmer the next few. We dont get blistering cold and oppresive winters like Canada and Minnesota. And these last few winters have been quite warm.

There are alot of people coming back to Ohio if they moved away. They are coming back because it is a cheaper place to live than most and the job oppurtunities here are very diversified. Its a different story than back in the 90s. Ohio's economy has diversified in many ways. I look at all the HQs that are located in some of the cities here and some major corps. i didnt even know were in Ohio. Not to mention the amount of people moving to Ohio. We have some of the fastest growing metros in the northern half of the country. Not saying this is all good because Ohio does have alot of sprawl. But alot of people are finding Ohio an attractive area to live. Every state has its problems. No state out there is perfect.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,929 times
Hi Candra!
I just moved back to Ohio from Phoenix (where I have never seen so much pollution as they had last year). I think it depends on where you are in Ohio. I live in a semi-rural area between Cleveland and Youngstown, closer to Cleveland, which I think has better music and art scenes. In fact, I just got a job at a school (I am a librarian) nearby for which I need to live on campus, and I am trying to rent my house out. I love this area, we have over an acre of land, a large yard, and it is surrounded by trees, so pollution is not a problem. There is great night life if you are into it. We also used to give living space to an artist, who enjoyed being here. I think the move from AZ to OH is a good one, but of course it depends on where exactly you are. Be well and good luck with your decision. I am happy to answers any more questions you might have about the area as best I can!
Jodi

Old 07-27-2006, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 11,210 times
Default On Youngstown

Hi Candra,

It's been a couple of months since your original post, have you made your decision yet?If not, let me offer my two cents worth.Do yourself a BIG favor and talk your boyfriend out of moving back to Youngstown.You mention that he has political friends.Consider this : in the last five years or so, Youngstown's representative to the U.S. Congress, the county prosecutor, the county sheriff, and a number of municipal judges have all been sent to prison with corruption ties to organized crime.All of these people were elected over and over again by a knowing electorate who chose to look the other way, believing that "everyone in politics is corrupt".The person chosen to replace the imprisoned congressman had no qualifications other than being the former star quarterback of the catholic high school football team.Which were the only qualifications of his predecessor.

Candra, I have nephews who are in the art communities in Philadelphia and Providence, so, from your posts I have an idea of what your interests and values might be like. Please don't underestimate how culturally bereft and ambivalent this area is.It could place an enormous strain on your relationship.

Good Luck.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
Default ohio

Try Ann Arbor Mich. Sounds like a good fit for your interests.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM

I wouldnt go to Michigan. Unemployment rate is the worst in the nation and crime is pretty bad in SE Michigan. My new neighbors are from Livonia, Michigan and they are very glad they left.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,169 times
Unhappy I'd have to say no...

Well, I can pretty much tell you for sure that you wouldn't be happy in Ohio. You seem like you're kind of the "earthy" type and, well, that's not how we are here in Ohio. It's true, there aren't many TRUE organic foods stores and not very many people take as much interest in art here either.

Well, from reading the other posts, I can tell you that some of the things being said are not true: especially statements about weather. True, we have sometimes terrible winters, but our summers are very nice. I don't think weather should be a main concern when moving. Consider, instead, the things that I mentioned in the first paragraph. Try taking a little vacation to see what it's really like here, if you are serious about moving here.

Good luck with your decision and I hope I helped a little!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAS
Well, from reading the other posts, I can tell you that some of the things being said are not true: especially statements about weather. True, we have sometimes terrible winters, but our summers are very nice.
I do like the summers here. I usually come back from AZ for 2 weeks and stay with family, to beat the desert heat for awhile and see whats going on here.

I was in Toledo in July this year, and the weather was actually worse, it was 95 and super humid! Yuck! Ill take 110 over that. But now it is the humid season in AZ, and my brother in OH says the humidity is gone for now.

I miss the snow sometimes, but I can drive two hours north and see that during the winter months. I definately do not miss the cold weather. Weather shouldnt be the top reason for a move, but it was definately a top contender on my list. Also, I still have the car I was driving when I moved out, and it actually stopped rusting....

Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader
Toledo is far from perfect but I will admit it has been going in a positive direction even recent as the past 2 years. The warehouse district downtown has been filling very fast with new businesses. Almost everywhere you look near 5/3rd field theres a "coming soon" sign in alot of the formally vacant buildings. Having being a resident here all my life I will admit I have never seen so much construction going on at one time.
Yes, it was nice to see the economic development downtown. I took a trip downtown when I was here in July, and Summit street looks a whole lot better now. With the new 5/3 field and Owens Corning finally coming out of bankruptcy, hopefully things are looking up. They were just starting to build the now booming new Jeep plant when I left. My friends in OH say the job market is still struggling though.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:32 AM

^Your car must have been old then. Your newer cars are built to not rust from salt and all that from the winter months. Actually newer cars dont normally rust from salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio