Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,251 times

Advertisements

I'm from Ohio, lived here all my life minus one year I lived in Kentucky.

Everyone in KY said I had an "Ohio" accent and they could tell I wasn't from the area. Whereas all of them had that "Southern" accent. This was central KY btw and I'm from central Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I'm from Ohio, lived here all my life minus one year I lived in Kentucky.

Everyone in KY said I had an "Ohio" accent and they could tell I wasn't from the area. Whereas all of them had that "Southern" accent. This was central KY btw and I'm from central Ohio
Ohio has many accents depending on what city you live in.. People raised in columbus have a "drawl" to my Cleveland ears. And Cincinnati people have something different than columbus .

Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Midwest

Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 PM

120 posts, read 216,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm from Ohio. There are a lot of places that are in the Eastern Time Zone that are not considered to be in the East. Pennsylvania, maybe, but not Ohio.
Thank you for being kind and explaining. I love Ohio. I live in a place with so little rain so seeing lush, green hills and perfect lawn is so pleasing to the eye. I wasn't meaning to be rude. In fact, my Ohioan boyfriend said that he doesn't understand why people call it the Midwest. Well, he is from the Wheeling Metro area so his perspective is different. Thank you again for explaining again.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
It's both given that people I know from California, Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon tend to consider basically everything east of the Mississippi River to be "back East" including the Deep South. In fact many people from the West don't even understand why the Civil War is a big deal. Kentucky and West Virginia are also referred to as "back East".

I actually just got back from Ohio and I've been there before too. This weekend I was in the Columbus area and drove from West Virginia via Athens and Lancaster. I've also driven across all the way on Interstate 70 several years ago on a cross country roadtrip. The majority of what I saw was distinctly Midwestern especially the cornfields and the flat farm country once you leave the Appalachian part of Ohio. I think once you're south of Lancaster the Appalachian feel really takes over. Ironton and Pomeroy definitely feel like West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. I think many people in Ironton and southern Ohio talk a lot like people from the nearby parts of West Virginia. I think the transition into the Midwest is very abrupt with Lancaster being the boundary. The area between Lancaster and the West Virginia border at Ravenswood is extremely mountainous with some surprisingly steep inclines when driving.

I'm no familiar with Cleveland or Cincinnati. I consider the Midwest to include both he Great Lakes and the Great Plains regions. I'd say going west, Colorado overall is a Western state for sure but Eastern Colorado does have a Midwestern feel. I'm not sure if Oklahoma is Midwest or not. There are people who say Arkansas is but I definitely Arkansas to be part of the South.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

89 posts, read 128,631 times
Midwest.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM

416 posts, read 701,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Midwest.
I'm so glad Ohio is not anything like Missouri! You love Ohio, don't you, St. Louisan? You're obsessed... your days are not long for this place.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I'm so glad Ohio is not anything like Missouri! You love Ohio, don't you, St. Louisan? You're obsessed... your days are not long for this place.
As I've said before, I don't know what you're talking about. You must have me confused with someone else. I'm not from St. Louis. I'm from Pittsburgh and know people from Mahoning Valley....your mannerisms struck me as being like somebody from there that I know very personally. Guess you're not them. Sorry for my mistaken identity. Have a good day and good luck with whatever personal vendetta you've got against this St. Louisan person you keep referring to. I'm not interested in fighting and never was to begin with when I sent you that message. Have a nice life.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:04 PM

416 posts, read 701,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
As I've said before, I don't know what you're talking about. You must have me confused with someone else. I'm not from St. Louis. I'm from Pittsburgh and know people from Mahoning Valley....your mannerisms struck me as being like somebody from there that I know very personally. Guess you're not them. Sorry for my mistaken identity. Have a good day and good luck with whatever personal vendetta you've got against this St. Louisan person you keep referring to.
Right. I will keep my eye on your posts. You're from Pittsburgh but you have the same interests and exact same way of posting as you know who. I can see a Pittsburgher being interested in Ohio, but not Missouri, Indiana, or other states you posted and talked about for the majority of your posts now. From the cultural discussions to talking about the very exact same things; something seems up and the PM proved that. It's not a vendetta, it's just multiple PMs from people over the last year talking exactly like yourself that let people know what you're up to. All the threads you posted in I have never posted in. See what I am getting at? You never knew anything about my mannerisms.

FYI, multiple accounts are against forum rules.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Again, I'm not St. Louisan. And I for one disagree that Ohio is nothing like Missouri. It's a Midwestern state just like Missouri is. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are all Midwestern cities in every way shape and form as are Kansas City and St. Louis. Heck Pittsburgh barely even qualifies as Northeastern. It's got more in common with Chicago than Philadelphia or Boston. Anyway, I'm not interested in arguing. You have your views, I have mine. It's not a contest and I'm not out to prove you wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio