Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,920 times

Advertisements

I'm betting as a special ed teacher with the willingness to coach, you're gonna have some luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 PM

113 posts, read 425,477 times
Check out the ODE website. I'm an art teacher & scour that website EVERY DAY looking for jobs. There have been 3 art teacher jobs so far. Ha ha. I can't wait to move back to Ohio!

Here's the URL: ODE - Home

Make sure you look every day. Also, there are many districts that do not post on their website. So as horrible as it sounds, you have to go through each county's website sometimes to look. We have tons of counties too. But if you want a job, you've got to be persistent. I applied for 74 jobs last year before finally getting a job in SC. I'm a first year teacher. I thought that being a second year teacher might help me get a better job, but now with the economy... I'm getting a little nervous about finding one. Good luck!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
What If you have a bd in elementry social studies?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,856,676 times
after Toledo Public and Cleveland Public eliminated hundreds of positions due to budget cuts i'd be surprised if those math and sci jobs are still in high demand. i graduated from the University of Toledo in 2003, landed a job at my old high school b/c my dad was / is an administrator in the district, but looked elsewhere after a year.

had friends licensed in math and science who had trouble finding jobs in ohio. regardless of the imbalance between math / ss / sci/ la and elem and pe whatever in Ohio for every job opening there are at least a few dozen resumes that principals collect. i've lived and taught in Greenville, SC for the last 7 years and interviewed for a job in ohio back in april of 2008 (the job went to a graduate of the school imagine that haha) and the principal had selected myself and 4 other people out of 75 resumes to interview. and the other 75 were legit licensed people he said. kinda very sad when you think about it.

i remember going to a job fair in raleigh, nc a few years ago and some chick who had obviously just graduated from Ohio university (she had an OU bag of some kind) was walking out of the school where they were doing the job fair for the district and she was on the phone balling to i assume one of her parents about how she would never find a job. this was probably 3 years ago.

teaching is not the fall back profession it use to be. even NC and SC where i teach now don't hire anywhere as much as they use to. use to be if you had a resume that said Ohio somewhere on it they'd give you a contract right after you said hello. not the case anymore. the district i teach in now had to make teacher cuts this past school year to prepare for a current year budget short fall. if the southern districts are cutting people what do you think the midwestern ones are doing? sad.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 PM

72 posts, read 115,351 times
I am a teacher in the Warren area and can tell you that math, science and special ed teachers are the most in demand. That is not to say that anyone can get a job in those areas. Our school has had quite a bit of turnover over the last 5 years and I have sat in on several interviews. Schools are desperate for very good teachers and have some luxury in several areas but math and science applicants are few. Make sure you have a portfolio to show what sets you apart from others vying for the same position. Some things to make sure you include:

1) A variety of teaching methods to reach different needs of students.

2) A strong basis in technology (know Smartboard tech, turning point and show the ability to run and maintain a website...these can be shown in #1 to impress)

3) Come prepared...check the ODE site for Ohio report card data in your prospect school and make sure to show your strength in their weaknesses (Everyone knows the tests are bogus but they are important to state funding and therefore every administrator will be looking to improve in areas.)

4) Strength in subject area is great but teaching is about being able to impart that knowledge to others...include some assessments that show that you can do it well....again try to have some similarities to the OAT/OGT in your standard assessments with some non traditional assessments as well.

I wish you luck. As a social studies teacher I was lucky to be around administrators that welcomed my unusual teaching style and fought for my services. Remember even in an interview you are trying for a position that is about young kids, not you and that should be something you show...if that's not the case it will probably show and someone else will get the position.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
There are very few teaching jobs in Ohio, and it really does appear that it depends on who you know.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,549,734 times
You might be in luck; if Gov. Kasich gets his way, he'll bust up the teachers unions, get lots of charter schools going so that only a few investors/entrepreneuers can make money while they turn teacher's salaries and working conditions into yet another "Mcjob". So maybe there'll be plenty of openings in a few years... (Especially if you're young, inexperienced and PERKY!)

Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM

913 posts, read 2,364,194 times
For all you who want to teach in Ohio, you better hurry and get a job. If the gov and state legislature change the teacher retirement system there will not be very many openings for a while. It looks like the required years will be changing beginning in 2015. Until then teachers can retire at 60 with 30 years. In 2016 it's 61 years old and 31 years, in 2017 62 years old and 32 years, etc to 2021. So basically very few teachers will be retiring from 2016 to 2021. The teachers will also be paying 14% into their retirement, when teachers in some other state pay nothing and people in the private sector are paying 4.2% right now. And they are trying to take away their right to strike and collective bargaining. Why would anyone want to teach in Ohio?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

913 posts, read 2,364,194 times
Here is some more wonderful things from SB5

Schools are not allowed to pay the employees contribution into the retirement system.

Schools are not allowed to pay more than 80% of health care premiums.

Eliminates sick leave accumulation.

Eliminates the right to collectively bargain health care.

Before some of you say "it's about time", keep in mind that most, if not all, other states do not have such rules. How can Ohio keep good teachers when other states offer better conditions?

Last edited by davery5872; 02-15-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,549,734 times
I guess what I have such a hard time understanding is why the Republicans (and those that are like-minded) who supposedly understand what it means to compete for the best employees in the private sector cannot understand that the same rules apply to the public sector, as well. If you want the best employees, you must have wages and benefits that compete with other employers. And government entities DO compete for the best employees with the private sector. Yes, there are altrustic folks out there that want to serve the public as teachers, firefighters, law enforcement and even the BMV. But why shouldn't they expect the same standard of living as someone in the private sector of comparable skill and education.

I've paid into Social Secrity all my life. My wife contributes to STRS. None of the media spin doctors ever mention that if something would happen to me, my wife would get absolutely none of my SS. unlike if she had been a housewife or worked ANYWHERE else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio