Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times

Advertisements

I got this off the Michigan board

Sheriff: Stranded fishermen 'should have known better' - CNN.com

(CNN) -- An Ohio sheriff had harsh words for ice fishermen who had to be rescued Saturday after high winds and rising temperatures caused an ice floe to break away and strand about 150 of them on Lake Erie.
More at link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I got this off the Michigan board

Sheriff: Stranded fishermen 'should have known better' - CNN.com

(CNN) -- An Ohio sheriff had harsh words for ice fishermen who had to be rescued Saturday after high winds and rising temperatures caused an ice floe to break away and strand about 150 of them on Lake Erie.
More at link
All 150 of them should be sent a hugh bill for the rescue operation to reimburse the tax payers. Everyone knows that Lake Erie is unstable this time of the year.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 876,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
All 150 of them should be sent a hugh bill for the rescue operation to reimburse the tax payers. Everyone knows that Lake Erie is unstable this time of the year.

The tax-payers ate the bill for hundreds of thousands of people in New Orleans who didn't want to leave even though they had three to five days of notice that a monster hurricane was likely bearing down on their city.

Why should 150 fishermen, who went onto ice that was several feet thick, be punished? The only thing they did wrong was building a bridge to get further out on the ice. That was a rather foolish thing to do, but they had no way of knowing that a huge ice floe would break off and drift into the lake. There were no advanced forecasts about such a thing.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Umm.... the National Weather Service, NOAA, and U.S. Coast Guard regularly post weather bulletins about Lake Erie and ice conditions.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
The tax-payers ate the bill for hundreds of thousands of people in New Orleans who didn't want to leave even though they had three to five days of notice that a monster hurricane was likely bearing down on their city.

Why should 150 fishermen, who went onto ice that was several feet thick, be punished? The only thing they did wrong was building a bridge to get further out on the ice. That was a rather foolish thing to do, but they had no way of knowing that a huge ice floe would break off and drift into the lake. There were no advanced forecasts about such a thing.
In some way they did, last week when we were hit by that lake effect snow. There was a 20 X 40 mile wide hole in the ice that was open to allow the the heavy snow fall in the snow belt. That was a big warning that the ice getting thinner. And everyone knows that the ore boats bust the ice on a daily bases, you can't trust the lake waters, it always moving.

And as for the New Orleans comment, I have to give you that one . As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does". I guess you could say that, "they were truly treading on thin ice".

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM

1,009 posts, read 876,002 times
Quote:
In some way they did, last week when we were hit by that lake effect snow. There was a 20 X 40 mile wide hole in the ice that was open to allow the the heavy snow fall in the snow belt. That was a big warning that the ice getting thinner. And everyone knows that the ore boats bust the ice on a daily bases, you can't trust the lake waters, it always moving.

And as for the New Orleans comment, I have to give you that one . As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does". I guess you could say that, "they were truly treading on thin ice".

I'd say that the fishers should have had some sort of idea that going on the ice was risky. I won't fault them for ice-fishing, but I will fault them for going out so far that they had to construct a wood bridge to get across gaps in the ice. The gaps in the ice should have told them something.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I'd say that the fishers should have had some sort of idea that going on the ice was risky. I won't fault them for ice-fishing, but I will fault them for going out so far that they had to construct a wood bridge to get across gaps in the ice. The gaps in the ice should have told them something.
Yah I know! I have some friends that like to ice fish, I never saw the need for it personally. I wonder who's bright idea it was to construct a bridge and drag it out there anyway. Even Eskimos know better than to venture out on ice when its fractured and moving. Can they spell "DAH"!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Everyone knows that Lake Erie is unstable this time of the year.
Apparently, everyone doesn't.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Apparently, everyone doesn't.
If they were born and raised anywhere near Lake Erie, they would know better. This isn't the Artic Circle we're talking about here, it's the shallowest lake of all five of them.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Well, shame on them for taking such a risk, but at least there was minimal loss of life. I suspect the herd mentality just took over, and they followed the leader, not realizing the leader didn't know what he was doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio