Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ohio's New Governor
Ted Strickland 26 50.00%
John Kasich 26 50.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM

142 posts, read 355,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I'm not trying to argue or anything, but how many of those people are commuting to another metro area for work? Dayton and Columbus I can sort of see... but Cleveland? I think that train would be pretty empty. Wouldn't it make more sense to connect Cleveland to Pittsburgh? Of course I'm on the outside looking in.
I don't think it'd be for a daily commute, but afaik a lot of business is done in other cities (ie: company in CLE sends employee to COL or CIN somewhat often) and they'd be taking the train every time instead of driving/flying. The train would be cheaper than flying and they'd also be able to get work done on the train ride there which they obviously cannot do in a car.

It also opens up the possibility of a weekend trip (or even just a single overnight trip). For example, I live in Cleveland but enjoy going to Blue Jacket games. I could hop on a train down to Columbus, go to the game, grab a hotel room, then go back the next day. While on the train I'd be able to sleep or even do other work so it's more productive than just driving.

And finally (probably most importantly), this is not a long-term solution but rather a stepping stone. Going from no train to a high speed train is not exactly easy (esp given the financial climate in OH and the fact that it is not growing very fast). This is just more of a prelude to the eventual high speed train.

By the way, I *believe* the eventual plan is to connect it to Pittsburgh (and Chicago too). This just happens to be first because presumably intrastate travel is more common than interstate travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
I would like to point out that i know a ton of people from the Warren area that commute to places like Solon, Beechwood, Independence and other areas in the Cleveland metro. Not to mention i know a ton of people that have season tickets to the Browns (my boyfriend included), Indians, etc and they would love to be able to go to Cleveland and back without having to drive. You wouldn't believe the drunks that start tailgating up there between 4am-6am and i would feel much better if they were taking the train! A lot of us in the Mahoning Valley also attend concerts and other events fairly often in the Cleveland area. It's definitely something i'd be interested in using. My dad tells stories about getting on the train in Warren and going to Cleveland to visit family on the weekends back when he was a kid, so it used to work, why not try it again.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:49 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I would like to point out that i know a ton of people from the Warren area that commute to places like Solon, Beechwood, Independence and other areas in the Cleveland metro. Not to mention i know a ton of people that have season tickets to the Browns (my boyfriend included), Indians, etc and they would love to be able to go to Cleveland and back without having to drive. You wouldn't believe the drunks that start tailgating up there between 4am-6am and i would feel much better if they were taking the train! A lot of us in the Mahoning Valley also attend concerts and other events fairly often in the Cleveland area. It's definitely something i'd be interested in using. My dad tells stories about getting on the train in Warren and going to Cleveland to visit family on the weekends back when he was a kid, so it used to work, why not try it again.
I believe the Cleveland Youngstown Pittsburgh line would be in the second phase... If the whole project isn't killed by a republican governor.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
Wake up, people. Do you really want more of the same? Strickland has presided over steady, rising unemployment; complete with a steady loss of well paying blue collar jobs and a state-wide brain drain of promising college graduates. Strickland came into office, promising that he'd turn around the mess that "Tax It!" Taft left the state in. Did he? No. Is the state in better shape than it was when Taft left? No.

Social issues and religious stances are NOT the reall issues most Ohioans care about! It's jobs, plain and simple. Ted has not delivered. Don't reward apathetic leadership...... He had more than enough time to make a difference, and he failed.

Fire him in November.......and every other incumbent, regardless of party. Send them all a message.
I assure you that I DO indeed care about their stance on social issues! I am pro choice, pro gay rights, believe in Evolution and in the TOTAL Seperation of Church and State. Republicans DO NOT represent what I believe in, and until they do, I will never vote for them.
NAFTA is to blame for the job losses, not Strickland. We are in a recession, (in case you haven't noticed) thanks to GW Bush and his wars, tax breaks, etc. Obama has a huge mess to clean up, just like Clinton did, which will take some time. Too bad Clinton can't be President again, those were good times.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM

72 posts, read 115,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I assure you that I DO indeed care about their stance on social issues! I am pro choice, pro gay rights, believe in Evolution and in the TOTAL Seperation of Church and State. Republicans DO NOT represent what I believe in, and until they do, I will never vote for them.
NAFTA is to blame for the job losses, not Strickland. We are in a recession, (in case you haven't noticed) thanks to GW Bush and his wars, tax breaks, etc. Obama has a huge mess to clean up, just like Clinton did, which will take some time. Too bad Clinton can't be President again, those were good times.
The question is would you care what their views on these issues were is they didn't try to impose them into their political decisions. I am pro choice as well but not because I would seek one for my family (I have 5 kids) except in the most extreme case (rape/incest) but I don not believe that someone in Washington or Columbus should make that decision for my family and my beliefs are not more important than another citizen that makes that choice. People that choose to call themselves pro-life (Which I also consider myself) tend to think that pro-choice is someone that approves (enjoys?) of abortion. As for religious beliefs I have mine but do not believe that somehow I am better suited to know "truth" than others of other beliefs...this is not the case for those that want religion brought into government. Bringing these 2 views together in an absurd way...should someone in Washington/Columbus have the right to force you to have an abortion or change religion (which is done almost everytime a theocracy is in power.) If the answer is NO then why should the opposite be OK?

I agree with you btw...just adding to the thought.

Last edited by Droolrockworm; 10-25-2010 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Kasich is Rupert Murdochs boy. If you elect him he'll be running for President in two years

Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
This is a tight race.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why only two options? There are other candidates running for the governer office ya know.
I'm with ya. However, I believe ted Strickland has done well, especially since he was handed challenges NO governor could magically fix.

As for John Kasich, I haven't heard anything of substance from him. And, IMHO, his being a former Wall Streeter leaves me less than comfortable.

I've heard people such as the Buckeye Institute on talk radio and I hear them say stuff like: "We could eliminate OH state income tax if we took away collectiv bargaining away from public employees". Sorry, but the name of the game is hire enough public employees to do the job and pay them honestly. And, yes, Cortland Girl, we DO need the Three-C Connector!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Ok, so I'm curious, since I have moved from Ohio and this thread is old, how close it it now? I have always liked John Kasick, and I hope he wins.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so I'm curious, since I have moved from Ohio and this thread is old, how close it it now? I have always liked John Kasick, and I hope he wins.
Gentlearts, it's currently a neck-in-neck race. I believe Kasich has about a 2-percentage point lead. Gonna be close...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio