Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM

6 posts, read 18,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm new to Tulsa and while I like it ... I plan on moving to a more rural area within the next few years. I've lived in classic cities for far too long and I see no reason to return ... but I want to be within an hour's drive of one.

My question is... what (if anything) is different (for a middle age African American who plans to do some small farming ...) in the Oklahoma City area than Tulsa?

1. Are the people different? (If so, how?)

2. Is there any more small towns or "back woods" where blacks are farming and living in harmony with whites? (I looked at a few places in Arkansas and it looked like 1953 down "thar".)

In short, what do the areas around and outside of Oklahoma City have that Tulsa lacks? (Is one any better than the other?)
Can you please tell me what it is like to live in Tulsa? I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio and am looking for a place ( a nice small size city) to raise my two mutiracial boys in. I'm AA and AIndian, with some Ethiopian. I figured you would know since you live there. I plan on contuining my education at Langston University eighter in Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

I also have plans to open up e poetry shop to sell my self made music albums, poetry, and books with the non-profit organization that I have. Is it a good place for a business or non-profit organization? How is the crime? (Especially with chidren)

I was intrested in purchasing a trailer mobile home, possibly. Is it diverse there. I would like to be in a community where there are different colors.

The plans are for my children and I to move between June 2008 and June 2009. Please respond if you know anything. As soon as I receive my associates in law enforcement I'm leaving. I'm tired of the bigg city. My children have had some rocks thrown at them, and beat up for being more than black, this is within the black community. Instead of them doing things in the black community like I would like for them to, I send them to school in a private community with whites, and hispanics.

Thank you for your time. Moderator cut: Links removed

Last edited by Jammie; 12-02-2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: those links aren't allowed

Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
I would try to DM (press the the members name and you will find out how to DM) since this is the Oklahoma City forum. That way you can get better feedback. I wouldnt consider Tulsa as a small city...It has a metro of 900,000 and is a city of 400,000. Tulsa is a mid sized city looking to get bigger and better. I have more knowledge of OKC but I frequent Tulsa a lot. I can tell you it is one of the prettiest cities in the U.S. because of the massive amount of Art Deco. In fact it has the third largest collection in the world...Many Oaks are proud of that fact.

The poetry shop would work perfectly amongst the businesses along Cherry Street...
here is an article about cherry Street...I tried to find the website but couldnt.
Sweet Cherry Street Southern Living - Find Articles

Crime is a bit high comapared to other cities its size but it is mostly on the Northside from what I know and have seen IN PERSON.

Tulsa is somewhat diverse in color but not like OKC where I am from. It has great museums and has pretty hills. The black community is primarily located in the northside of town...Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't think you'll find the people in OkC any different than you've found in Tulsa. People in OkC are very nice, much like the whole state. As far as small towns, there are hundreds of them and you'd just need to get some info from the locals for the specific town. I came from a very small town in SE Oklahoma that had very few African Americans but those that did live there were treated absolutely no different from anyone else. I keep going back to this, but I believe the lack of racism in Oklahoma (when compared to other states) is due to the large Native American population there. Okies are accustomed to being around people that are not of their skin color and heritage. Most of us grew up and were friends with many Native Americans for most of our lives and so color seems to be less of an issue than it is in many other areas (IMO). I hope this helps somewhat. Veganwriter, you have a great attitude and I think that goes A LONG way toward being accepted in any community. I wish you nothing but the best of luck wherever you end up.

Edit: I have to add this. If you do end up in a small town where there are very few AAs, you probably will get a few stares now and then because people might be surprised to see you. I would take that in stride, check out the place, talk to people, and get a good feel for an area. I'm not saying you won't encounter racism, because (sadly) it exists everywhere. Knuckleheads populate all areas of this great country, but in some areas they are fewer and farther between.

I'm glad to hear this because the small town we live in here in New Jersey is 55% white and 45% black. There are no "black" or "white" parts of town. A lot of high school kids date interracially, and there are a lot of interracial families. It was one of the reasons we initially bought in this town 20 years ago. I was hoping that lack of racism would be the same in OK. We are a white family, but our daughter is Asian Indian -- in fact in OK she may even be assumed a Native American with her coloring. We have various skin colors in our family from the very light Irish to the somewhat dark Marshall Islandese.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Colleen, in OKC, the close-in NE side of town is historically black, but since the 70s black people live in all areas. I see many families that are interracial, and it is not a big deal. Many people adopt children of different skin colors than their own, so it is not something that someone would inquire about.

Javvi, Goodpasture mentioned the town of Wewoka on another thread. You might check that out after you finish at Langston. It is 50% white, 27% NA Indian, 20% black, and 3% other.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
God Bless anyone that has an inter-racial family. I think it is a beautiful thing and love to see the children born of an inter-racial marriage. This world needs more of this kind of love.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:14 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Vegan, and other multi-racial readers. In 1921 Tulsa had it's race riots. We've pretty well gotten over it, as far as I can see. For rural areas in eastern Oklahoma that are predominately African American take a look at the historic tribal lands and how they treated the AA's attached to their tribes after the civil war. The Cherokee tended to not recognize the AA slaves as members of the tribe. In fact you will find that within the past couple of years the Cherokee has moved to deny membership to those AA's decendents of the Cherokee Freedmen that were included by the BIA in the 1860's. The Muscogee (Creek) integrated the AA's into their tribe, giving them full citizenship. So did the Seminole. Although I personally find the votes by the Cherokee to be wrong (I am proud to say my son and daughter both voted against the move to exclude the freedmen), I think it is important to recognize reality. The atmosphere to AA's in the traditional Cherokee lands is not the best, although there are many who like and respect the AA's, there are also a number of the Cherokee that don't. On the other hand, the Creek areas, particularly south east of Tulsa (between Tulsa and Muskogee......communities such as Coweta, Red Bird, Haskell, and Porter), South of Tulsa (Okmulgee, Henryetta, Eufala) West of Tulsa (Kellyville, Bristow, Drumright, Cushing) and the areas on both sides of I-40 that are part of both the Seminole and Creek nations are very open to AA's. The area around Langston is predominately AA, the area south of Bristow along highway 48 is predominately AA farmers....there is a lot of cattle being raised there.

You have to remember that much of Oklahoma is too rocky or dry for diversified vegetable farming. The best farm land (suitable for truck farming) is going to be south east along the Arkansas River in the areas around Porter and Red Bird.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm new to Tulsa and while I like it ... I plan on moving to a more rural area within the next few years. I've lived in classic cities for far too long and I see no reason to return ... but I want to be within an hour's drive of one.

My question is... what (if anything) is different (for a middle age African American who plans to do some small farming ...) in the Oklahoma City area than Tulsa?

1. Are the people different? (If so, how?)

2. Is there any more small towns or "back woods" where blacks are farming and living in harmony with whites? (I looked at a few places in Arkansas and it looked like 1953 down "thar".)

In short, what do the areas around and outside of Oklahoma City have that Tulsa lacks? (Is one any better than the other?)
You could farm within the city limits proper of OKC....I'm a Afro-American from Tulsa that have lived in Cali/Los Angeles-Long Beach..San Francisco...Oakland..Vallejo CA at the moment , and have lived in Florida ,Virginia, Alaska,Hawaii and the Cape Cod Area Of New England.
I have been to 40 of the fifety States and OKC is one of the biggest cities Land Wises In The United States..Very Low Urban Density however , lots of land to farm until the Urban Core Grow Out To You , that is if the city government allows it.What does OKC have that Tulsa Doesn't Professional Sports and "an exciting urban core" Downtown Tulsa Is NAPTOWN at 4:00PM

Old 12-26-2009, 07:31 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default Amazing - THANK you!

I haven't checked back with this tread for some time. Forgive me ... because it's the nicest set of well-meaning, well-intentioned threads one of my post has received from any state or city. Impressive.

I'm back in California. I got laid off my last trucking job and I've been so tired that I haven't had the energy to find another interstate flatbed truckin' job. (Actually, I think it's been more a case of depression due to spending the last two years in so much isolation. But I digress...)

The California may have been hit harder than any other state. Jobs aren't coming back like they were ... well ... maybe ever. So I have to look at how I'll earn the money to fulfill my dream. One variable in the problem changes everything. Plus, I'm getting older...

I'm currently living in Silicon Valley. People are pushing me to go back into technical writing ... but I've never seen so many software engineers out of work. In short, I have to repeat Henry J. Kaiser's quote: "Every Problem is an opportunity in work clothes."

There's a LOT of opportunity throughout the country ... to do things differently now. I see more opportunity in organic gardening now than in Organic Small Farming. (Monsanto is trying to ruin all the organic farms and dairies. Farmers being sued for saving seed while the U.S. population is getting fatter, and less healthy by the day. No connection? SEE: "Food, Inc" at your local video store or library.)

I really like what IrisMGOK said and then honest reflections from eddie gein. I really loved (I can't see the next page...) the other reflections too. Many thanks to all of you. Goodpasture is certainly included.

Tulsa? It wasn't a bad place. It was just one of those towns (cities) where I never felt ... well ... I didn't feel welcomed nor unwelcomed. It just kinda lacked something. Friendliness? Many of the smaller towns to the south and east and west were far more friendly. Enjoyed them. Those were the kinds of places were I wanted to move to if I moved to Oklahoma.

But in truth, Oklahoma City did feel more dynamic. The Air Force base was there as well as the University near-by. Oklahoma weather is no-joke though. But there were days out there on the road when I pulled up the weather map and the entire country was "red" (meaning, HOT weather everywhere that day.)

Regardless of where I end up, I really appreciated getting the chance to meet your neighbors and drink a cup of coffee in some of the places you call home. Really enriched my life.

Who knows, I may have actually seen one of you. Could have stood in line at a gas station together. Stranger things have happened. Like the person who says she found a blog written by a person who sounded just like me. Heck ... it was me. Greenfred at Wordpress these days.

God bless all of you ... and I hope we all end up ... wrapped in God's arms somewhere in the center of Heaven. Till then, peace to all of you and the ones you hold dear.

Fred

Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Peace and grace Fred and very best wishes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City