Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
I own property and do business in OKC and have relatives in Tulsa. My experiences have been very different. I think it depends entirely on if you actually live there or are there on business. I have found the people in Tulsa to be nice, but not any nicer than the natives in DFW, but I have had many negative experiences in OKC.

My advice would be to not let anyone know you are from Texas and you will probably be fine.

I would argue that Oklahomans are indeed more laid back but are no more friendly than native Texans. I think both states are among the friendliest.

I strongly disagree with hiding the fact that you are from Texas. Being a dual residient, I've had no such problems from anyone in OKC after learning I live in Texas. If fact, what I've found throughout my life is for the most part, Okies have a kind of "Dallas envy." That is, many think of a trip to Dallas for shopping or a football game as a special event. Myself, having lived in DFW most of my adult life, I too am tired of it.

There is good and bad to both cities though. After returning from a trip to OKC, I get a warm "it's good to be home" feeling while driving down a new 6-8 lane Highway 114 in front of Southlake Town Center. Things are kept-up, renewed or refreshed here, whereas most infrastructure of OKC is left to decay.

Surprisingly though, you could find yourself longing for the traffic back in Dallas. I know I do. Strange as it sounds, even though there are tons more cars on the road in Big D, the drivers there are actually (mostly) aware of decent road manners. Because many Texas drivers routinely exceed the speed limits on freeways and tollways, it is generally common courtesy to leave the left lane after passing other cars. But in OKC, it's like the drivers think - oh boy! more lanes for me to creep along in. I'm not kidding. My anxiety and blood pressure rises shortly after crossing the S. Canadian River and enter Norman. It reminds me of a marching band, or back in Army basic training - a "column of threes" in lock step. So, okay fellow Okies - move over and get out of the way!

The people all over Oklahoma are freindlier though than those in the DFW Metroplex. This is not true of most of the rest of Texas though. I've also lived in Dalhart, Wichita Falls and San Angelo. I promise you, the natives of West Texas are the friendliest on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 42,267 times
People in Ok are friendlier than Texans, IMO, and I lived most of my life in Tx. OKC is much more laid back than Houston or DFW, and not nearly as congested, traffic-wise. Can't judge the singles-scene or IT job mkt for you.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:15 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,468,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedokie View Post
I strongly disagree with hiding the fact that you are from Texas. Being a dual residient, I've had no such problems from anyone in OKC after learning I live in Texas. If fact, what I've found throughout my life is for the most part, Okies have a kind of "Dallas envy." That is, many think of a trip to Dallas for shopping or a football game as a special event. Myself, having lived in DFW most of my adult life, I too am tired of it.

There is good and bad to both cities though. After returning from a trip to OKC, I get a warm "it's good to be home" feeling while driving down a new 6-8 lane Highway 114 in front of Southlake Town Center. Things are kept-up, renewed or refreshed here, whereas most infrastructure of OKC is left to decay.

Surprisingly though, you could find yourself longing for the traffic back in Dallas. I know I do. Strange as it sounds, even though there are tons more cars on the road in Big D, the drivers there are actually (mostly) aware of decent road manners. Because many Texas drivers routinely exceed the speed limits on freeways and tollways, it is generally common courtesy to leave the left lane after passing other cars. But in OKC, it's like the drivers think - oh boy! more lanes for me to creep along in. I'm not kidding. My anxiety and blood pressure rises shortly after crossing the S. Canadian River and enter Norman. It reminds me of a marching band, or back in Army basic training - a "column of threes" in lock step. So, okay fellow Okies - move over and get out of the way!

The people all over Oklahoma are freindlier though than those in the DFW Metroplex. This is not true of most of the rest of Texas though. I've also lived in Dalhart, Wichita Falls and San Angelo. I promise you, the natives of West Texas are the friendliest on Earth.
From another Okie born and bred, I think there will always be someone on the road who thinks it's their right to force fast drivers to be locked in behind those who drive speed limits. Being a fast driver, I speak from experience. I hate to admit it, but, it drives me up to a certain level of road rage. It's a shame some people are so needful of controlling another driver.... the same ones who take their time leaving a parking space if someone is waiting for the spot. They like forcing someone to wait. For those who don't agree with me, you're mistaken;. Pay attention and you'll see what I mean. LOL

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,530,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedokie View Post

>>>>>
I've found throughout my life is for the most part, Okies have a kind of "Dallas envy." That is, many think of a trip to Dallas for shopping or a football game as a special event.
<<<<<

Not me. Over ten years in DFW cured me of such foolish notions.

As for the driving, I would say that the driving/lane-hogging is essentially the same. I personally do not think that Texans or Okies are good drivers (and I'm a Born&Bred Okie!). (Best drivers I lived around were on the West Coast.) The Left-Lane Bandits as I like to call 'em are all up and down the I-35 corridor regardless of the Okie/Tejas license plates. They can surely get this ol' Okie's blood boiling! I know cause I drive from OK City to DFW about 7x a month.....I'll get stuck behind someone in the left lane for 5-10-15 minutes or more.

Also, having been raised in Oklahoma and having lived in Texas many years, I'll take the Okie hospitality any ol' day. Just my two cents....ain't worth a flip!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM

28 posts, read 145,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I've found throughout my life is for the most part, Okies have a kind of "Dallas envy." That is, many think of a trip to Dallas for shopping or a football game as a special event.
<<<<<

Not me. Over ten years in DFW cured me of such foolish notions.

As for the driving, I would say that the driving/lane-hogging is essentially the same. I personally do not think that Texans or Okies are good drivers (and I'm a Born&Bred Okie!). (Best drivers I lived around were on the West Coast.) The Left-Lane Bandits as I like to call 'em are all up and down the I-35 corridor regardless of the Okie/Tejas license plates. They can surely get this ol' Okie's blood boiling! I know cause I drive from OK City to DFW about 7x a month.....I'll get stuck behind someone in the left lane for 5-10-15 minutes or more.

Also, having been raised in Oklahoma and having lived in Texas many years, I'll take the Okie hospitality any ol' day. Just my two cents....ain't worth a flip!
I just got into Oklahoma City a few days ago and I must say that it's quite different. I love this place so far, and I have not regretted it. I don't think there will be a honeymoon period with my move.

I do like the term you used, "Left-Lane Bandits." When I was driving from Oregon, I noticed this when more and more when I got to Oklahoma City. I'm now getting use to the Oklahoma City driving where more people don't signal before changing lanes, like to ride bumper-to-bumper, occupying the left lane and everything else. I've noticed this in Portland, Los Angeles, Francisco, Seattle and every bigger city on the west coast. But I have noticed the better difference on the freeways outside of town more on the west coast.

Something that scared the out of me I was just entering and driving in Oklahoma about four nights ago. It was warmish (43F), and dry on the highway roads, and all of a sudden I hit an ice patch almost a mile long! I must have skidded 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile. I got into the oncoming lane, and I was just thankful no one else was on the road. I managed to regain control of my car without wrecking it. I took it easy going about 30MPH, but I hit three more ice patches, so I called it a night and got a hotel room. I got into the room, and found out there was a severe storm for that night. I hope this isn't normal weather.

I've use to driving on black ice at night, and horrible conditions but this really scared the out me because it caught me off guard. Here I was thinking, "Wow, this is nice weather. I'm glad I made the right decision to continue driving. Man this song kicks ass. ICE, OH OH OH !!!"

Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,530,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOROKC View Post
I just got into Oklahoma City a few days ago and I must say that it's quite different. I love this place so far, and I have not regretted it. I don't think there will be a honeymoon period with my move.

I do like the term you used, "Left-Lane Bandits." When I was driving from Oregon, I noticed this when more and more when I got to Oklahoma City. I'm now getting use to the Oklahoma City driving where more people don't signal before changing lanes, like to ride bumper-to-bumper, occupying the left lane and everything else. I've noticed this in Portland, Los Angeles, Francisco, Seattle and every bigger city on the west coast. But I have noticed the better difference on the freeways outside of town more on the west coast.

Something that scared the out of me I was just entering and driving in Oklahoma about four nights ago. It was warmish (43F), and dry on the highway roads, and all of a sudden I hit an ice patch almost a mile long! I must have skidded 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile. I got into the oncoming lane, and I was just thankful no one else was on the road. I managed to regain control of my car without wrecking it. I took it easy going about 30MPH, but I hit three more ice patches, so I called it a night and got a hotel room. I got into the room, and found out there was a severe storm for that night. I hope this isn't normal weather.

I've use to driving on black ice at night, and horrible conditions but this really scared the out me because it caught me off guard. Here I was thinking, "Wow, this is nice weather. I'm glad I made the right decision to continue driving. Man this song kicks ass. ICE, OH OH OH !!!"
>>>>>
But I have noticed the better difference on the freeways outside of town more on the west coast.
<<<<<

^^^
This right here.

Yeh, Oklahoma doesn't really have the plows/sanding trucks that you need to get rid of a lot of leftover ice. Every once in a while ice patches/slicks will be left on otherwise seemingly clear and drivable roads.

>>>>>
Man this song kicks ass.
<<<<<

I'm guessing Merle Haggard was coming through loud and clear.

MERLE HAGGARD - Okie From Muskogee - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,952 times
Default Might be interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've been lurking here for about a week and have looked at past threads but haven't found answers to all of my questions.

Basically I'm sick of DFW; sick of the work culture, sick of the environment, sick of all of it. Mostly I'm sick of the people. Are people in OKC friendlier or more laid-back than people here?

What's the job market like in tech? I have about 15 years of experience in I.T. and I work mainly with databases.

I'm female, divorced, in my late 30s. How hard it is it to meet people? I am not Christian so meeting people at church is out. I don't know anyone in OKC.

Thank you!

I was on the Devon website just 5 minutes ago (I'm looking to move to Okc as well) and saw they had a listing for a Manager, IT Training that you might be interested in. Here's the link https://www.devonenergy.apply2jobs.c...&CurrentPage=1

Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,469,914 times
Noticeably easier to get a job in Oklahoma, not as much competition and employers seem more willing to let people do related work. That being said, pay is much lower, i.e. say $20k or so for an equivalent IT position. Also, things vary by person, but my cost of living isn't any lower in OKC than DFW.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 48,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I am not Christian so meeting people at church is out. I don't know anyone in OKC.

Thank you!
You had me at "not Christian".

Hey I'm also a non-christian divorced IT person in his late 30's... we should totally hang out.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus39 View Post
You had me at "not Christian".

Hey I'm also a non-christian divorced IT person in his late 30's... we should totally hang out.
If I make it up there anytime soon, sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City