Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 AM

12 posts, read 74,051 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer at Tinker Air Force Base and am considering the move. I live in the Southeast now but have only been to Oklahoma City once when I was younger. So I'm not too familiar with the city. But I've been impressed with what I've heard about OKC and what I remember from my one and only visit.

I'd like to find someplace close to the base. I understand Tinker is near Midwest City but I've heard that there is a lot of crime in this area. Right now at my current job I have to drive 20 miles to work one way. It's at an Air Station out in the middle of nowhere. Although it's an easy drive since it is on a rural highway. I wish I could live closer to my next job but I also want a nice, safe suburb.

A bit about me: This will be my second job out of college. So I'm making decent money but not a lot left over since I've only been in the professional world two years now. I'm single without kids and will be relocating to Oklahoma City on my own. I do enjoy the nightlife but usually don't go out during the week. So it's not neccessary for me to live in a happenin' location, haha. I'd rather be closer to work (or else have an easier commute) than near the downtown hangout locations. If I could avoid sitting in traffic jams that would be great too. Roommates would be alright but I had intended to rent either a one or two bedroom apartment on my own.

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Choctaw is closest.....then
Moore
Harrah
Edmond
Norman
Shawnee

(there are a few smaller towns in there that I didn't mention)

Shawnee may not be closer than the western OKC suburbs but is an easier commute.

Norman and Edmond are the two best fits to your demographic of the suburbs.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I wouldn't strive to leave particularly close to Tinker. I've lived in 2 cities with major bases and in both cases, residential areas around the bases were pretty trashed. I don't know if it's the transient lifestyle, or what.

With the area being as spread out as it is and interconnected with interstates going in pretty much all directions, you could live in west OKC by the airport and make it to work at Tinker in 10 to 15 minutes unless you got caught up in a traffic jam. OKC is amazingly easy to get around in.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Just for reference. There are plenty of tools available to find out plenty of information about practically anywhere in the country.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

If you combine these three tools, you can get a decently accurate picture of where someone would want to live. They show crime rates, incomes, quality of school, and level of diversity.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
Honestly downtown is probably the best combination of "nice" and "close" to Tinker AFB at 9 miles. Otherwise maybe Choctaw or Moore. Norman is far better than both and Sooner Road makes it an OK commute.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 53,232 times
Minnesotajen,

I have worked at Tinker AFB for the last three years (soon moving to LA), and I have lived in Norman, Oklahoma for the last two and a half years. Prior to living in Norman I lived in Mid-West City right outside the base. Since you are single with no kids, I definitely recommend you check out the Norman location because of the night life. I live on the East side of Norman about two miles from the University of Oklahoma's college campus. I commute roughly 20-30 minutes to work every morning up Sooner Ave, which turns into 12th Ave when you get close to the AF base.

In my opinion, Norman is probably the trendiest town in Oklahoma. There are plenty of different people, restaurants, and things to do in Norman because of the large college population that lives here. The area around campus is great for bicycling too. If you have any questions about the area let me know, I would be happy to answer them.

Good Luck

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
There are upscale neighborhoods in Midwest City and nice people live there, plus plenty of regular neighborhoods with families, schools, stores and all that is everywhere. Yes, there is crime. There is also crime in Norman Oklahoma. Whether or not it is trendy crime, I don't know.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM

46 posts, read 178,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Choctaw is closest.....then
Moore
Harrah
Edmond
Norman
Shawnee

(there are a few smaller towns in there that I didn't mention)

Shawnee may not be closer than the western OKC suburbs but is an easier commute.

Norman and Edmond are the two best fits to your demographic of the suburbs.

Nice choices.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
There are upscale neighborhoods in Midwest City and nice people live there, plus plenty of regular neighborhoods with families, schools, stores and all that is everywhere. Yes, there is crime. There is also crime in Norman Oklahoma. Whether or not it is trendy crime, I don't know.
Definitely not trendy crime in Midwest City...

Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Oh and I forgot, the 20-30 minute commute every morning and every evening is virtually traffic free going up and down Sooner/12th. Judging from the description you gave of yourself, you won't be happy if you move to Midwest City, simply because there isn't much to do. If you decide to live in Edmond you will fight traffic traveling the freeways, and the same goes if you live downtown.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Again, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City