Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times

Advertisements

This is in today's Washington Post.

Health insurance mandate faces huge resistance in Oklahoma - The Washington Post

20-30% of the population does not carry auto insurance . Seriously? Does that mean that everybody else pays through the roof?

1 in 5 do not have health insurance. Yet people are aggressively against the idea of a national health care system?

I know I said I won't post in the ok forums any more but this is a different topic than what OKC offers as a city and kind of concerning to me.

I have never thought much about OK, but the more research I do about the place, the more I think the state has a lot of issues.

Read the comments on that article. If you dare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 AM

498 posts, read 1,605,785 times
Texas leads the nation in the number of people without health insurance. Not sure why The Washington Post zeroed in on our state.

A national healthcare system is not the answer. Neither is private health care. This is a problem which the U.S. as a whole should think outside the box. Socializing health care is not sustainable financially in the long run with the current health crisis being faced by the entire nation, and private health care is an inflating disaster.

The question universal health care opponents and proponents should be asking is this... what solution will bring balance to our health care system that will make it sustainable and maintain the quality of medical facilities, physician and research in the world? It's a tough question to answer, and there are a million variables to consider.

People can call out Oklahoma all they want and blame our state's culture, exercise and eating habits for our high obesity rate. But here's the problem... in 1985, Oklahoma's obesity rate was less than 8%. In the 1970s, there wasn't an obesity rate to even track. What were Oklahomans doing back then that they aren't today? In fact, go to any state in the country in the 1970s and try to find an obesity epidemic. It didn't exist. Neither did all of the fad diets.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 AM

116 posts, read 251,087 times
well i dont know about auto insurance but health insurance can be extrememly expensive and most ppl cant afford health insurance.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Texas leads the nation in the number of people without health insurance. Not sure why The Washington Post zeroed in on our state.
I drive 50k miles a year and TX is the only place I have been hit by an uninsured motorist. It was quite annoying to say the least.

According to this TX is 27th and OK is 3rd.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/03/...car-insurance/

So everybody else does pay for it. OK is more expensive than Maryland and even DC!

Last edited by kcmo; 07-30-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
A national healthcare system is not the answer. Neither is private health care. This is a problem which the U.S. as a whole should think outside the box. Socializing health care is not sustainable financially in the long run with the current health crisis being faced by the entire nation, and private health care is an inflating disaster.

The question universal health care opponents and proponents should be asking is this... what solution will bring balance to our health care system that will make it sustainable and maintain the quality of medical facilities, physician and research in the world? It's a tough question to answer, and there are a million variables to consider.
Please, stop eating up the Repub blather. The entire rest of the developed world has some form of national healthcare and isn’t imploding from it. Romney just yesterday praised Israel’s popular national healthcare system, that in fact has a insurance mandate. We spend far more on healthcare than any other country on a per capital and percentage of GDP basis and we don’t cover 20% of the population and have some of the worst outcomes in the developed world. Why? We have made healthcare a profit center in the economy. We have to refocus the system to take care of health instead of earning money and we need to control costs and care in a uniform fashion. We are all in this together, we need to start acting like it.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM

Inusured drivers are a high percentage, but not sure where Texas ranks. My monthly premium for two cars, one 2011 and one 2001, in Texas is $158. A recent quote for me in in OKC was $143, not much cheaper. However, I because of commuting, I will save $120 a month in gas because the commute to my perspective employer in OKC will only be 12 miles. Now, on the flip side, my registration in Oklahoma will be $91 for one car and $81 for the older car, but no vehicle inspection.

In Texas, registration for both vehicles is $62.50 each. Vehicles inspections are $39.50 for each vehicle. So I save ~$30 in Oklahoma. Home owners insurance will be about the same.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Please, stop eating up the Repub blather. The entire rest of the developed world has some form of national healthcare and isn’t imploding from it. Romney just yesterday praised Israel’s popular national healthcare system, that in fact has a insurance mandate. We spend far more on healthcare than any other country on a per capital and percentage of GDP basis and we don’t cover 20% of the population and have some of the worst outcomes in the developed world. Why? We have made healthcare a profit center in the economy. We have to refocus the system to take care of health instead of earning money and we need to control costs and care in a uniform fashion. We are all in this together, we need to start acting like it.
Swake, I don't buy into the Repub BS. Neither the Democrat. Both systems are not perfect systems. I said we need to think outside the box. It looks like both you and I are on the same page as far as what needs to be done, only my point is we should avoid going in on direction or another.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I drive 50k miles a year and TX is the only place I have been hit by an uninsured motorist. It was quite annoying to say the least.

According to this TX is 27th and OK is 3rd.

Most Expensive, Cheapest States for Car Insurance - DailyFinance

So everybody else does pay for it. OK is more expensive than Maryland and even DC!
This has far more to do with this area's massive number of weather-related claims. We are in the "disaster belt" after all.

I have at least 2 people in my office who have had 3 hails claims on their cars in the past 4 years. This is not at all uncommon.

Oklahoma is just an expensive place to insure, whether its auto, renters, or homeowners. Its one of the few things thats more here than most places.

As for healthcare, I'm not wading into that. That's what the politics section is for.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
This has far more to do with this area's massive number of weather-related claims. We are in the "disaster belt" after all.

I have at least 2 people in my office who have had 3 hails claims on their cars in the past 4 years. This is not at all uncommon.

Oklahoma is just an expensive place to insure, whether its auto, renters, or homeowners. Its one of the few things thats more here than most places.

As for healthcare, I'm not wading into that. That's what the politics section is for.
The hail claims are astronomical. That's for sure. My car and one of my sons have had our cars hit twice in the last 2 years. The May 29th hail storm, pretty much wiped out tons of cars in the metro. When hail is the size of softballs, there's no hiding from it. I was under a gas station awning, trying to save my car, but it was blowing in sideways. There were so many people around me, I couldn't move my car at all to get out of the way.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Sideways flying softball size hail? Good lord. No wonder people there pray a lot Regardless, this doesn't not really explain why so many people don't carry auto insurance at all.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-30-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City