Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,898 times

Advertisements

OCU's boathouse: First of three more

By Bryan Dean

Oklahoma City University will build a $10 million boathouse along the bank of the Oklahoma River, the first in a series of three collegiate boathouses which city leaders hope will make Oklahoma City a world destination for rowing, officials said Monday.

The OCU boathouse, which should be built by fall 2009, will be just east of the Lincoln Boulevard bridge near the finish line for rowing events such as this weekend's Head of the Oklahoma Centennial Regatta.

Rand Elliot, lead architect for the Chesapeake Boat

house at Regatta Park, also will design the OCU boat

house.

The OCU boathouse will feature a training center which OCU officials hope will lure the world's best rowers. OCU, through the efforts of rowing coach Mike Knopp, has led the development of rowing on the Oklahoma River.

Knopp, who also serves as director of the Head of the Oklahoma City Regatta, said the training center will serve more than just OCU rowers.

"We'd love to have teams from all over the world choose to come to Oklahoma City not only to race but also to train,” Knopp said. "The way we have planned and designed this facility, when you take it in combination with the Chesapeake Boathouse, it is going to rival anything else in the world.”

City officials said the University of Oklahoma and the University of Central Oklahoma are planning to build boathouses along the river bank in an area city leaders will call "boathouse row.” Further details about the OU and UCO boathouses have not been released.

OCU President Tom McDaniel said all three universities are coordinating to build boathouses which will work in conjunction with the Chesapeake Boathouse to make the Oklahoma River a more popular rowing venue.

"It's inspirational to me that all three of our universities have been cooperative,” McDaniel said "We are each looking for facilities that would not compete or duplicate each other, but be compatible.”

OCU's boathouse will include indoor seating with a view of the regatta finish line and an outdoor performing arts area.

It also will include a storage area for OCU's growing varsity rowing program. "The Chesapeake Boathouse has been open a year and a half and it's already at the point where it is full,” Knopp said. "With the expansion of our collegiate programs, the need is definitely there for more boathouses.”

McDaniel and Oklahoma City Mayor **** Cornett credited Knopp for leading the development of rowing along the river. But Knopp said making the river into a world-class venue would not be possible without the cooperation of OU, UCO and other community leaders.

"We believe everyone working together can create a venue that would far surpass anything that we could do individually,” Knopp said. "We see each boathouse really complementing one another.”

Elliot will also be involved in the design of the OU and UCO boathouses, city officials said.

Cornett said it is no exaggeration to predict Oklahoma City could become the pre-eminent rowing destination in the world.

RENDERING OF OCU BOATHOUSE

http://chronicle.com/photos/2007/10/20071010.jpg (broken link)

CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR A GREAT VIDEO:

Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org (http://www.chesapeakeboathouse.org/index2.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
Good Lord...They are going to spend 10 million!! The Chesapeake boathouse was like 3.5 million. This is getting crazy. I graduated from OCU. Go Stars!
Here is the link you were trying to post....

Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org (http://www.chesapeakeboathouse.org/index2.html - broken link)

click videos...then press close and choose another pic for other videos.
Good post!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
Nice article GinoG. It's funny that it was **** Cornett.

We went to the Worldfest, which I would recommend to any person who has to buy Christmas presents. It does cost $5 to get in, but the quality of product is very good, the prices are good, and it is for a good cause. I bought many gifts for Christmas.

The regatta was fantastic to me. I had not been in the boathouse area, and it was all just amazing. I will try to post some pictures in the morning. If anyone doesn't have plans already, I would recommend going to the regatta.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Here is one picture of the Worldfest, some of Bricktown & the canal, and some of the regatta area as they were preparing for the night races:

oklahoma regatta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11441121@N04/sets/72157602395305064/ - broken link)

Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Here is one picture of the Worldfest, some of Bricktown & the canal, and some of the regatta area as they were preparing for the night races:

oklahoma regatta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11441121@N04/sets/72157602395305064/ - broken link)
Nice pics Peggy...I like how you caught the LED lights under one of the bridges. The idea came from Rand and more bridges will have the same application soon! They will be stunning when completed.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Thanks, Happy. I would have liked to stay to watch the races at night, but we had to get back home. The lights would have been beautiful.

The rowers were from all over the US and the world. I saw something about the Georgia team on the scoreboard from the morning's races, and thought the team was from the US, then later we realized they were from the country of Georgia! OKC really showed off well for the visitors. I'll bet they were impressed. Everything looked so nice downtown, and the weather has been absolutely wonderful. In the picture of the hotel, you can see some rowing outfits hung out to dry on the balcony. They probably were dry in 20 minutes.

Since this was an international event of importance, as least in the sports world, does this make OKC more cosmopolitan?

We were wondering about the area that is for parking at the Boathouse. My DH thought it was a remnant of Mulligan Flats, but I thought it was Sandtown.

I read this interesting link about Sandtown:
Home

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 AM

Darn it I erased my original very long message. So i will give a quick response.
Your pics...I just thought I would say...so far the sculptures for the landrun came out with much better quallity and detail then I was expecting. I dont know if you noticed that or not but they were very well done...thankfully. Nice and smooth with a lot of interesting detail. Paul Moore is the artist and is an artist in residence at OU. I kinda was not expecting it.

The river in OKC is of course four land locked lakes w/dams as you prob well know. Close to downtown and the water being nice and smooth...the river being so long and large gives it an advantage over more sophisticated cities around the world so it prob adds to a more 'cosmo' environment. But the US Open like in my second hometown...Tulsa...gets the same attention.

Sandtown...WOW...You would have to be a true Okie Citian to know that info! I have no clue. I usually walk along the canal w/my wife and meander over to the boathouse and park elsewhere. I do know that many poor black villages had houses with sand floors along the river so maybe that is where it stems from. location...You got me there. It would prob take an OKC historian and and a crew of others to figure that out.The neighborhoods near the parking will be destroyed...Too ugly and cant keep the image. Very enlightening. The best..happy

Last edited by happytown; 10-14-2007 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 AM

I think the sculptures are very well done. I saw some horse sculpture near Dallas years ago and these compare very well. Maybe the sculptor was the same? I have visited that foundry in Norman, I think. The Dallas sculptures were in a more confined space, and when the sculptures on the canal are all in place it will be very impressive. There are supposed to be about 40 pieces in all when complete.

I hate it when I erase a message. Especially with pics.

I meant OKC is more cosmo than it used to be. Tulsa and OKC are two different cities going through different phases. I like to compare sometimes, but I like Tulsa just fine.

It's a beautiful day!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Hey, somebody give Happy some rep points! I can't right now. He is almost at the century mark. I think I messed up the other night.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
OH no!!!! I had given rep to a few people yesterday so I figured it'd work. But alas, still have to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City