Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,820 times

Advertisements

I am in Highschool. (Freshman) and live in OKC but go to an outter city school.

Firsthand, Everyschool has problems and no school is great. I have friends that go to Moore, Yukon, Edmond...etc.

And theyre schools have problems. Drugs, Drinks, Pills, etc. And i think that thats at almost everyschool.

Being in a Public school with a Private school feel i know that its not the school but its the people that you hang around. And also education does come first. And OKC schools education level I dont think is as high as Yukon, Mustang, Piedmont, Deer Creek, Edmond, Normans. And im saying that like their ACT scores. etc.

But you can live in OKC and go to one of these schools. NW okc doesnt go to OKC schools. Putnam city, Piedmont, Deer Creek.

But if you need any help just message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
The problem isn't the schools but the culture in Oklahoma. Sports takes precedence over academics there with the exception of a few schools. The NBC show "Friday Night Lights" speaks about Oklahoma just as much as it does Texas. It negatively impacts education in an indirect way. When your classmates don't aspire to attend competitive colleges or even college at all, it does impact the environment and teaching. The work load is lighter. Not much is asked of the students. I didn't even think the private schools were that strong or comparable to private schools in larger cities.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem isn't the schools but the culture in Oklahoma. Sports takes precedence over academics there with the exception of a few schools. The NBC show "Friday Night Lights" speaks about Oklahoma just as much as it does Texas. It negatively impacts education in an indirect way. When your classmates don't aspire to attend competitive colleges or even college at all, it does impact the environment and teaching. The work load is lighter. Not much is asked of the students. I didn't even think the private schools were that strong or comparable to private schools in larger cities.
>>>>>
The problem isn't the schools but the culture in Oklahoma.
<<<<<

All the Okies I know are totally fine with the culture and don't want to change it.

If someone wants to excel academically and aim for a so-called better and more cultured way of life there are plenty of opportunities.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
The cause is the culture, the result is a substandard educational system (created by educational personnel from Oklahoma). It is hard to get a good math education when your child has a sports oriented, Oklahoma raised and educated teacher who never thought math was important and can't even do the math he is trying to teach. For example, my daughter's 4th grade teacher has taught for several years in a row that a minute has 100 seconds. When I put my children in school I was planning on making up for deficiencies. I was't planning on having to unteach errors taught by teachers who couldn't pass the grade level they are teaching.

I don't want to insult all the excellent teachers in Oklahoma. There are many good teachers who have my respect (some were even educated in Oklahoma). There just seems to be a large number who are in way over their heads and aren't smart enough to figure it out!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SanityInEd View Post
The cause is the culture, the result is a substandard educational system (created by educational personnel from Oklahoma). It is hard to get a good math education when your child has a sports oriented, Oklahoma raised and educated teacher who never thought math was important and can't even do the math he is trying to teach. For example, my daughter's 4th grade teacher has taught for several years in a row that a minute has 100 seconds. When I put my children in school I was planning on making up for deficiencies. I was't planning on having to unteach errors taught by teachers who couldn't pass the grade level they are teaching.

I don't want to insult all the excellent teachers in Oklahoma. There are many good teachers who have my respect (some were even educated in Oklahoma). There just seems to be a large number who are in way over their heads and aren't smart enough to figure it out!
>>>>>
some were even educated in Oklahoma
<<<<<

Well Tarnation!!! I guess them there teachers found a way to just rise above there 'ol Okie raisin'!............

I know you were trying to be balanced, but your statement is so narcissistic and myopic all I could do is laugh. Thank you.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 03-30-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 45,787 times
Question Tuttle and Piedmont Schools???

My husband was recently transferred with his company to OKC. We have been searching for a nice community with land. Can anyone tell me about the schools in Tuttle, Piedmont, and Mustang? Middle and High Schools How safe are they? Thanks for any info.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,796,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGirlie View Post
My husband was recently transferred with his company to OKC. We have been searching for a nice community with land. Can anyone tell me about the schools in Tuttle, Piedmont, and Mustang? Middle and High Schools How safe are they? Thanks for any info.
My daughter is a Junior at Mustang High School. I'm not sure when you mean by "safe". There are the usual high school issues with some drugs, sex, etc., but it's been a while since a teacher was taken out.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM

22 posts, read 81,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGirlie View Post
Our family has lived in Norman for over 15 years and while I don't know a great deal about Tuttle, Piedmont or Mustang I can share some basic information that may help. Mustang is a 6A school, the largest in Oklahoma. Tuttle and Piedmont are both 4A. Mustang is probably almost three times the size Tuttle. Both of those cities have grown tremendously since we first moved here. All three towns have a different feel about them so you would want to visit each of them before deciding on a move. I'm sure each school has had some problems but I have never heard anything to indicate that any of these schools would be considered unsafe.

I would suggest checking out the website for each school district along with checking out the Oklahoma State Department of Education website (http://sde.state.ok.us/). Greatschools will also give you a decent overview with parental input to boot. Other sites have also been mentioned in this thread that will assist you in researching various schools. When we moved to Oklahoma we picked the school district first, the best schools in that district for our children, then we picked a house. We wanted a little room and found a great subdivision where each homes sits on anywhere from 2-5 acres.

As for the state of education in Oklahoma - our daughter attended Norman Public Schools from 2-12 grades while our son completed k-12. Both are now in college; our daughter has an academic scholarship (a broadcasting major/minor in PR at Cameron University) while our son received academic & wrestling scholarships (a civil engineering major at Colorado School of Mines). Oklahoma isn't reknown for its' education but it does have pockets of good to very good schools. Both of our kids were athletes; our daughter lettered in volleyball and track while our son lettered in football, wrestling, and track. Both took numerous advanced and AP classes during high school and both also graduated with honors. I think any child, any where, needs to have active parent involvement to get them through school, especially if you are hoping for any type of college scholarship. As with any school, in any state, it is finding a balance that works for your family.

You are moving from where, what state? How much of a rural feel are you looking for when you say "land" - a few acres, 50+? There are quite a few areas in the greater OKC area that have homes on acerage. Is commute time for your husband an issue? Oklahoma is a great place to raise your children and being an active participant in their education is always a good thing.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 AM

22 posts, read 81,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SanityInEd View Post

What was the principal's response to this issue? And if you did not receive the help you needed from him/her, what did the superintendent, or other administrative rep, say to this issue? If this has gone on for years then something has been put on paper that can be sent to Sandy Garrett's office in the Department of Education. What is the result of your follow through? Has anyone outside of school done anything about this 'problem'?

I was born, raised, and educated on the east coast but have taught in Oklahoma for a number of years. I feel that your statement implies that the majority of teachers are inept and have no business teaching. The vast majority of teachers I know are highly qualified and love teaching despite the dismal pay they receive. Making such a blanket statement about teachers either from or educated in Oklahoma is just wrong. If you are in a district with so many teachers that are not educated enough to be in the classroom then I hope you have taken the steps needed to shake the district to the core. If you are in a district with one teacher who is sub-par then I hope you have taken the steps needed to have that teacher removed. But please, do not judge thousands of professionals due to your experience with one teacher or one school.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 45,787 times
Question OKC schools and neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711mum View Post
Our family has lived in Norman for over 15 years and while I don't know a great deal about Tuttle, Piedmont or Mustang I can share some basic information that may help. Mustang is a 6A school, the largest in Oklahoma. Tuttle and Piedmont are both 4A. Mustang is probably almost three times the size Tuttle. Both of those cities have grown tremendously since we first moved here. All three towns have a different feel about them so you would want to visit each of them before deciding on a move. I'm sure each school has had some problems but I have never heard anything to indicate that any of these schools would be considered unsafe.

I would suggest checking out the website for each school district along with checking out the Oklahoma State Department of Education website (http://sde.state.ok.us/). Greatschools will also give you a decent overview with parental input to boot. Other sites have also been mentioned in this thread that will assist you in researching various schools. When we moved to Oklahoma we picked the school district first, the best schools in that district for our children, then we picked a house. We wanted a little room and found a great subdivision where each homes sits on anywhere from 2-5 acres.

As for the state of education in Oklahoma - our daughter attended Norman Public Schools from 2-12 grades while our son completed k-12. Both are now in college; our daughter has an academic scholarship (a broadcasting major/minor in PR at Cameron University) while our son received academic & wrestling scholarships (a civil engineering major at Colorado School of Mines). Oklahoma isn't reknown for its' education but it does have pockets of good to very good schools. Both of our kids were athletes; our daughter lettered in volleyball and track while our son lettered in football, wrestling, and track. Both took numerous advanced and AP classes during high school and both also graduated with honors. I think any child, any where, needs to have active parent involvement to get them through school, especially if you are hoping for any type of college scholarship. As with any school, in any state, it is finding a balance that works for your family.

You are moving from where, what state? How much of a rural feel are you looking for when you say "land" - a few acres, 50+? There are quite a few areas in the greater OKC area that have homes on acerage. Is commute time for your husband an issue? Oklahoma is a great place to raise your children and being an active participant in their education is always a good thing.
I completely agree that being actively involved in our childrens education is a must. Both of our children are honor students and our youngest is in football and wrestling.

What I meant by "how safe are the schools?" was, Is there gang activity? How often are the police called? Security? things such as that. We have three local public high schools and one private high school in our city that we live in now and two of the public high schools have a great deal of gang activity and it is not uncommon for the police to be called often. We were planning on sending our kids tp the private school as this school offers several AP classes and the sports program is excellent... with no gang activity. Our kids are in public middle school now and we are all for public schools so long as they meet this criteria.

We are moving from Iowa. We would like at least 1 acre of land in a nice community. I was asking about Piedmont and Tuttle because my husband has found some nice homes with acreage. I know nothing about these cities and we definately dont want to be so far out that it makes us feel isolated.

That said, What cities are prone to flooding? We are near the Mississippi River and it floods every Spring as do most of the creeks on occasion. Having grown up here, you just know which neighborhoods to avoid buying homes in if you do not want to deal with flooding. Are the tornadoes that bad? We are included in tornado alley in the city we live in now in Iowa however, we have basements which has always made us feel pretty safe.

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City