Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,339 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I wanted to get some idea about the diversity in the OKC metro area. How welcoming are the locals to other cultures? How often do you hear different languages being spoken around you?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM

793 posts, read 1,115,301 times
Hi! I would think OKC is fairly diverse and quite welcoming. I often hear Spanish and, to a lesser extent, Vietnamese. Where I live in central OKC, the population is about 59% White, 15% Black, 6% Asian, 5% Native American, and 19% Other/2 or more races. And of that population, 23% are Latino.

Data for Oklahoma House District 88:
https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_Hou...es_District_88

Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,339 times
OKC is a huge area geographically. Your question depends highly on the area of OKC you are in. I used to work near Douglass HS off MLK. It is thought of as a more "diverse" school. But I drove by it every day for years and never saw a White, Asian, or Hispanic student. My kids used to go to Mustang schools which are thought of as being more suburban and "white". But they had Asian, Middle Eastern, African American, Caucasian, and other students in their classes. Just depends on where you are in OKC and what your expectations of "diverse" are. If you want a true cross section of society look to the suburbs. People are moving out there for a reason. You will get a sampling of everyone who wants a better school for their kids. Hot tip: all races want better for their kids. Also as far as diversity is concerned, the areas that are criticized for lack of diversity will never get better if people of color stay away because there are too many "white" people.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 AM

171 posts, read 190,683 times
Unless you hang around OSU/OU campus, OKC is the last place to look for diversity lol

Dallas Metro on the other hand has had ALLOT of diversity influx in the last several years due to a MUCH BETTER economy and job opportunities.

Facts are facts !!!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:16 PM

^ No, of cities more than 300,000 residents, OKC ranks 31st in diversity (based on ethnoracial, linguistic, and birthplace diversity) out of 60. So there are 29 other cities to look for with less diversity, the last being Detroit. And of course DFW would have more diversity, it's the 4th largest metro in the US and more than 5X larger than the OKC metro.

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

Facts are facts, right?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
^ No, of cities more than 300,000 residents, OKC ranks 31st in diversity (based on ethnoracial, linguistic, and birthplace diversity) out of 60. So there are 29 other cities to look for with less diversity, the last being Detroit. And of course DFW would have more diversity, it's the 4th largest metro in the US and more than 5X larger than the OKC metro.

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

Facts are facts, right?

LMAO Really showing "Facts" from a diversity survey from wallethub ?? Show me a US GOV census report, THAT I will give credit to

While I was on contract for 5 years in OKC, All I saw there was a majority of Caucasian, Native American, Mexican, African-American people. Those few that I met who were from a different country were attending a local College/University and most told me once they got their degree, They were moving to a bigger better city or returning to their home country lol. Wait ?? What ?? Leaving Oklahoma ???. So no one wants to stay in OK with a degree and earn peanuts for a salary ??? (Teachers....caugh, caugh)

Due to my line of work, I have lived/Worked in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago and I visit Dallas twice a month. I have traveled around in my life and from what I experienced and saw with my eyes Oklahoma is NOT A DIVERSE state at all !!!!

PERIOD

Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 PM

^ Data used to create the rankings were obtained from the US Census Bureau.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
^ Data used to create the rankings were obtained from the US Census Bureau.

???

"WalletHub’s data team took a snapshot of America’s current cultural profile — comparing 501 of the largest U.S. cities across three key indicators of cultural diversity — to determine the most multifaceted of the bunch. We examined each city based on ethnicity and race, language and birthplace. Read on for our findings, expert insight from a panel of researchers and a full description of our methodology"

Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
???

"WalletHub’s data team took a snapshot of America’s current cultural profile — comparing 501 of the largest U.S. cities across three key indicators of cultural diversity — to determine the most multifaceted of the bunch. We examined each city based on ethnicity and race, language and birthplace. Read on for our findings, expert insight from a panel of researchers and a full description of our methodology"
"Sources: Data used to create these rankings were obtained from the U.S. Census Bureau."

Under 'Methodology'.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,606,541 times
Well ladies and gentlemen it is what it is (Oklahoma City ) and (Tulsa Oklahoma) for that matter , will not be among the Top Tier Cities ( neither will they) be among the bottom dwellers concerning diversity and G.O.Life.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City