Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you go without AC in OKC?
Yes--OKC summers are a dry heat, not too bad. 4 12.50%
No--OKC summers may not be as bad as Florida but still hot! 28 87.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 AM

24,674 posts, read 11,011,123 times

Advertisements

Mid 60s right now with 80 in the forecast for 17:00. Time for long johns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,976,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He says he made it through last winter without heat, but last winter was really mild. I live in California, but I was in OKC for Christmas and it was actually warmer than SoCal. But as we all know, Oklahoma does not have a very mild winter and then a nice mild summer every year.
No, I never said I made it through OKC winter without heat. I was saying that, by your own tolerance of a winter temperature of 60F indoors, you wouldn't need heat in my first floor apartment in Mustang. I want my indoor temp at 67, so yes, I did use hear sometimes.

And you really think you can judge last winter in Oklahoma just by a week or so in Oklahoma? Oklahoma has very warm winter spells every winter, no surprise. Last winter definitely got colder in January and February. The reason why there wasn't that much snow last winter was not because it was too warm but because it was too dry. Plenty of days where it was plenty cold in OKC but it was during a dry spell, so no snow.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's another thing that is different here compared to there. You don't get third degree burns when you grab your steering wheel.

Cycling in Tucson. Lived there in the '80s and used to ride with the team out of Fairwheel Bikes on 6th street. I think they still do the big shootout down Mission Road on Saturday mornings to this day.

I had to work at 8 AM. I had to ride in the evenings. I still remember riding to Colossal Cave when Tucson set a then record heat of 112 degrees. Brutal.

We road some Sunday afternoons in Oklahoma summer that reminded me of Tucson but nobody dared ride any distance in Tucson at mid day.

People in most places have no idea how intense the sun is out there compared to even here in Oklahoma.
Right. Oklahoma has more humidity, but people forget that the sun intensity also plays a huge role in how hot it feels.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:15 PM

14,367 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
And you really think you can judge last winter in Oklahoma just by a week or so in Oklahoma? Oklahoma has very warm winter spells every winter, no surprise. Last winter definitely got colder in January and February. The reason why there wasn't that much snow last winter was not because it was too warm but because it was too dry. Plenty of days where it was plenty cold in OKC but it was during a dry spell, so no snow.
You're denying that last winter was milder than usual in Oklahoma? December, January, February and March were all above normal temperatures.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:06 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,767,264 times
Quote:
You're denying that last winter was milder than usual in Oklahoma? December, January, February and March were all above normal temperatures.
One winter in Oklahoma and the Jester thinks he's an expert...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/okla...-oklahoma.html

Old 08-07-2020, 11:12 PM

8,542 posts, read 4,779,870 times
Eek. At home, no I don’t think it’s possible. OKC isn’t vastly different from East Texas, and seeing as how homes have been built to take advantage of AC for decades, naw, I don’t think it’s viable.

But, it’s interesting because when I moved from CA, where neither our 1960s house nor my ‘68 Mustang, had AC, I kind of both chose and had to go without AC down here. I now choose it, though my AC crapped out a few months ago in the car I have now, so I don’t have much choice at least in the car you get some forced air flow.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Eek. At home, no I don’t think it’s possible. OKC isn’t vastly different from East Texas, and seeing as how homes have been built to take advantage of AC for decades, naw, I don’t think it’s viable.

But, it’s interesting because when I moved from CA, where neither our 1960s house nor my ‘68 Mustang, had AC, I kind of both chose and had to go without AC down here. I now choose it, though my AC crapped out a few months ago in the car I have now, so I don’t have much choice at least in the car you get some forced air flow.
OKC has more of a dry heat than East Texas, right?

Old 08-08-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Not really. December was above normal but then January, February, March saw plenty of cold temps (about average) and the cold temps lasted unusually long into the Spring this year. Snow flurries even in mid April. We got pretty decent snowfall this year in February, up to six inches in some areas.

Wikipedia, from Climate of Oklahoma City article: with an average in December thru February of 6.3 days reaching 70 °F (21 °C), warm spells are common and most winters see the thermometer rise that high.

The mean maximum for February in OKC is 76.

You were just lucky to be there during one of the warm spells, which happens every winter.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,680,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
OKC has more of a dry heat than East Texas, right?
I think a more apt description is a less humid heat.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think a more apt description is a less humid heat.
Mich less humid, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City