Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:56 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times

Advertisements

I think the best city that is ripe for NBA expansion is Louisville, Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 08:32 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think the best city that is ripe for NBA expansion is Louisville, Kentucky.

Hampton Road Tidewater VA is going to have to Shoot Itself In The Foot If Louisville Gets A TEAM.

Louisville Had The Best ABA TEAM IN THE WORLD AND THE BEST BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THE WORLD and ownership wouldn't upgrade to the NBA.....Nobody to blame but themselves.......

Old 07-03-2021, 07:18 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Wouldn’t attend a game even if it was free.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:02 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Tulsa is Blacklisted because of The Tulsa Shocks WNBA Team Folding In Town.
Tulsa isn't blacklisted. It's not going to get a team because it's smaller than any metropolitan area in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL, with the sole exception of Green Bay. However, the Packers are a holdover from the days when smaller cities had teams, and it draws support from Milwaukee (which has no NFL team, and is about the same distance from Green Bay as Oklahoma City is from Tulsa). There are no less than 26 metros with more people that Tulsa which don't have an NBA team. It's not going to get a team because it would make absolutely zero sense for either an owner or the league to put one there.

Greater LA will get a 3rd NBA team (the Sacramento Kings looked at moving to Anaheim a few years back) before Tulsa gets one.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Tulsa isn't blacklisted. It's not going to get a team because it's smaller than any metropolitan area in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL, with the sole exception of Green Bay. However, the Packers are a holdover from the days when smaller cities had teams, and it draws support from Milwaukee (which has no NFL team, and is about the same distance from Green Bay as Oklahoma City is from Tulsa). There are no less than 26 metros with more people that Tulsa which don't have an NBA team. It's not going to get a team because it would make absolutely zero sense for either an owner or the league to put one there.

Greater LA will get a 3rd NBA team (the Sacramento Kings looked at moving to Anaheim a few years back) before Tulsa gets one.
Sorry that I deleted my last post , but i'm posting from my smart tv , which may have caused my
city data forum to format and look weird.

I know about Wisconsin MLSPORTS my wife family comes from there , been to both G.B. & Milwaukee.
However Wisconsin Sports Fans Are Rabid Sports Fans And Tulsan Aren't That's The Problem , And
Dropping The Ball With WNBA /ARENA FOOTBALL/MLS.......

Old 07-13-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Absolutely, and even then population is no guarantee. San Diego (#8 rank in population) lost their Clippers to LA. Jacksonville (#13) and Columbus (#14) also lack NBA teams.

An NBA team for Tulsa (#48) would be an insult to Austin (#11), an hour south to the Alamo and the Spurs.

It would also be akin to Tucson (#33) getting a franchise with PHX 90 minutes to the north. There are a lot larger metros that might support a franchise. Like Seattle (#18), still smarting from their loss/OKC's gain, and KC/Omaha, who used to host the Sacramento Kings. The ranks I have posted are for the city itself, if the MSA (metro) is used, Tulsa drops down to #54.

Thanks to the Census website for the city ranks.
San Diego/Austin/Tucson/Honolulu/Tulsa don't have the Rabid Sports Fans....

Jacksonville/Columbus/K.C./St. Louis/Seattle over saturated.......

Old 07-18-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Maybe if OKC had 3 million people in it's metropolitan area and Tulsa 2 million, but given the current population/demographics of the state and the two cities, Oklahoma is lucky to have the Thunder.
Maybe OKC 2 Million and Tulsa 1 1/2 Million , and also Tulsa getting itself some rabid sports fans like OKC.

Tulsa has a long way to go in building itself a major league sports fan base.

Another point to consider , is Oklahomans will never allow OKC toooooo
to grow into a mini Phoenix AZ.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:28 PM

30,142 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Maybe OKC 2 Million and Tulsa 1 1/2 Million , and also Tulsa getting itself some rabid sports fans like OKC.

Tulsa has a long way to go in building itself a major league sports fan base.

Another point to consider , is Oklahomans will never allow OKC toooooo
to grow into a mini Phoenix AZ.

How would stop that? There is a lot of flat buildable land all around the OKC area. More like a mini Dallas Ft. Worth

Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How would stop that? There is a lot of flat buildable land all around the OKC area. More like a mini Dallas Ft. Worth
I hope that you are right , but keep a lookout for those anti growth folks.

3 Million OKC Metro is larger than KCMO/St. Louis/Char NC/Indianapolis/Cleveland/
Cinn OH/Columbus OH.

OKC would be climbing to near DENVER AND SEATTLE STATUS.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM

17,777 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
I hope that you are right , but keep a lookout for those anti growth folks.

3 Million OKC Metro is larger than KCMO/St. Louis/Char NC/Indianapolis/Cleveland/
Cinn OH/Columbus OH.

OKC would be climbing to near DENVER AND SEATTLE STATUS.
OKC and Tulsa have never had growth like that because they are too close to those other major metros. Historically, every single large oil company ever created in Oklahoma has ended up either moving to Texas or being bought out by one in Texas. Conoco, Phillips, Sun, Kerr McGee, Champlin...the list is long.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this new generation of Oil and Gas Cos from Oklahoma end up doing. With modern communication and transportation there isn't the pressure to move like their was in the past. It would all be due to taxes and financials these days.

I've always felt like OKC and Tulsa's chance for growth will come when Houston, DFW, Denver, KC and STL get so big and unwieldy that they lose their appeal. I guess you can add Austin to that list nowadays.

Hasn't really happened yet but it might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City