Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM

62 posts, read 253,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalanda View Post
Hmm, needless to say, I really didn't find a nice apartment. Well, I did look at the Lincoln at Central Park, but I heard they have flooding issues, so that kinda discouraged me, but a lot of the other I saw were scary. I didn't get a chance to make it to Mustang or Yukon. **sigh** The search continues....
Instead of paying someone else's mortgage on a rental (where you get garbage for appliances and other necessities), why not buy a house? YOU gain... Not some investor who is in it for the money and could care less about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 29,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallway View Post
Instead of paying someone else's mortgage on a rental (where you get garbage for appliances and other necessities), why not buy a house? YOU gain... Not some investor who is in it for the money and could care less about you.

I would love to buy a house, but needless to say, since I'll be a student and working part time or not at all, I really wouldn't have the income to buy a house. And I don't plan to make Oklahoma City my home once I finish school there, and with the housing market the way it is, I wouldn't commit to a house, only not to be able to resale it. Also (not that this is anyone's business), but I was very ill for nearly a year, and actually disabled and not working for a while there, so I have next to no savings. now, anyone else have any advice I would appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Imt

15 posts, read 40,548 times
Hi all, i had moved from England to OKC in June 2003 to finish my MBA from UCO, Edmond. OKC is a pleasant city. Flat land and lots of sunshine. People are nice. This i know because i worked in gas stations where you come across various people. crime is of course there in certain areas like every other city. There are many gangs here too and lot of shootings take place between gangs only. I'm still here and work for the state of OK. The houses and shopping malls are great. Lots of open place and lot of potential for beautiful houses. Edmond is a posh town, highly educated people and great public school system. I live in south okc, ghetto type. schools are bad and quality of education worse. East side is bad neighbourhood. Much of South is predominantly mexicans and blacks. Housing is low and wages are also low. North is rich. OKC is a good place to start small business because unlike other big metros we dont have to spend millions on location and overheads. Overall, OKC is a far better place than other big metros in my view. No traffic congestions like London!! But the public transportation is not at all good. Car is a must and almost everybody has a car. Visit OKC and get first hand info and i'm sure you may like it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Imt

15 posts, read 40,548 times
Default Buy a house in okc

buying a house in okc is not that expensive. of course it depends what type of house one needs. taxes are not so high. we do have sales tax of 8.7%. instead of renting one can start buying a house. there is always resale value.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 AM

20 posts, read 71,637 times
Lalanda,

While it has been a few years since I lived in OKC, I too went to school at OSU-OKC. The comment about avoiding 23rd street is pretty true now from May ave to anything pretty much east. Starting around Portland things get better but there are still areas to think about because since we left those apartments have become Federally subsidized and that can bring in elements you may not desire.

I would avoid 10th and Council as it was pretty rough when we lived there. If you can swing it, South OKC has been pretty stable, especially around the South May/Pen/Western area south of 74th street.

Where do you plan to work? You could end up around 63rd and Portland/Meridian and those were pretty good areas. Then its a straight shot up Portland to the school.

good luck and enjoy the city. It has new and exciting things happening.

Take care,

Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 29,729 times
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post. I have moved to Oklahoma City and I have been living in a wonderful complex for about 3 weeks, and I have no complaints so far. Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:26 PM

66 posts, read 246,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalanda View Post
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post. I have moved to Oklahoma City and I have been living in a wonderful complex for about 3 weeks, and I have no complaints so far. Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post.
That's great news - I hope the locals haven't scared you out of living near "blacks and mexicans". The more dangerous parts of town haave more to do with socio economics than they do with the racial makeup of the neighborhoods. ALWAYS keep that in mind. Edmond is very expensive, congested (a stop light every five feet, it seems), and it takes longer to actually get to OKC city limits than it should.

That kind of research realistically should take place before one actually commits to living in a city, but I'm happy you found a place that's working out for you. Enjoy your stay! You'll learn even more from your classmates, and adjust accordingly if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City