Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 19,356 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that the schools in Edmond are great, but there are so many of them. We are relocating with elementary aged children and I want to pick a good fit. Which elementary schools offer the most extra curriculum? The kigh schools seem so big. Is the Deer Creek district better than Edmond? What about Oakdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,072 times
Deer Creek schools are awesome. You needn't ask me about Edmond schools though. I was born and raised in Edmond. Went to Cimarron Middle School in 1990-93. Summit and Sequoyah were our rivals. Went to Edmond Memorial High School. Santa Fe was sort of a rival, but no where near as much as Edmond North High School. A lot has changed in the last 12 years. But, Edmond continues to boom and invest heavily in education.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
I too went to Edmond schools, Summit and then Santa fe (Grad 99). And as mentioned alot has changed in the last decade. I felt the schools were good when I went there and I know Santa Fe has continued to add to thier buildings.

I now have a child in the Deer Creek district (going into 3rd grade). So far I am satisfied with the schooling and do not feel she is missing out on anything. There has been some question on here before as far as the funding for Deer Creek Schools goes. They get alot from the parents and have annual silent auctions to raise money. Deer Creek is also expanding adding a couple more schools. With Edmond growing as it is most new residents to the West of Edmond are in the Deer Creek district.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM

160 posts, read 975,714 times
I have heard that Oakdale schools are some of the best. They go to Edmond Memorial HS. It is a very small district, and as such, may not have the services available that a larger district would have. Not sure if you will need services, but we do and that is why I chose Edmond over the Oakdale area. Also, they bus kids from elementary thru HS on the same bus. Apparently, it works for them but some parents may not like that. A friend has told me it works because everyone pretty much knows each other. Now, I have heard that Deer Creek has some growing pains. Although test scores are high, I have also heard that there is a higher rate of remediation out of the DC district. Edmond is more established and is able to handle their growth better. This is why we chose Edmond over the other two districts. My child
is on the autistic spectrum and I did not want to deal with the growing pains of a newer school district. Now, regarding schools in Edmond...some have a better rep than others. I can go into more detail if you like, just ask or PM me. Good luck to you.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 19,356 times
thank you for your honesty. My son goes to a neighborhood school here in Colorado. I really love the community feel of it. They have fun days and a carnival. I love walking him to school. His teachers have been personable and we email back and forth. They let me volunteer in the classroom. I'm loking for a place like that. My son also wants a school that offers sports, like running.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 PM

160 posts, read 975,714 times
They have lots of activities throughout the year....book fairs, dances, bingo nights, ....etc. You will have many opportunities to volunteer within your child's school, or even specifically for your child's teacher as homeroom Mom. One thing I forgot to mention is that there are 2 choice schools in Edmond, Russel Dougherty and Clegern. These schools only have two classes per grade and a max of about 250 students in the entire school. This may also be a good option for you if you prefer a smaller environment. They do not have bus service, so you will need to either walk or drive your child. Also, entrance is based on a lottery, so you will need to look into that.
I have found everyone to be very personable here. The teachers are warm and caring and I just love the Principal at my son's elementary school. She has been very responsive and caring regarding my concerns (my son is on an IEP and needs some services). If I can think of anything else, I will get back to you, but right now am on my way out to a b-day party.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,067 times
Edmond is a wonderful place to live, education and family is top priority. We have lived here over 15 years and have raised our children here. I was always told and continue to hear that in regards to our three high schools, Santa Fe was the sport school, Memorial was the art school, and Edmond North was academics. We bought in the Edmond North High, Seqouyah Middle, and Northern Hills Elementry area. Wonderful schools!!! Our youngest also attended private school, wonderful also! I have no complaints what so ever. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City