Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 AM

12 posts, read 17,538 times

Advertisements

What a great site! Crazy because after doing a lot of internet research I bought 3 acres of land off hwy 271 between Antlers and Clayton---sight unseen. I have recently traveled down there and was not disappointed by the beauty of the area. I plan to maybe just build a simple cabin and spend a couple monthes in the winter there. In my short visit I found the people to be friendly---I'm from Iowa and tend to find people friendly everwhere...lol Sooo this is a pretty general question but I would appereciate some info about living out in the country in this area both pro's and con's.....Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Pros:

Beauty
Relative Isolation
Nice Lakes
Krebs
Cheap living expenses

Cons:

Reasonable distance to amenities
Ice storms in winter
Pretty vicious rough and tumble underclass around there.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM

181 posts, read 298,083 times
Welcome to Oklahoma, even though I'm writing this from Michigan! Lol.

I can only write about Antlers, although technically I've never lived there. However, my mom grew up just west of Antlers out in the country (Moyers), and Granny moved to Antlers when I was 10, just after Grandpa died. So, I grew up visiting Antlers for a few weeks every summer, and more often when I lived in Tulsa for a few years. My last visit was in March of 2010, when Granny finally passed away. I still have 2 aunts that live there.

As you already know, it's a very beautiful area. Way, WAY too country for my taste, but to each their own, right? Anyway, my family always liked it there. It's culturally the most "southern" part of the state, so the people are generally friendly. Lots of outdoor things to do, especially if you like to fish.

The area has quite a bit of poverty, to mention a negative. But generally, a nice place to spend the winter.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma