Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM

185 posts, read 405,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primordialwool View Post
I'm contemplating taking a job there. I grew up in the mid-atlantic, lived in the PNW for 6 years. I've never been in the south.

I'm an atheist and tend to be rather liberal, but also kinda radical. The things I've liked about previous places I've lived are walking/biking paths, grocery stores with organic, vegetarian, and ethnic foods, having a yarn store (not a chain like Jo-ann's, but an independently-owned store that sells natural, not synthetic yarn). I liked living in the PNW b/c people were very open and accepting of people.

So, does Altus have anything that I would like? I've been told that b/c of the air force base, that people of different cultures live there and that they are very accepting and welcoming? Is that true? I've always had the idea that the south was pretty racist compared to the rest of the country. How would a non-religious, non-traditional type of person fare in Altus?
It's been 10 years or so since I lived in Altus. There were things I liked about it, especially since I had a place out in the country with animals. But it is definitely not for just anyone. The locals are generally hard-working, religious people. Generally. But they are rather stand-offish, especially if you don't go to THEIR particular church. I don't think the base has all that much of an impact, culturally speaking. A lot of base people live ON the base and their world revolves around the base. Unless things have changed recently, it can be hard to find a place to live, especially one to rent. Those that buy houses in Altus traditionally have a hard time unloading them. Altus is that sort of place that a person really SHOULD visit before moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM

12 posts, read 33,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
Altus is that sort of place that a person really SHOULD visit before moving there.
Well, I had a phone interview, and the next step would be an in-person interview. So, I will have a chance to see the town.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 AM

24,307 posts, read 13,152,190 times
I agree that one should visit first. SW OK is not the Northwest. In the Air Force I moved around but only once did I ever go somewhere without having been there before; not that there was much choice, but at least there were no surprises.

Cactus: Yes. Prickly pears, mostly. Not too terribly pervasive like they were in Arizona. No stately saguaros.

Scorpions: Having become so used to them in AZ I just take a piece of sticky tape, lay it over the beast until it adheres, and fold over like an envelope. Takes practice. They're not aggressive. Yes, the first time I saw one I was shocked, but I WAS living in their domain.

One additional thought: Today we are in TORCON 5 out of 10. Tornadoes occur often in Oklahoma and anywhere in the Southern Plains. What I like about them is the fact they ARE predictable, and one can take protective measures in advance. Not like earthquakes.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 AM

24,307 posts, read 13,152,190 times
Clarification: The conditions which spawn tornadoes are well-known and predictable.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 AM

275 posts, read 472,158 times
I have lived in Altus for almost 18 years and I came here with the military and am still employed by the base. You will not find an organic food store here, but I hear there is a farmer's market that is operated in the summer time. Last summer, it was 110-120 most of the summer and this summer it was 100-110 for most of the summer. Long periods of no rain and sometimes high winds that make you feel like you live in a hair dryer. Yes, there is a taco bell, but no Wendy's or a Starbucks. For those, you travel about 60 miles east to Lawton. There are very few craft stores here, but you might be able to find some yarn and supplies at one of the stores around the court square. We do have "ethnic" food here such as Thai, Mexican, Chinese, and some really good American food places (comfort foods and burgers), along with the chain restaurants. The people are just like everywhere else, friendly with a few being not so nice. There is a reservoir in town with two "ponds" that quite a few people walk, jog, or ride bikes around it for exercise and the farming land surrounding the town is vast. As for critters, just the usual. Scorpions here will sting you if you get too close, but it's not poisonous, it just burns for a few hours and ice helps with that (from personal experience and only once in the last 18 years). There are a few in the country that sell eggs from their own chickens and there is a meat store in town. Land wise, the town is small compared to the about 24,000 that live here (about 4 miles N-S and 5 miles E-W give or take). There are people of all cultural backgrounds here, so finding what you are looking might not be too bad. It's hot and dry in the summer, windy year round and not as green as I would like it. Where are you interviewing?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,607 times
With all the places you've lived before and now considering Altus.. that will be a bit of a culture shock.. especially being you lived in the PACNW.. which I dearly love BTW. The people seem pretty nice in Altus, although with the military base there, I hear the bars can become quite rambunctious on a weekend night. Real estate is cheaper there than most places in Okla. Although, I strongly suggest you rent for the first year. Pretty much what others said echo's true so no need to regurgitate that info. I will say that the weather may take getting use to. Altus is one of the hottest places in the state, infact the last two summers, Altus has seen many days at or above 110F and we are in the midst of a drought which I suspect won't truly wane for at least a couple more years (refer to my weather thread here on CD if you wish).

Overall, if you can easily adapt to the change of culture and climate.. you should do well. Oklahomans are some of the friendliest anywhere and the economy, even in Altus.. is better than many other places in the country. Best of luck if you decide to give it a try.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
There are a few in the country that sell eggs from their own chickens and there is a meat store in town.
Sorry for the late response; I didn't realize people were still answering my question. I do love fresh eggs. Such much better than storebought. Big, yellow yolks...yummy.

Quote:
Land wise, the town is small compared to the about 24,000 that live here (about 4 miles N-S and 5 miles E-W give or take). There are people of all cultural backgrounds here, so finding what you are looking might not be too bad. It's hot and dry in the summer, windy year round and not as green as I would like it. Where are you interviewing?
I interviewed at the hospital. I really liked the people I would be working with. The volume of work isn't as high as I'm used to (I'm a fast worker and really like to be busy), but the work week is 3 12-hour shifts. I've interviewed at other places that are busier, but I have to be there 5 days a week. I love a lot of downtime, and I have numerous hobbies, so the extra days off are a real perk for me.

As for the lack of green, I don't mind. I was able to breathe freely for the entire time I was in OK. As soon as my plane touched down back home, my nose stuffed up again. I'm allergic to grass, ragweed, and mold. I don't know if OK has ragweed, but it will be nice not to have to worry about grass and mold. I had a lot of mold issues in the wet PNW. And lots of grass and ragweed here in the mid-atlantic.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
With all the places you've lived before and now considering Altus.. that will be a bit of a culture shock.. especially being you lived in the PACNW.. which I dearly love BTW.
I do still miss my time in the PNW. But I can always fly back and visit.

Yes, it will be a culture shock. I was reading the newspaper one morning, and there was an article about the U of O preferentially admitting blacks. I called my friend and read that to her, and we laughed on the phone.

Quote:
Altus is one of the hottest places in the state, infact the last two summers, Altus has seen many days at or above 110F and we are in the midst of a drought which I suspect won't truly wane for at least a couple more years (refer to my weather thread here on CD if you wish).
I went to see the lake and Quartz Mountain (gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous). I could spend all of my free time there and never tire of it, I think. I was told that it was about 30 feet lower than usual.

Quote:
Overall, if you can easily adapt to the change of culture and climate.. you should do well. Oklahomans are some of the friendliest anywhere and the economy, even in Altus.. is better than many other places in the country. Best of luck if you decide to give it a try.
I used to travel for work. I've been in Arizona, Colorado, and Iowa. I found something to like about every place. Each state has its own beauty, and there is something positive about each one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma