Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,274 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when Blair, Oklahoma (located in Jackson County) was established? I have been told it was in 1907 but can not find any documentation on that date.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,482 times
Default When Blair, Oklahoma was established

I graduated from Blair High School - and while doing some research, found information at this link: A Place Called Blair (http://blairsociety.org/blplace.htm - broken link)

Blair - A town in Jackson County, in the extreme Southwest corner of Oklahoma, about 15 miles North of the Texas border, Its population was 1,142 in 1886. The name honors John Blair, a local railroad official.

So, it appears Blair was established prior to 1907, but from school, I remember that Oklahoma became a state in 1907.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 12,482 times
Default When Blair became a state

And I have since found this information at this link: Blair This makes sense because I remember the Zinn family from when I lived there many years ago. If you go to the link, there is an article about the tornado and about a battle that was fought in or near Blair.

[CENTER][SIZE=3]The town of Blair started out as "Dot", named after the first Postmaster, B.B. Zinn's daughter. In the early days the Postmaster was paid by the number of 1 cent stamps he sold.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]As the town grew, area citizens realized Dot was not in a good location for expansion because of a nearby stream. After several meetings a new location was decided on from locations suggested by a Railroad official named Mr. Blair.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]The official beginning of the town of Blair was[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]August 26, 1901 [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]The first hotel in Blair was built by John B. Marble. $2.00 per night included the evening meal.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]A cyclone destroyed the old hotel in 1928.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER]The story of the Battle of Soldier Springs that took place a few miles northeast of Blair in 1868 told by Cecil Chesser[/CENTER]

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,137 times
Default Blair

I have a book that was written about Blair by my 5th grade teacher, Phillip Zinn. I cannot find it right now, but I can tell you that Blair has had a school since the 1880's (1886 I think). I think I remember seeing the year 1886 painted on the outside of the school.

Blair has not always been Blair. The town's name was previousely "Dot", though I am not sure why the name was changed. I always heard about a tornado that ripped the town up and that the town had been moved. There was some old pictures in the school that showed the old school house, as the one currently used has been around since the 30's or 40's...I think.

The Zinn's that you refer too are one of the families that founded the town way back before statehood.

Hope this helps

Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,044 times
Blair was a settlement before it was called "DOT" or "BLAIR".
The settlement has moved around, as is true of most cities in their early establishment.
The placement of the railroad was the reason for the last adjustment.
Altus was readjusted becausse of the flooding of Fraiser.

The city which pre dated "DOT" and "BLAIR" had been here for centuries.
"Pre-Blair" was the trade capital for a very large region.
A musem in Washington, DC is dedicated to this "Pre-Blair".

Early members of my family, along with many others whose decendents still live in the area, carried on trade with the inhabitants of this once great city.

The Spaniards came to "Pre-Blair", for in it they had hopes of finding the Golden City of "Eldorado". (They missed Eldorado by only a few miles)

The Nation of France and Spain fought a war for the opportunity to trade with the city of "Pre-Blair".

Unfortunately, the history of one of the most important cities in this entire part of the world is not even taught to the children of Blair.

Even though I had been told stories of Ancient Blair by my Great grand mother and my Grand mother of 2 different families, I did not even become aware of Blair's glory days, untill I went to OU to work on a phd in ancient history. That is a shame perpetrated by our lazy history teachers.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,914 times
Wow GlenMcCall, that is really interesting. I lived in Blair for 10 years and was never taught that in school. (Not that I can remember anyway) Always interesting to learn facts about a town you lived in. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,661 times
can anyone offer sum advice on moving to blair or altus ok/im a single mother of one seeking to relocate to ok.any advice will be gladly accepted/due that i know of anyone in ok/just trying to relocate to a different state.thanking you in advance.also seeking employment.have experience in the field of working with mentally challenged adults/children

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,506 times
Default Moving to Blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by running lady43 View Post
can anyone offer sum advice on moving to blair or altus ok/im a single mother of one seeking to relocate to ok.any advice will be gladly accepted/due that i know of anyone in ok/just trying to relocate to a different state.thanking you in advance.also seeking employment.have experience in the field of working with mentally challenged adults/children
Running Lady43,
Just ran across your post on moving to Blair. Blair is a great little town in southwest oklahoma. It's a wonderful place to raise you children. They don't have to worry about the gang situation or drugs like the larger cities. There is employment opportunities around here depending on your experience etc. Blair isn't perfect but it's sure a lot better than other places. I think you'll enjoy the slower way of life around here and there's always someone willing to help. I hope you enjoy our great town.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,391 times
hi!

did anyone know of a prostitute living in Blair Oklahoma in the mid 50's? She had a daughter named June? I am doing research and looking for stories about Blair in the mid 50s, especially this family. Thanks! please email me at : [email]wood.elizabeth.a@gmail.com[/email] with any stories about this time period! thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
Hello GlenMcCall - That was a great story ...amazing! What was the name of the pre-Blair settlement and where can we find information on it? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma